Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Music
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Baalzamon is probably a spambot
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 05:44 PM        The Offspring To Release 'Chinese Democracy'
http://www.offspring.com/

03.28.03 - The Offspring To Release 'Chinese Democracy'.
Multi-platinum Sony artists THE OFFSPRING are recording their new disc with producer BRENDAN O'BRIEN in Los Angeles. The album is titled 'CHINESE DEMOCRACY', which also happens to be the title of the long-awaited GUNS N ROSES album, currently in limbo. When reached for comment, The Offspring's front man/vocalist, DEXTER HOLLAND, said "You snooze, you lose." Holland further added, "AXL [ROSE] ripped-off my braids, so I ripped-off his album title." 'Chinese Democracy', The Offspring's seventh album, is scheduled for release in early summer. It follows CONSPIRACY OF ONE, also produced by O'Brien.

NEW FACE IN HELL
Rongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's army
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 05:51 PM       
The Offspring suck.
Royal Tenenbaum is probably a spambot
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 06:06 PM       
I don't really like their music but I do think it is classic they are stealing that album title.
Captain Bukakke
Tropical is probably a spambot
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 11:40 PM       
You snooze you lose? More of, I create a steaming pile of shit and you lose.
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 11:57 PM       
Maybe they can rip off another Beatles melody on that album, too. Offspring suck, I'd rather see 10 more GNR albums.....
Les Waste is probably a spambot
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 12:26 AM       
I fucking hate the Offspring. They can form a massive chain with each other where they ferociously eat the insides of each other's asses out, and then choke to death on each others fecal matter for all I care. Sons of bitches.

But I do think stealing an album title from Guns and Roses is a spot-on idea. Especially since "Chinese Democracy" is a pretty cool name for an album.
Bobo Adobo is funnier and smarter than all of you, proven by the fact that he is currently in a high-paying and important government job where he earns a fat cash paycheck and much pussy. How did he get so famous and successful you ask? It's simple: he has never, in his entire life, watched one second of anime.
- Outerspacekid
Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 01:57 AM       
What's sad is the Offspring actually used to be good. Dirty Magic was a fucking great song. Hell, I pretty much loved all of their Ignition album.

Queefer Sutherland is probably a spambot
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 03:00 AM       
Yes, and I love Smash, and admittedly a few select tracks off the 2 subsequent ones.

I thought I was the only person crazy about Dirty Magic! I heard that and couldn't believe I wasn't listening to one of my fave postpunk bands with that dark chorus-ridden guitar assault. I've yet to get the debut rekkid though....

Zero Signal is probably a spambot
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 09:08 AM       
After hearing The Offspring live at Woodstock 99, I decided to NEVER, EVER see or hear them live again. They were fucking TERRIBLE. Dexter's singing was absolutely HORRID.

Old Apr 9th, 2003, 01:09 AM       
They where good untill Americana.

I liked The Offspring. Demons, Beheaded, Kill the President, Jennifer Lost The War, Tehran, its all just great angry stuff.

ignition I dont have yet, but if Dirty Magic is any indicator.... i'll have to pick it up.

and smash is what got me into it in the first place. theres so much good stuff on this album. Simple music sure, but thats what makes it great. Sure keep em seperated, self esteem and such is getting a little old now for me, but it was good in its time.

I also like most of ixnay on the hombre, though you can tell its starting to lag behind the earlier stuff now.

Americana and Conspiracy of One is where it all went to shit.

Granted both albums have a few awesome tracks that I really like , they also have several tracks that just suck ass , and guess what, those are the ones they released as singles what the fuck where they thinking!

And the problem is that those ones that suck , SUCK so much that they ruin everything else on those two albums , and make you want to hate everything the offspring have ever done.

Somewhere between Pretty Fly(for a white guy), Why Dont you Get a Job, and Original Prankster it all went to hell , and as a result its no wonder people who used to love them hate them with a passion now.

My friend who got me into smash back in 1995ish now hates them too.

So, I would rather skip the bad tracks and enjoy the rest of their music than simply say "The offspring suck", and its worked out well for me.

I've never seen them live and I doubt I ever will, but I can see how they probably wouldnt be very good. I'm not holding out for a live show or anything so I dont care.

Thats my daily rant, complete with semi- excessive emoticon use. :P

Generator86 is probably a spambot
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 03:31 PM       
I think they started going downhill as soon as they left Epitaph. Now I'm not one of those people who automatically screams "sellout" when a punk band signs to a major, but their music definitely took a turn towards pop/punk when they signed with Epic(?).

I'm glad that they're stealing the album title, though. It's too good a name not to use.

Quote:
you type well for being drunk...

Old Apr 9th, 2003, 06:02 PM       
They signed on to Columbia, and yes, they did turn poppy

Ixnay was the firs big label album, and you can definitely see a sort of half slide to pop in it.

It just gets worse looking at americana and then conspiracy of one

everything smash and previous was epitaph and kicked ass though
Lord Darian is probably a spambot
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 09:57 PM       
I like their early stuff, and I thought ixnay was a pretty good album doesnt sound like their early stuff but still good. But everything after sucked. As previously said they even ripped off the beatles. Listen to the Beatles-obli di obla da (life goes on) then listen to Offsprings- Why don't you get a job and you'll know what I'm talking about.

Old Apr 10th, 2003, 10:50 PM       
Ixnay was different, but thats what made it good. if they had just made smash 2 it would have been really stupid. I think Ixnay has a really unique feel to it, which shows that the band was at least willing to try new things.

I listened to americana today, and I have to say I think 70% of it is good, and there are just a few songs that really kill it otherwise.

I actually dont have conspiracy of one, but I have downloaded a few of the "better" tracks from it and I like them. I'll have to give the whole album a listen before I judge it too much. I want to try not to just point at original prankster and scream "crappy album!"

Really, if they'd stop trying to make radio hits like pretty fly and original prankster, and just stick to making those great tracks that nobody has ever heard about, they'd be a very decent and unique band. :/

Queefer Sutherland is probably a spambot
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 12:51 AM       
I know what you mean by "Why Don't You Get a Job" having a parallel with the Beatles tune, but I'm not sure it's safe to say they ripped it off simply because of that subtle similarity in the rhythm. Throughought the course of rock history many songs have tiny things in common with others, and it's never easy to tell if it was conscious. I'm sure "Dirty Magic" has the same similarity to some song from the 60s, if you catch my drift.

I myself write basslines(particularly leads) and some influences from certain players, sometimes even specific songs will creep in there without me even noticing until later. It's just how the mind works: you are a composite of whatever you listen to, stylistically speaking.
Little Monster
Miss Modular is probably a spambot
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 01:25 AM       
Yeah, "...Get a Job" sounds like it stole its rhythm line from "Ob-La-di, Ob-la-da".

Anyway, while I think that most of the Offspring's recent stuff has sucked, I thought that stealing their title from Guns & Roses was pretty funny. It's one of those "You snooze, You lose" situations.
Asspunch McGruf
Skulhedface is probably a spambot
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 09:36 AM       
Well, of course, what happened to Offspring, much like what happened to Korn, is that they figured out that they could get into the pages of Seventeen magazine. The hill only had one direction to go from there.