Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

ranxer is probably a spambot
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 10:25 AM        pearle resignation, who's next?
http://www.abc.net.au/pm/content/2003/s819179.htm

a patriot? his advocation of war(for profit) on Iraq is a crime against the American people and humanity .. yet he's still a member of the pprb, rotating hotseat

why isnt this in american press?

PM - Friday, 28 March , 2003 18:18:00
Reporter: John Shovelan
HAMISH ROBERTSON: An emerging scandal over a conflict of interest has forced one of the most influential hawks in Washington to step down as chairman of the Pentagon Policy Review Board.

Richard Pearle, one of the original "neo-cons", who crafted the Bush administration's policy toward the Middle East and Iraq, tendered his resignation to the Defence Secretary.

From Washington, John Shovelan reports that Mr Pearle is one of the people who advised the administration that Iraqis wouldn't put up any great resistance to US led forces.

JOHN SHOVELAN: Ethical standards of Government today tripped one of the so-called neo-cons of Washington DC, one of the darlings of the Bush administration, a hawk without peer, an architect of the pre-emptive strike doctrine and the war on Iraq.

But if the course of the war continues as it has over the past week it won’t be his personal moral code he’ll be questioned over but his judgement and advice to the administration. Because Richard Pearle still this week was advising that Iraqi resistance would melt before America’s superior firepower.

RICHARD PEARLE: Most Iraqis, as many of us have long suggested, are not prepared to fight for Saddam.

JOHN SHOVELAN: And to who are still waiting for an Iraqi welcome to their liberators, Mr Pearle’s advice...

RICHARD PEARLE: Just be patient. You have not had a situation where it would be possible for large numbers of people in urban areas to express their belief that they have been liberated.

JOHN SHOVELAN: But if some Pentagon officials are right and this war is now going to take months, the US public is going to have to tap unproven reserves of patience. Mr Pearle’s resignation as Chairman of the Defence Policy Review Board over a conflict of interest is a rare concession by this administration.

Because Mr Pearle is connected. In the Presidential election campaign he was adviser to George W. Bush on foreign policy. He could have been working in the Whitehouse but chose not to. He is a friend to the Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld and his deputy Paul Wolfowitz, and he belongs to an exclusive group of hawks and argues war with Iraq is the moral course.

RICHARD PEARLE: The conduct of this war by this nation and its coalition partners is something which we can be enormously proud.

JOHN SHOVELAN: Nick-named the 'prince of darkness' by his detractors Mr Pearle was forced to resign over a 1.5 million-dollar payment he received from a bankrupt communications company called Global Crossing.

While Chairman of the board advising the Defence Secretary, he was also working for the company to overcome Pentagon objections to selling Global Crossing to a Hong Kong tycoon.

In his letter of resignation Mr Pearle wrote "As I cannot quickly or easily quell criticism, the least I can do under these circumstances is to ask you to accept my resignation."

He went on:

"I am advising Global Crossing that any fee for past service would be donated to the families of American forces killed or injured in Iraq."

RICHARD PEALE: The magnitude of the resistance is entirely consistent with the view that this will be a short war.

JOHN SHOVELAN: Mr Rumsfeld accepted his resignation as Chairman. But loyal insiders like Mr Pearle don’t have to go cold turkey. The Defence Secretary offered him a soft landing and has kept him on the very same committee as a member.

John Shovelan, Washington.

VinceZeb is probably a spambot
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 10:37 AM       
So what? People in Tony Blair's party quit to. But I guess you would be all over him if he wasn't supporting the war, since he is a socalist. Considering your avatar and cute little comments, I'm also suprised you have not moved to Europe, since it is becoming a nice lil' socalist utopia.

I don't like Blair's party, but I am glad he knows enough to support us in this war.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 10:41 AM       
You miss the point. The folks in Blairs party who resigned are liberals, protesting Blairs conservative position.

Perle is a conservative. He is resigning becuase A.) he is involved in a rapidly unfolding ethics scandal and B.) someone has to take the fall for promoting the idea Iraqi sioldiers would not put up any fight.