Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

has a woody
Phoenix Gamma is probably a spambot
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 12:04 AM       
Bleh. Hate light bikers. I prefer Peach with that third bike, whatever it's called. (That's another thing. I want 30+ cars like on the DS.) It steers more like a kart, so that's probably why I like it.

As for uneventful races, I dunno. I've played mostly Grand Prix to unlock shit, then I'd play with a few buddies a bit. The AI puts up a hell of a fight, so I usually have to claw my way to first place. With friends it's a little less...annoying. It's not like when I'm in first and get hit by five different things at once, but I'm not miles ahead either.

I do love playing as my Mii, though. The voice is so funny and annoying. In fact, Hitler and Sean Connery are plastered all over the mall in my mall stage. The Miis in this game are fuckwin.
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 12:17 AM       
gw have you tried not being terrible at video games? i ask because you have to be missing several vital limbs to not get at least 3rd in these cups.

Getting a good rating is a different story altogether, though, and I really don't like how manual mode - being able to jump & spark - doesn't work at all with the wheel (it theoretically does, but it just seems silly trying it after the steering was working so well on automatic). It seems like all the big Wii games are forcing you to use a gamecube controller to get the best controls, and here it's only because you get bonus turbos as a reward for doing it.

I also don't appreciate how GameFAQs is a huge liar about the unlocks.

The game is still pretty fun, though. :sunglasses
has a woody
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 12:22 AM       
Liar about unlocks? If getting all Stars in 50cc doesn't net me Baby Daisy, tell me now; I'm halfway through replaying.

Also, I think manual works fine. I can direct the drift just fine, and I've gotten used to turning one way and hopping the other. Once I realized I was basically holding a giant joystick (lolinnovation) I was able to handle it fine.
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 12:24 AM       
It just seems like manual is a huge step backward from the normal controls, yet you get punished for not using it.

And so far GameFAQs has been a liar about when you unlock daisy ;< I've beaten everything on 150cc and still don't have her.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Guitar Woman is probably a real personGuitar Woman is probably a real person
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 01:34 AM       
I haven't tried any of the cups yet, you ding dong

also I figured Manual mode was for real men and have been using that; would Automatic make turning less retarded
has a woody
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 01:47 AM       
Well, drifting IS a huge step backward. Sadly, they couldn't think of any other way to remedy snaking other than to change how sparks worked. I think they could have tried something else, just because there's more skill involved in the old games. Automatic makes turning easier I guess, but not being able to boost really puts you at a disadvantage.

One thing I notice in terms of items is that POW Block throws things off balance. It's just way too common to get hit by something. Throwing another item that hits everyone just makes matters worse. And since there's no way to avoid not getting hit by the block (aside from going off a jump), it feels almost broken.

I think that's probably my biggest gripe, since I kinda like not having to always snake now. Snaking isn't a whole lot of fun.
was never good
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 02:22 PM       
I have noticed that if you ever fall off the course, you get shunted to 12th place immediately. Also with 12 racers, you're going to have 12 people throwing shit at you, and the POW block and lightning hit everyone, so you're going to constantly be mangled by those.

At first I was flipping out after getting hit by lightning 4 or 5 times in the same race, and then I noticed that I never lost my place as a result. Thinking about it, if you want to give a newbie a chance to catch up, just making them faster isn't gonna help because they won't know how to control it. Making everyone else slower is probably best. It just takes getting used to.

Still hate the blue shells, but it seems like you recover faster from them now.

And yes GW, automatic makes turning actually turn.
...for breakfast?!
Schimid is probably a spambot
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 04:00 PM       
I roll automatic. Wii wheel with manual is absolutely ridiculous.

I went online last night and picked Rainbow Road while everyone else picked stuff like Moonview Highway and Coconut Mall. Rainbow Road got picked and I beat the next-fastest time by 53 seconds. It's hilarious watching everyone drop off at the center part.
has a woody
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 04:09 PM       
I hate that the blue shell is broken now. In DS, you could slow down and let the 2nd place guy get it before it explodes. But just now I watched the first place guy zoom ahead while the shell flickered on the bottom of my screen. Totally fair.

At least in DD and DS you could manage to ditch it by timing your boost
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 04:37 PM       
Last night while I was waiting in line for GTA IV, I was playing this against people and schooling everybody, including most of the employees. Toad wins every time, baby.

and I took the controller out of the wheel. It just didn't feel right. It felt small in my hands. So I just used the remote. And kicked ass.
CHIEF OF POLICE
MLE is probably pretty okMLE is probably pretty okMLE is probably pretty okMLE is probably pretty ok
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 05:28 PM       
The wheel makes it way easier for me to play. If I don't use the wheel, I'll be using the remote/nunchuck controls. Also, I really really love the quacker bike.
I hate this hacker crap!
MarioRPG is probably a real personMarioRPG is probably a real person
Old May 1st, 2008, 04:10 PM       
2535-4160-0432

Got it just a short while ago!

LOVE, YOUR FIJIAN HOST DAD
was never good
Old May 1st, 2008, 10:08 PM       
Blue glowy light told me that there was a tournament running today. So I try it out, only to find that they changed the mario circuit map so that the chain chomp is loose and running the opposite way on the course :o

I wonder if they're going to change all the levels that they have tournaments on?
has a woody
Old May 2nd, 2008, 12:58 AM       
I dunno, but I wish they had chosen live races over "who can beat the stage fastest if we change....THIS?".

Also, unlocking shit seems to be random. I replayed one of the 100cc cups to get a star rank, and ended up unlocking Baby Luigi and Funky Kong (lolwut).

I like Daisy the best, because she's so goshdarn annoying. Lack of "HII'MDAISY" makes me a sad panda.
rockfuckcunt
bigtimecow is probably pretty okbigtimecow is probably pretty okbigtimecow is probably pretty ok
Old May 2nd, 2008, 02:34 AM       
getting this tomorrow. trading in wack and sticky, new super mario bros, viewtiful joe, and metal gear solid twin snakes. hopefully won't have to pay toooooooooooo much
CHIEF OF POLICE
MLE is probably pretty okMLE is probably pretty okMLE is probably pretty okMLE is probably pretty ok
Old May 2nd, 2008, 11:08 AM       
My online rank just broke 6000!
I hate this hacker crap!
Old May 2nd, 2008, 03:20 PM       
The levels are neat, this is the first time I've had trouble with Rainbow Road. Fucking speed-up spots send me off the edge of that one turn...

...for breakfast?!
Schimid is probably a spambot
Old May 2nd, 2008, 03:55 PM       
I felt the exact same way! I always thought Rainbow Road was supposed to be a send-off, a "victory lap" of sorts, not an intense test of mettle. I got gold on the Special Cup--first in all races except RR, in which Baby Mario shoved me off numerous times.

I came in eigth, and my ranking overall was a B because of it.
has a woody
Old May 2nd, 2008, 04:18 PM       
What? Rainbow Road was always a bitch an a half. SNES was all over the place if I recall correctly, and Double Dash had some absurd spirals that were impossible to pull off 100% of the time during a race. 64 was the only one that was easy since they walled off the whole course. DS one was about average.

This time, it's got less spiral bullshit and more boosts everywhere. I hate getting Golden Mushrooms on that stage, because I will fall off the stage. I never get Bullet Bills in that stage.
I hate this hacker crap!
Old May 2nd, 2008, 05:19 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix Gamma View Post
What? Rainbow Road was always a bitch an a half.
The only one I remember being hard was the SNES one, I've never tried the DS game (at all) though. I agree completely with the Golden Mushroom comment, while I've yet to get one, I can see it being damn near impossible to make a decent gain on 80% of that course with one.

I decided to try a time trial (Sherbet Land) and was delighted to see a ghost challenger. I like this inclusion, it was decently hard if you don't know exactly how the course works. Or in my case, how to get the boost off the line. However, I'm proud to say I eventually bested the ghost, and was most pleased with myself.

CHIEF OF POLICE
Old May 2nd, 2008, 05:29 PM       
I bested Nin.pico's ghost on Maple Treeway first try, suckas
has a woody
Old May 2nd, 2008, 05:40 PM       
The first ghost or the unlockable ghost?

The first ghosts are all piss easy. The unlockable ones are the toughies.
I hate this hacker crap!
Old May 3rd, 2008, 03:53 PM       
I'm talking first ghost.

Oh, and since I never said, I've only used the nunchuck config with manual.

has a woody
Old May 3rd, 2008, 05:04 PM       
Beat the second ghost and get back to me
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old May 3rd, 2008, 07:29 PM       

GOHSTS!