None of you liked Dr. Strangelove?
Oh yeah, that one was great
beautiful freak
Aimless is probably a spambot
Old Aug 16th, 2009, 05:19 PM       
Arts & Farts
Krythor is probably a real personKrythor is probably a real person
Old Aug 16th, 2009, 05:39 PM       
A Clockwork Orange and 2001 are my favourite Kubrick movies. Oh dear.
teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old Aug 16th, 2009, 06:24 PM       
I thought the first part of Full Metal Jacket was wonderful but then it dropped off abruptly when they were actually in Vietnam.

I think as far as the quality of his movies, I prefer Clockwork Orange. Then The Shining, then Barry Lyndon. Dr. Strangelove is somewhere in the middle, always felt like it dragged in parts. Spartacus is somewhere in the middle too.

My least favorites are Lolita and Eyes Wide Shut. It's such a shame that Eyes Wide Shut is the one he went out on.
beautiful freak
Aimless is probably a spambot
Old Aug 16th, 2009, 06:33 PM       
Kubrick is sort of like Gilliam. I love most of what Gilliam does but he's very inconsistent and drags a bit. When he's good, he's really good and when he's bad he's just boring.
taco loving zombie
darkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty ok
Old Aug 16th, 2009, 10:27 PM       
just saw gi joe it was ok but calling everyone joe felt kinda chessy

SANTO el enmascarado de plata
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Guitar Woman is probably a real personGuitar Woman is probably a real person
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 01:29 PM       
What Video Games?
Angryhydralisk is probably a spambot
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 07:27 PM       
BRUNO.

IST.

A CROCKOF SHIT.

Except that Harrison Ford scene, that was hilarious.

j/k fuck them
Arts & Farts
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 07:38 PM       
I'm still not sure how I feel about it. Did you like Borat or the Ali G show? Cos I am a huge fan of the series, and thought that Bruno was generally funnier than the Borat movie, if ethically questionable.

I'm quite surprised to see the generally negative reaction to Bruno, but mostly just in comparison to Borat. What was it about Borat that made it so much better to everyone? I don't think either movie is particularly great, but Borat was flat out boring for long stretches. I guess what I'm saying is, the reaction that Bruno is getting is exactly what I thought Borat would get, and I thought Borat deserved it more.
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 08:24 PM       
I think Bruno is getting that kind of reaction because it's about a gay man, and that's not something that a lot of people are comfortable with. It's all incredibly over-the-top and funny, so I laughed a lot, but there are bound to be a lot of people that just get grossed out and can't see past the dicks to the comedy.

That was very funny. Well done.
MrSmiley381 is probably a spambot
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 11:33 PM       
C.H.U.D.

So terrible. Yet, so good.
SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 09:53 AM       
I still need to go see Bruno. I've been a fan of Sacha Baron Cohen since his show came out.

I went to see "The Goods" last night and if you like Step Brothers/Talledega Nights you'll like this too. Also, someone is a regular Buster in it..
Spoilers!
I hate this hacker crap!
MarioRPG is probably a real personMarioRPG is probably a real person
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 10:56 AM       
I saw District 9. It was pretty damn good actually. Except for the cloverfield-esque shaky cam action scenes, which I normally despise.

LOVE, YOUR FIJIAN HOST DAD
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 11:04 AM       
Is the shaky camera just for a few minutes? I hope
Mocker
Ant10708 is probably a spambot
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 01:52 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zomboid View Post
I think Bruno is getting that kind of reaction because it's about a gay man, and that's not something that a lot of people are comfortable with.
Yeah because god forbid the material was shit compared to the hype surrounding the movie. it must be because people are afraid of gays! Borat was something the american public(remember mostpeople had no fucking clue who this guy was then) didn't expect to be great and it turned out hilarious. Bruno was something the american public was expecting to be great and fell far short of being funny in my opinion. Borat seemed to expose racism thatso many people have and did so in a fair way meaning that he let people say dumb things but he didnt completely set up ever skit to get the most prejudiced reaction. Bruno tried to do the same and expose homophobia but did so in such a retarded and unfair way that the end result wasnt very funny. like they totally tried to get ron paul for being a homophob and he barely gave them a comment worth using after putting up with more then most people would. I am a long time fan of the ali g show since it orginally aired on HBO and in my opinion borat was a superior movie even if bruno is the superior character. bruno on the tv show always had me laughing alot more then the movie. i think the movie went wrong when it tried to copy borat in the way it exposes peoples prejudices(i know this is from the show and aalrge part of his chacaters but he really ramped up the imma exposxe prejudices shit for the movie imo). in bruno these prejudices were basically forced out of people and the funniest scenes involved parts having nothing to do with him being gay such as his velcro suit at the fashion show and adopting a black kid and naming it oj and having the american idol judge sit on mexicans, and the horrible parents pimping out their kids for stardom. these skits involving bruno were funny because it wasnt omg its a penis or omg its two guys making out instead of fighting and now people are shockingly uncomfortable, they must be homphobes! HOW IGNORANT of those hicks to get mad that a cage match turned into two guys making out.

So to sum it up. Bruno is a better character but Borat was a funnier movie and to the american publicwas something they didnt see coming whereas bruno suffered from its own hype and lack of laughs. but maybe like zombiod believes im just a NY homophob who doesnt like seeing a swinging penis on a big screen in order to witness the predictable reactions. I think I just like his clever skits the ones that maybe a 12 year old couldnt come up with opposed to the ones where he thinks he is shocking america by simulating sex
Is a RoboCop.

The Leader is probably a real personThe Leader is probably a real person
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 01:57 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadao View Post
Is the shaky camera just for a few minutes? I hope
The shaky cam is nothing like Cloverfield. It's more controlled and it's not used that much.
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 02:37 PM       
Hey, ant, learn how to format and your posts might be worth reading. I don't feel like trying to decipher a point out of that block of text.

Arts & Farts
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 03:00 PM       
Both Borat and Bruno had pros and cons, and I agree with the stuff about trying too hard to expose prejudices in certain scenes, but I think in a lot of ways that's besides the point. The cage match scene isn't meant to be funny because people are offended at gay guys, it's just a funny prank to play on people (and you can't ever justify the guy who broke down into tears over it.)

Borat definitely had more of those sublime moments of racist confessional that Bruno was lacking, but in general I thought neither movie was particularly great, and I'm still just puzzled that they got such extreme reactions at opposite ends of the spectrum. How can the same person LOVE Borat and HATE Bruno? They're nearly the same movie.
The Wolf
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 03:23 PM       
The only parts in either movie that made me really laugh were the ones where they tricked and angered people. Everything else was kind of just background for that stuff. Some of that background was still funny, but the real humor in both movies, for me, happened whenever he managed to piss people off.

I thought the whole baby thing fell pretty flat. The parts where he auditioned other babies was good, though.

Arts & Farts
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 04:34 PM       
I forgot about that part. I thought the baby auditions were better than anything in Borat.
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 08:20 PM       
Outfoxed - Rupert Murdoch's War On Journalism

Holy shit, things are far worse than I imagined, and I'm a pretty bleak guy.
Mocker
Ant10708 is probably a spambot
Old Aug 19th, 2009, 12:35 AM       
District 9: Pretty good. Whoever was worrying about the use of a handheld camera like in Cloverfield need not worry. As someone mentioned above it isn't used for any large amounts of time and isn't very bothersome when it is. Good story, good action and violence and no recognizable faces which is always good when trying to immerse yourself into the movie