Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Baalzamon is probably a spambot
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 12:13 AM        Global Politics Quiz - comments welcome
I got this in my email a while a go, maybe a few of you have seen it.

first of all, I am no history expert, and i can definitely see how some of this is exaggerated and/or untrue. It is afterall, a completely unkown source. Many of these points I will readily admit that I know nothing about at all.

So, anyone who's fairly knowledgeable, feel free to refute/explain/support or provide backround info and context to any aspect of this.

I ask because I've recently had a few discussions with people I've passed this on to about how much of it is really as bad as it sounds, true, overembellished, etc...

Global Politics Quiz -

1) Which is the only country in the world to have dropped bombs on over twenty different countries since 1945?

2) Which is the only country to have used nuclear weapons?

3) Which country was responsible for a car bomb which killed 80 civilians in Beirut in 1985, in a botched assassination attempt,therebymaking it the most lethal terrorist bombing inmodern Middle East history?

4) Which country's illegal bombing of Libya in 1986 was described by the UN Legal Committee as a "classic case" of terrorism?

5) Which country rejected the order of theInternational Court of Justice (ICJ) to terminate its "unlawful use of force" against Nicaragua in 1986, and then vetoed a UN Security Council resolution calling on all states to observe international law?

6) Which country was accused by a UN-sponsored truth commission of providing "direct and indirect support" for "acts of genocide" against the Mayan Indians in Guatemala during the 1980s?

7) Which country unilaterally withdrew from the Anti-Ballistic Missile (ABM) Treaty in December 2001?

8) Which country renounced the efforts to negotiate a verification process for the Biological Weapons Convention and brought an international conference on the matter to a halt in July 2001?

9) Which country prevented the United Nations from curbing the gun trade at a small arms conference in July 2001?

10) Aside from Somalia, which is the only other country in the world to have refused to ratify the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child?

11) Which is the only Western country which allows the death penalty to be applied to children?

12) Which is the only G7 country to have refused to sign the 1997 Mine Ban Treaty, forbidding the use of landmines?

13) Which is the only G7 country to have voted against the creation of the International Criminal Court(ICC) in 1998?

14) Which was the only other country to join with Israel in opposing a 1987 General Assembly resolution condemning international terrorism?

15) Which country refuses to fully pay its debts to the United
Nations yet reserves its right to veto United Nations resolutions?

Answer to all 15 questions: The United States of America.
Mocker
theapportioner is probably a spambot
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 12:33 AM       
Dude, we're not your librarians.

punkgrrrlie10 is probably a spambot
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 12:38 AM       
10a. why didn't they ratify it - b/c they wanted to keep executing juveniles...fun stuff.
Legislacerator
ItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty ok
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 12:39 AM       
also, global moralism bites ass.

Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 12:43 AM       
especially when everyone agrees on it but us.
Legislacerator
ItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty ok
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 01:02 AM       
when you attach the word "only" to these things, it becomes deceptive.

and in my humble opinion no matter how much of an "international police force" we become, we will always maintain, to some degree, a bit of the old isolationist sentiment.

Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 01:04 AM       
who me? I see no "only"
Legislacerator
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 01:06 AM       
look at the list, count the number of times you see the word "only" applied to the US.
Mocker
The_Rorschach is probably a spambot
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 03:03 AM       
Obviously that was a slanted piece, and if anyone didn't realize that the US was the answer to them all by question three, they ought to be dragged into the streets and shot. Many of those statements are half truths, structured specifically to reflect badly upon the US. For instance, in regards to number 15, I challenge to you to name every country that pays its annual dues to the UN and reserves the right to Veto. I'll tell you something, every one of the big five is guilty, and Russia was the first to begin the trend over fifty years ago. The US simply refuses to be the economic bandwagon that carries the UN, as we do in so many UN programs already.

Number 12 is especially ludicrous, considering the number of G-7 countries out there, in comparison to the number of countries which actively employ the use of landmines. We're seeing them in Iraq now, surrounding the burning oil fields. Are we supposed to fight wars with kid-gloves against hostile nations that refuse to abide even by the Geneva Convention?

These questions are worthless in that they don't even pretend to entertain the notion there might be a necessary rationale behind the measures in question.

And, of course, Italian raises a very good point. This is such garbage it really isn't worth the time it took to write this reply.

Hey Italian, this is for you by the way:

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/video/redux.php