Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Now with less sodium!

Immortal Goat is probably a spambot
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 01:16 PM       
There. Title fixed.

Honestly, this is the stupidest thing for them to do. They are going to release an unfinished system globally just to make holiday sales rush. It's going to cost a ton of money, while it will be going up against 2 cheaper consoles at the same time.

Plus, it's still using blue-ray, which will fail as a media format. Here's why:

Cost: It costs more to produce and code blue-ray

Demand: The demand won't be there. People will look at the two upcoming formats and say this "Hmm... blue-ray? What the fuck is that? OH! HD-DVD! I know what HD is, and I know what a DVD is! It must be good!"

Microsoft: If MS doesn't want a media format to succeed, it won't succeed. All they need to do is make sure Windows doesn't read it. And if that happens, Apple computers won't read it, because Microsoft owns part of Apple.

So, yeah, people aren't going to dig the blue-ray, they won't dig the price, and so far, the system is far from finished. Unless they magically pull a system out of their ass, the PS3 will be bogged down with more problems than the PS2 was.
Hitler's Canoe!
MetalMilitia is probably a spambot
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 01:21 PM       
Also Sony seems to be loosing their court battle against Immersion about the dual shock controller which may see them paying out a shit load of cash.
Mocker
thebiggameover is probably a spambot
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 02:08 PM       
japs love sony, japs dont love ms, and everybody likes nintendo. sony will be fine......
Now with less sodium!

Old Mar 15th, 2006, 02:42 PM       
Oh, Sony's gonna be fine no matter what. It's the consumers who will suffer from havinng to spend 500 bucks on a half-finished system.
Marc Summers is probably a spambot
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 03:25 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal Goat
There. Title fixed.

Honestly, this is the stupidest thing for them to do. They are going to release an unfinished system globally just to make holiday sales rush. It's going to cost a ton of money, while it will be going up against 2 cheaper consoles at the same time.

Plus, it's still using blue-ray, which will fail as a media format. Here's why:

Cost: It costs more to produce and code blue-ray

Demand: The demand won't be there. People will look at the two upcoming formats and say this "Hmm... blue-ray? What the fuck is that? OH! HD-DVD! I know what HD is, and I know what a DVD is! It must be good!"

Microsoft: If MS doesn't want a media format to succeed, it won't succeed. All they need to do is make sure Windows doesn't read it. And if that happens, Apple computers won't read it, because Microsoft owns part of Apple.

So, yeah, people aren't going to dig the blue-ray, they won't dig the price, and so far, the system is far from finished. Unless they magically pull a system out of their ass, the PS3 will be bogged down with more problems than the PS2 was.
Demand: Remember when the PS2 came out? "Hmmm DVD? What the fuck is that?" PS2 practically opened the door to Japan for DVDs when it came out. Plus, there's always consumer loyalty. People who bought PS2 will most likely buy a PS3. XBox will go to the 360, Gamecube will go to the Rev. Sony has a large fanbase (over 100M consoles sold, I know that means there's probably less than 100M people who bought it ), and they're using that to push their new media format. All I can say about who will win the media format war: we'll see. I hate speculating.

Microsoft doesn't want a lot of things to succeed. While they can't dictate what goes on in the market, they sure act like they can. Didn't they have some problems releasing the system? There were more than a few consoles that didn't work correctly, and there was a huge shortage. Sounds like the PS2 launch, I know. I know one problem was that if you turned the 360 from vertical to horizonal or vice versa, it scratches your disc to hell. There's a warning about this in the manual somewhere, but come on...

Don't talk as if you know the price. Saying that it's going to be $500 is just feeding rumors, just like if I said it's going to be $300 or $400 and freaked out about it. I never buy consoles at launch anyway. I usually wait until the first or second price drop. About the system being half-finished, we'll see what happens in November. I'm not going to talk as if I know how far along the PS3 development is, because I just don't know for sure, just like the rest of the public.

Here's why I'm buying the PS3: the games. There was not one game I saw as an XBox exclusive where I just totally wanted it. Some looking kinda interesting, but not anything that made me want to go out and buy one. All the games that I would like to play on XBox were already ported to/from the PS2 (Burnout series, SSX series), so buying an XBox would be redundant. Gamecube does do that for me with some games, however. If I ran out and bought a GC right now, I'd get SSBM, the Metroids, Twilight princess when it comes out, and maybe Fire Emblem or Mario Party 7 or Double Dash. For the PS2, there were just tons of games I liked. Katamari Damacy + sequel, Final Fantasy series, Guilty Gear, Ratchet and Clank series, Shadow of the Colossus, God of War, and I'm looking forward to Okami, FFXII, and maybe World of Mana, but I don't know enough about it to really want it yet.
Now with less sodium!

Old Mar 15th, 2006, 03:52 PM       
Buying a system for the games is the only good reason to buy one. Still, I have to address something about your comment on the demand for blue-ray.

At the time that the PS2 came out, DVD already existed. This time around, however, Sony has created a new media format just for the sake of competing with HD-DVD. Blue-Ray isn't that much better than HD-DVD, and it's too expensive.

Consumer loyalty is the worst reason to buy a console. Just because one company made it doesn't mean it will be worth two shits. I know that I will like some of the games on the PS3, and I will eventually own one, most likely.
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 04:38 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by James
I've really been very unimpressed with the 360 thus far, as have many folks. What about it are you so enthralled with?
Well, I'm not the kind of person who sits and bitches about graphics and things not being "AS GOOD AS THEY SHOULD BE!!!" or whatever and I've just really enjoyed it so far. Fun games, awesome graphics, controller, features. I'm not saying it's the only system I'll ever use ever again, but I'm enjoying it a whole fuck of a lot.

That was very funny. Well done.
Marc Summers is probably a spambot
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 04:49 PM       
Consumer loyalty is not a good reason to buy a console, I agree. When I rented the N64 and the PS1 before making a choice, I was totally thinking about buying the 64. But after playing both, I totally changed my mind. Although that consumer loyalty isn't the best criteria to buy a next-gen console, that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Blu-ray holds 25GB per layer, HD-DVD holds 15.
http://www.somacon.com/p116.php
You also keep saying stuff is "too expensive" when you don't list the final, official price :/
Banned
Location: Illinois, Alberta, Canada, Thailand, Space, Groundling Marsh, Manhattan, Man Hat Ton
ArrowX sucks
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 06:42 PM       
Sony thinks there gonna do good no matter what, and if they backed out of Blu-Ray now and stuck with HD they'd be fine. They won't because they need the added 5-10 GBs to store all the super great in game models shit when in essence is useless. Take Metal Gear Solid 3 for example, it has fucking amazing graphics even if Its on the low end of the hardware spectrum (in terms of graphical capability)

My point is FUCK all this newfangled super graphics sure its nice but I dont' want to see more of these bullshit games that have amazing graphics but boast mediocre gameplay. Developes need to realize that the quality of graphics will top out VERY VERY soon and they need to start focousing on gameplay.
Slim Goodbody
Supafly345 is probably a real personSupafly345 is probably a real person
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 08:04 PM       
If they don't lower their price then they are going to end up like the Sega Saturn, when they didn't lower their price to compete they died out.
StupidNinja is probably a spambot
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 02:09 PM       
I think Sony is watching how the 360 is doing.First of all,Sony of all company's doesn't need a next console ,almost every person has already a PS2.Second,They are just trying to hype theirself with CGI demomovies (supposedly ingame footage) rendered on hardware that doesn't have anything to do with the PS3machine at all.I think Sony is pulling a "dreamcast" on MS here...
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 02:48 PM       
People keep mentioning "coding Blu-ray" and I'd just like to say that there's very little issue with making "code" work for "Blu-Ray" because Blu-ray is a hardware change that doesn't affect the data on the disc.

Hardware? Yeah. Drivers? Yeah. Games? No.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Guitar Woman is probably a real personGuitar Woman is probably a real person
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 03:21 PM       
Oh AChimp you silly everyone knows nintendo is the only (CONSOLE FINE W/E ) videogame company that still cares about games
Royal Tenenbaum is probably a spambot
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 05:59 PM       
Konami. Sqaure-Enix. Capcom (sometimes)...
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 06:03 PM       
I was talking about console-producing companies. I'm sorry for forgetting how many stupid fuckers post here, from now on I'll just recap the entire conversation in my posts so you won't have to read the whole thread you fuckmallet.
Slim Goodbody
Supafly345 is probably a real personSupafly345 is probably a real person
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 08:41 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tenenbaum
Sqaure-Enix.
She didn't say "care about making dellusional artfag crap"
Now with less sodium!

Old Mar 16th, 2006, 08:50 PM       
I couldn't agree more, Supa. While SOME of their games have proven to be entertianing (FF Tactics, but ONLY for the gameplay, not the storyline), most of Sqeenix's games rely too much on their own cliche' "angsty protaganist meets, wants, gets, loses girl while running into some WILD AND CRAZY GUYS on the way" bullshit stories that have fueled the entire line of games since FF VII (which SUCKED btw).

EDIT: Oh, and the gameplay in every Final fantasy game ever is the equivalent of going through a DVD menu, but the movies at the end aren't nearly as satisfying.
Banned
Location: Illinois, Alberta, Canada, Thailand, Space, Groundling Marsh, Manhattan, Man Hat Ton
ArrowX sucks
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 09:05 PM       
Considering the next Final Fantasy is gonna be on the 360

Square-Enix was one of the first to jump onto the 360 bandwagon, Blue Dragon among other games.
Mocker

James sucks
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 10:19 PM       
I like how a thread about how the PS3 might be delayed in the US quickly turns into how badly Square-Enix (only homogays say Squeenix) suck.

Natural progression time: There hasn't been a single flawless Mario game for the Gamecube. Average/above average, fine. But nothing nearly as great as what the N64 and earlier brought us.
Charming
Dr. V is probably a spambot
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 11:19 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Woman
you reveloution buyers better watch out because i could totally kick the asses of everyone here at super smash brothers online
Oh... oh it is ON!
Banned
ArrowX sucks
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 12:46 AM       
I seriously can't wait untill the "Annual Forum Smash Bros Tourney" starts!
Now with less sodium!

Old Mar 17th, 2006, 02:51 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by James
I like how a thread about how the PS3 might be delayed in the US quickly turns into how badly Square-Enix (only homogays say Squeenix) suck.

Natural progression time: There hasn't been a single flawless Mario game for the Gamecube. Average/above average, fine. But nothing nearly as great as what the N64 and earlier brought us.
I never said that anything has topped Mario 64. That is, undoubtedly, 3d mario perfection. BUT, considering that there has only been ONE true Mario game on the Gamecube, that argument is kinda moot.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 12:06 PM       
What the hell do you mean above average? Sunshine was a bigger pile of shit than starfox adventures.
Puddle Pirate! ARRRR!
DamnthatDavid is probably a spambot
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 01:24 PM       
I played 5 minutes of Sunshine... that was to much.

Mario is a done bit. Zelda is the new nintendo mascot.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 01:57 PM       
The game disc for Twilight Princess better be made of pure concentrated awesomeness