Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old May 29th, 2006, 10:52 AM       
I just wait til the end of the game to do all the propositions (except the events that get you Cloud.) What's your next plot battle?
Mocker

James sucks
Old May 29th, 2006, 05:38 PM       
I get that astrologer guy that rapes the rest of the game in the ass.

I also forgot to mention; Circuit City had a Memorial Day sale on some games being $10, including Dragon Quest VIII.

I pricematched at Best Buy and bought it. And thus the icy shell that once encased my heart melts a little, as I let my guard down and attempt one last go at a relationship with the series.
Official forum judge
Girl Drink Drunk is probably a spambot
Old May 29th, 2006, 05:58 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by James
Two of those, I beat, and one of them sucked.

BoF2 would probably be better played after the first one, which I might as well look into. Shining Force, I know jack shit about.
Actually, they are indirect sequels, much like the Final Fantasy games, and please don't bother because the second BOF is not that great. The first is alright. Also, tactics is kinda like Shining Force in that it is a strategy RPG.
Level 29 ♂
Old May 31st, 2006, 11:26 AM       
I like this thread, so I'm going to bump it with some inane shit.

LoD has gotten a lot more bearable. The battle system is a little gay at first, but once you get used to it it's not so bad. Aside from that, I've noticed a shitload of translation errors that would not have bothered a younger me.
Son of a Sandworm??!
timrpgland is probably a spambot
Old May 31st, 2006, 04:33 PM       
Quote:
I also forgot to mention; Circuit City had a Memorial Day sale on some games being $10, including Dragon Quest VIII.

I pricematched at Best Buy and bought it. And thus the icy shell that once encased my heart melts a little, as I let my guard down and attempt one last go at a relationship with the series.
You won't regret it.

XBOX LIVE: KefkaGrim
Mocker

James sucks
Old May 31st, 2006, 06:37 PM       
We'll see... some day.

I'm at 41 hours in FFT. I did a few more Props, but I'm not going to keep scouring the map finding out if new ones became available anymore. As long as there aren't any I can miss permanently, I'll be fine.

I'm trying to round out my characters with some more abilities and some new direction, but it's actually a bit rough. The Save Olan mission had to be redone like 3 times, because I couldn't get that faggot to stop dying. :/ I mean, Ramza was my fastest character that killed everyone in a single attack. Now he's a Lancer and isn't nearly as threatening. And my Ninja is now a Thief, and he's fast and moves far, but he's weak. And so on. I mean, I COULD just change back to my powerhouses, but the point is to round out my character abilities to make them even stronger for later on in the game. :/
Son of a Sandworm??!
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 11:27 AM       
Man, I should boot up my old continue and see what kind of party I had. FFT is awesome. I know after finishing the deep dungeon I didn't give Byblos a chance but maybe it's a awesome character.

Level 29 ♂
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 12:36 PM       
It's an awesome character if you ignore the fact that monsters just can't hold a candle to humans.
Son of a Sandworm??!
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 12:47 PM       
Yeah but that doesn't really matter since you become all too powerful once you max out in the game anyways. You could use 2-3 characters just as fillers and still wipe everything out with ease.

I was always a big fan of Mustadio just because. He may not be the greatest but he's definately cool in my book. Beowulf is one of my favorite named characters also.

Level 29 ♂
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 07:23 PM       
God's sake, Legend of Dragoon is translated even worse than FFT.

Girl: "What are you doing, Fester?" (Translation: "What do you do for a job?")

A choice menu pops up, prompting me to answer for Fester:

"He is from royalty."
"He is a governor."

I chose the governor answer.

Fester: "Yes, I am a governor, and that is good because I can get into the castle freely."

Girl: "Aw, that is boring. Could you give a better answer than that?"
Mocker

James sucks
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 07:57 PM       
That game sounds awesome now.
Level 29 ♂
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 08:05 PM       
I'm on the second disc now and, like FFT, the translations are only getting worse as time goes on. The game started fine, but the more you play, the worse it gets.
Mocker

James sucks
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 07:43 AM       
I am having a love affair with stealing things. Steal this, steal that. Flippy floo.

There's just some really awesome things you can steal, you know?

Also, I prolonged a couple battles now to see if I got any good crystals. And I DID get one from a summoner. Agrias is a summoner right now (Holy Sword can fuck off), and she nabbed Ifrit, Titan, and Fire 2 from a single crystal. And then she had enough to learn Ramuh.

I'm looking to make some physical powerhouses here, but I need help. I have Ninjas right now that do over 200 damage, but I want more.

Also, Chapter 4 will be all about grinding. I'm gonna get all the job classes and stuff. So I'm gonna be hunting down human enemies, then dragging battles out so I can nab crystals to save some time. But I'm almost done with Chapter 3, which is amazing. I honestly never thought I'd get around to playing this game again, or even finishing it. My first playthough ended when I beat Chapter 2, and I just found it to be too hard and stupid. Now I love it.
Level 29 ♂
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 09:59 AM       
What's your next plot battle?
Mocker

James sucks
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 10:24 AM       
3 in a row at Riovannes Castle
Mocker

James sucks
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 08:58 PM       
Started Chapter 4 now. I'm jealous of this dude who is playing through the game and is landing like 500damage per hit. Meanwhile, I'm barely breaking 100 and I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Sure made that second-to-last battle in Chapter 3 real fun. Had to restart 6 times before I actually beat it.

I do feel awesome about how far I'm getting. Here's my to-do list for Chapter 4;

1) Get all the optional characters.
2) Get Ultima.
3) Get Zodiac.
4) Do all Propositions.
5) Grind my characters up to 99 (the ones I'll use), getting as many helpful skills and jobs along the way as I can.
6) Deep Dungeon.
7) Victory.
Mocker

James sucks
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 04:20 AM       
Little update.

Once I got to Chapter 4 in FFT, I looked at all the stuff I had to do, and got a little overwhelmed. The game isn't the easiest one in the world, and all the extra sidequests and such (Deep Dungeon) is just making me anxious.

So I took some time off to play a few other games. Guitar Hero, Ultimate Spider-Man, Tony Hawk's American Wasteland. Things like that.

But it looks like I'll be playing the game again, before I forget EVERYTHING. I just don't know how to handle it all. Deep Dungeon sounds like a pain in the ass, but I really want to do it.

I also recently remembered that I was near the end of Seiken Densetsu 3, which was a slightly unfun sequel to Secret of Mana. I stopped playing because I got sidetracked, and I was at the point where the game takes a sharp increase in difficulty.

So now I can't remember too much about what's going on IN the game, so I'll be reading up a little bit on that again, and playing that once in a while, if I can. Since it's a ROM, it's easier to just pick up and play for a few minutes.

That's two hard games I'm trying to play at once.
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 04:49 AM       
Huh? I got LoD when it first came out and liked it a lot. Translations really are terrible but I had a lot of fun with it. Might've been cause if it really did come out in 2000 I'd have been like 13-14 but I still liked it :O

Oh, and the worst translation fuck up in the entire game was when that annoying chick with the mallet said "mell of a hess" instead of hell of a mess. That made me turn it off and do something else for a bit.

That was very funny. Well done.
Son of a Sandworm??!
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 07:58 AM       
The most annoying part of the deep dungeon isn't the enemies but the luck involved in trying to get each treasure on each floor. Of course you can increase the success of getting them but that doesn't always work out.

I enjoyed playing through SD3 and thought it was quite fun. It has a decent amount of difficulty but nothing that a little leveling doesn't fix.

Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Guitar Woman is probably a real personGuitar Woman is probably a real person
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 12:01 PM       
Play Shadow Hearts: From the New World. It's really good. ;<
Mocker

James sucks
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 12:56 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by timrpgland
I enjoyed playing through SD3 and thought it was quite fun. It has a decent amount of difficulty but nothing that a little leveling doesn't fix.
I don't know. I left off at the part where I go to fight the Shadow Dragon or something. Everything before that was fairly easy, despite the the glitchy controls.

But now the enemies just seem a lot tougher, which makes for a problem with the herky-jerky battles. Attacks not working, delayed damage recognition, glitches where enemies get hurt but are still attacking. It all adds up really fast to my guys being taken out in a few seconds at times.

Maybe it's just the rom but the game really is glitchy as hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Woman
Play Shadow Hearts: From the New World. It's really good. ;<
Which series is Shadow Hearts? I always get it confused to Digital Devil Saga.

Anyways, I'm half-interested, but it does costs money. GQD has all three games in a bundle for $100, which is a good deal. But still, $100.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 01:45 PM       
Quote:
Which series is Shadow Hearts?
Shadow Hearts
Marc Summers is probably a spambot
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 08:55 PM       
He wants you to DESCRIBE it
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 10:02 PM       
The greatest RPG I've ever played. YOU GET TO FIGHT GOD.
At least at the end, you do.

Although, finding the original is hard.
I recommend Shadow Hearts 2: Covenant if you're just getting into it. The first is heavy on the horror/gothic genre. They just keep getting sillier and sillier.

What sets it apart from most other RPGs, aside from the expansive story and the depth of the characters, is the Judgement Ring battle system. Really, it is just a fancy game of Wheel of Fortune where you have to stop the spinner in one of the designated areas to accomplish feats and get critical effects.

There is so much to do in these games, I'm still playing them. The only thing I can find similar to it is Final Fantasy VII. The game is about the same length, in case you're wondering.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 11:46 AM       
Playable characters in SH3 include a drunken cat, a deranged ninja, a gun-fu indian, and a mariachi. You should play it, if only for that.