Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Little Monster
Miss Modular is probably a spambot
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 04:32 PM        Michael Savage sues webmasters
Boy, he can dish, but he sure can't take it!

http://www.democracynow.org/article..../06/11/1643219

He calls gays and lesbians “perverts.” Immigrants he says are from “Turd World Nations.” He calls Asians “little soy eaters.”

And filthy rats is how he describes his critics of his show.

We are talking about shock radio and TV jock Michael Savage who is at the center of a new free speech lawsuit. But the lawsuit is not over his controversial remarks on his nationally syndicated radio show or on his MSNBC but on what his online critics have said about him.

Savage became the center of controversy in March when MSNBC hired him to host a weekly show. He was hired shortly before Phil Donahue was fired. Donahue said after he was let go, “The hiring of Mike Savage, Dick Armey and Joe Scarborough suggest a strategy to out-Fox FOX.”

When MSNBC announced the hiring of Savage, the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation launched a campaign to urge advertisers to boycott the show. As a result, Procter & Gamble, Dell Computer Corporation, Casual Male, The Sharper Image and two others withdrew from sponsoring Savage's show.

Similar campaigns targeted advertisers on Savage’s national radio show.

Now Savage’s radio distributor Talk Radio Network is suing three websites that have critiqued his show and supported the boycotts.

The websites savagestupidity.com, michaelsavagesucks.com and takebackthemedia.com face a $500,000 lawsuit.

According to a report on the news website Alternet, the suit charges that by endorsing a boycott of advertisers called for by the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation the groups are causing Savage financial damage by unjustifiably interfering in his business relationships with program advertisers.

The suit also charges defendants with violating the US Copyright Act by rebroadcasting portions of the program and by parodying images of Savage.

Yesterday we tried to reach Michael Savage, representatives at Talk Radio Network and the network’s attorney. They did not return our calls. But we do have a clip recorded on Michael Savage’s radio show on February 27, 2003 responding to critics who were backing the boycott of his show.

Michael Savage, recorded on his radio show February 27, 2003.
Thomas Leavitt, founder of the website savagestupidity.com which is being sued by Michael Savage’s radio distributor Talk Radio Network.

-John Sonego, director of communications for GLAAD, the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation.
-Paul Levy, attorney with Public Citizen representing the website Savagestupidity.com being sued by Talk Radio Nation.
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 04:38 PM       

What is with these spin doctors? First O'Reilly, now this jackass.

Cry me a river.
ranxer is probably a spambot
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 05:14 PM       

damn msnbc marketeers
Nyttelijbotti!
Pub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty ok
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 05:38 PM       
Quote:
The suit also charges defendants with violating the US Copyright Act by rebroadcasting portions of the program and by parodying images of Savage.
Doesn't that fall under "fair use"?

"The second criterion looks to see if the new work is for one of the purposes specifically contemplated by the fair use provision -- (1) criticism and comment, (2) parody and satire, (3) scholarship and research, (4) news reporting and (5) teaching. The burden of proving fair use is somewhat easier to demonstrate if the new work is for one of these purposes, however, other uses may also be determined to be a fair use of the copyrighted work." -

http://www.publaw.com/work.html
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 05:50 PM       
What a fucking pussy.

VinceZeb is probably a spambot
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 06:32 PM       
He can sue them the same way that the people can try to get his sponsers to leave him. It's America, people. Amazingly enough I dont see anyone on here whining that they are trying to get his shows cancelled.
Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 07:18 PM       
Criticizing Savage and encourgaing a boycott is not grounds for a lawsuit. Its called freedom of speech, numbnuts. That dipshit Savage is wasting his time and the court's time.

Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 07:20 PM       
Yes, but if they are delibertly trying to destroy his financial well being, that could be brough up with RICO stature.

So, go back in the kitchen beyotch and make me a steak.
Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 07:23 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceZeb
Yes, but if they are delibertly trying to destroy his financial well being, that could be brough up with RICO stature.
Garbage. The man is already quite wealthy. I doubt that any boycott could "destroy his financial well being". He isn't going to end up homeless because of what someone said on the internet.
Mocker

Abcdxxxx is probably a spambot
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 08:07 PM       
"wealth" has nothing to do with being tagretted and it's not going to save someone from cancellation. Ask Alan Keyes. This is like mocking Jeanene Garoffolo's recent show cancellation...the difference is you probably agree with her. I've actually listend to Savage Nation, and heard him go on some pretty severe rants.... but this sounds like slander rather then direct quotes.

His lawsuit is actually to counter the various suits being thrown his way. Nearly all talk show hosts, or news magazine hosts find themselves in a bit of litigation, and the smarter ones tend to go on the offensive and sue back. It's the American way.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 10:50 PM       
It's a company's right to decide who to sponsor and who not to sponsor if they don't like what that person is saying.

Isn't that what your opinion was when MCI fired Danny Glover, Vinth? Oh wait... that was for voicing opinions YOU disagreed with.

Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 10:54 PM       
It is the companies right. But what happened to Glover is not on the mass scale that is happening to Savage. If it was, I would disagree with it.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 11:04 PM       
The only difference I percieve is that more people disagree with Savage than disagree with Glover. Boo-fucking-hoo.

Isaac is probably a spambot
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 11:09 PM       
next thing you know, your going to be screaming to sue Martin Luther king for organizing boycotts, that hurt someones finacial well being
Mocker
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 12:18 AM       
Quote:
It is the companies right. But what happened to Glover is not on the mass scale that is happening to Savage. If it was, I would disagree with it.
Why wasn't Glover on a "mass scale"?

Bill O'Reilly spoke out against rapper Ludacris on his show, and Pepsi dropped him.

Both Savage and O'Reilly are a couple of bitches who can't handle the kind of shit they spout out.
Mocker
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 12:20 AM       
Quote:
Why wasn't Glover on a "mass scale"?

Bill O'Reilly spoke out against rapper Ludacris on his show, and Pepsi dropped him.

Both Savage and O'Reilly are a couple of bitches who can't handle the kind of shit they spout out.

Old Jun 24th, 2003, 08:21 AM       
Seems like you can't handle the concept of pressing the "Submit" button only once.
Red, dead meat!
Carnivore is probably a spambot
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 08:45 AM       
Expectedly weak. Can't hold your ground on the issue, so go after Kev for accidentally double posting.

Old Jun 24th, 2003, 09:25 AM       
No, I thought I already explained my feelings on the subject numerous times already.
Mocker
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 02:27 AM       
Poorly at best.

Old Jun 25th, 2003, 08:50 AM       
Yeah, carnivore, like no one else on this board has ever went after another person about their spelling or sentence structure.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 10:34 AM       
Well, I'm at least glad to see, Vince that you think suing someone American, and that you no longer think anything is wrong with people suing A&F.

I think Savage shouldn't have any problem at all with websites encouraging people to boycott companies that sponsor him. If he disagress wiith their stance, he can say so, and try to convince people he's right. If he's not comfortable with that, Tough. Doesn't he know that when it comes to free speech, actions have consequences?
Mocker
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 12:28 PM       
But Max, this is on a "mass scale."
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 12:29 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by mburbank
Doesn't he know that when it comes to free speech, actions have consequences?
'Nuff said. Simple as that.
Orange Juice Bruce is probably a spambot
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 10:51 PM       
I don't really understand why VinceZeb's point of view is relevant to this community to begin with. Like, take for instance the fact that we all know what Max and Proto are talking about. They are mediochre responses that at least carry some truth and not just a hankerin' for a hunk of cheese. And by "cheese" I'm refering to the metaphorical stupidity that VinceZeb brings to this board.....or I just mean a hunk of cheese. One or the other.....*cough.