Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Site Forums > Article Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

grants but one wish
greenimp is probably a spambot
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 02:07 AM       
page 1, pic 12, the grinning face of MJ over the kool aid shoes is mighty worrying... are these shoes just a lure for MJ's sick practises?
Forum Virgin
DrewP is probably a spambot
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 02:25 AM       
Oh. Yeah I forgot. That Monkey head does come with a remote control. I used to sell them at the now defunct Sharper Image store in the local mall. They were fantasticly over priced and you could set them up to be motion activated for several emotional responses (anger, happy, sad, excited...etc).
Copper is probably a spambot
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 02:37 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowMixMaster View Post
That one painting you saw with the nude woman and the centaur looks to be work done by Boris Vajello. I have a calendar that has his work on display. He does a lot of fantasy art like that. I dont care how much that one painting was, I'd still get it.
It *looks* like Boris, but it's not. (Fan of his myself.) True, the subject matter is the same, but the style is totally different. Boris' art has a lot more of a smoother quality to it. This one has more of a Frazetta style to it, though I don't think it's him either.

Grats on the lamp, too, Rog! I *love* finding treasures like that when you least expect it. And too true about seeing the action figures in the cases. Those are the type of people you know are just going to whip out the price guide when you ask them how much, heh.
Simpson's Trivia King
Bavles is probably a spambot
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 04:09 AM       
this is awesome dude. I use to live only twenty minutes away from the rosebowl so it's really nice to see a familiar sight.
lurking on the walls
saturnknight is probably a spambot
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 10:31 AM       
awsome article RoG!
Check out Newfoundland some time, i'd gladly bring you around here, and there's a flea market here every sunday in a large mall where you can find anything
Forum Virgin
Earthbound_X is probably a spambot
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 05:28 PM       
When I lived in CA, we went to flea markets all the time.

I haven't been to one in over 10 years....
Ultimate Buzzkill
Marthaeus Autolykos is probably a spambot
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 06:24 PM       
Oh man, I remember playing with so many of those toys so long ago...and yes, I had the airport too! Many of which I'd forgotten about, such as battle beasts, but I can now vividly recall the tactile sensation of holding my thumb over the heat-sensitive decal to reveal each's elemental affiliation.
It's understandable how those Intellivision boxes were confused with Atari 2600; they had the same games and boxes; I had both of those games in the picture on my 2600. I WANT THOSE PANTHER TABLES!
Also, that creature bust you claim looks familiar, looks an awful lot like a Sleestack from the Kroft Bros "Land of the Lost."
The face of trapped wind.
PoGo is probably a spambot
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 08:00 PM       
wow. that was all out nifty. so many awesome toys and a bunch of random scattered other junk which I would list but I dont feel up to it. it just seems like self-horn tootery, which isnt worth it for a ghostbusters lunchbox and an unpackaged ultimate warrior figure. on the flipside of all that, the jason lamp looks awesome as all hell.
Big In Japan
Godzilla is probably a spambot
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 08:19 PM       
Gremlins slumber tent?! Sweeet!
pickled
Nick is probably a spambot
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 08:52 PM       
Oh man, look at that lamp. You always find the coolest things, Rog.
Breathes Comics
Kat is probably a spambot
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 09:37 PM       
Where are you planning to put that lamp, Rog?

Because if I were you I would put it by my bed so I could fall asleep to the soothing demonic red serial killer light it povides.
Forum Virgin
KillerMcGee is probably a spambot
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 09:46 PM       
Hey -Rog- Think you will make it to Seattle for North America's biggest video game convention in September? It would make for a great I-mockery article. Lots of cool shit, and tons of dorks being... dorky.
Forum Virgin
cainecollin is probably a spambot
Old Mar 21st, 2009, 12:01 AM       

Looks kind of like Pumpkinhead
Letch
Maxwell Demon is probably a spambot
Old Mar 21st, 2009, 12:13 AM       
Rog, i have that monkey head and that is so totally the controller for it. if it isnt it looks exactly like it.
Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old Mar 21st, 2009, 01:58 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by BABALITY PANCAKES View Post
I really want that lamp RoG. I will give you $200, PLEASE I MUST HAVE IT NO LYING PLEEEEEAASSSEEEEE
Heheh, sorry man, I've been looking for one of those for years. Check your local flea markets and yard sales, you never know what you'll find. If all else fails, there's always eBay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyJoJoJr View Post
Congrats on your find, I always love the feeling you get when you discover something rare like that.
Thanks man... I go to so many of these kind o' things, but it's only once in a blue moon that I find something that makes my jaw drop upon seeing it. It's definitely a good feeling when you find things like that... makes the trip all worthwhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewP View Post
I just noticed something. Those Panther Tables are the same as that Panther statue from the Melrose Trading Post on page 1. Except at Melrose they didn't have any glass tops. Also every Flea Market I have been too has had Madballs almost every where I nearly have a complete collection and am only missing a few of the "Bad guys" from the carton (yet they were good in the comic)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copper View Post
And too true about seeing the action figures in the cases. Those are the type of people you know are just goingto whip out the price guide when you ask them how much, heh.
Yeah, I can't stand those guys. "Well this figure is graded 75 blahblahblah by the AFA!" Anybody who has their toys "graded" is into collecting them for all the wrong reasons, so you have two reasons not to buy from them: 1) they're overpriced and 2) you shouldn't support them financially out of principle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavles View Post
this is awesome dude. I use to live only twenty minutes away from the rosebowl so it's really nice to see a familiar sight.
You ever been to the Rose Bowl Flea Market though? If not, you definitely should next month (Sunday, April 12th) since you live so close. I'll be going again I'm sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthaeus Autolykos View Post
Oh man, I remember playing with so many of those toys so long ago...and yes, I had the airport too! Many of which I'd forgotten about, such as battle beasts, but I can now vividly recall the tactile sensation of holding my thumb over the heat-sensitive decal to reveal each's elemental affiliation.
It's understandable how those Intellivision boxes were confused with Atari 2600; they had the same games and boxes; I had both of those games in the picture on my 2600. I WANT THOSE PANTHER TABLES!
Also, that creature bust you claim looks familiar, looks an awful lot like a Sleestack from the Kroft Bros "Land of the Lost."
Yeah Battle Beasts were amazingly fun... until those chest decals fell off. I read that they later released special super battle beasts who could defeat all three of the elements. Never saw those when I was a kid though. I'm guessing their element was "gun". As for the boxes, as I told executioneer, there actually were a bunch of Intellivision boxes in that pile (believe me I looked through 'em) but I guess they're not visibile in the one photo I took, oh well.)

Interesting about Sleestack though, I don't think the head shape is quite the same as the Sleestack I know. Sleestack rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat View Post
Where are you planning to put that lamp, Rog? Because if I were you I would put it by my bed so I could fall asleep to the soothing demonic red serial killer light it provides.
It's like you read my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerMcGee View Post
Hey -Rog- Think you will make it to Seattle for North America's biggest video game convention in September? It would make for a great I-mockery article. Lots of cool shit, and tons of dorks being... dorky.
PAX? I definitely plan on coming sometime, but it's hard because it's so close after Comic-Con (which I already spend most of my money at) and it's right when Halloween season starts here on I-Mockery, which is my favorite time o' year. I'm sure I'll make it there, it's just hard to say when it'll happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cainecollin View Post
Looks kind of like Pumpkinhead
Good call, it actually does resemble Pumpkinhead quite a bit. Maybe it was some art student's attempt at recreating Pumpkinhead, sans the menacing teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Demon View Post
Rog, i have that monkey head and that is so totally the controller for it. if it isnt it looks exactly like it.
Are you serious?? Damnit, the vendor told me it didn't go with the monkey head. Maybe he misunderstood my question. Thanks for letting me know either way.
Copper is probably a spambot
Old Mar 21st, 2009, 04:57 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mockery View Post
Are you serious?? Damnit, the vendor told me it didn't go with the monkey head. Maybe he misunderstood my question. Thanks for letting me know either way.
Now you have a goal for your next visit!

Tanuki is probably a spambot
Old Mar 21st, 2009, 09:10 AM       
It's kinda sad that the first thing I noticed in the giant plastic ET picture was that they were selling the one Mary Kate and Ashley Barbie I didn't have when I was a kid. Damn it!

On a side note....SWORDS! ^_____^

...and why is Superman carrying Richard Pryor on that one book?

I saw that Adam-12 lunchbox at the thrift store once.

ARE YOU SERIOUS!? A SONIC POPSICLE!?

Okay, done spazzing.
Durin is probably a spambot
Old Mar 21st, 2009, 01:22 PM       
So was the lamp your only purchase there RoG? If not, It'd be kinda cool if ya posted a picture of all the other items that you deemed worthy of your dollars.
Amicable Herculean
captain516 is probably a real personcaptain516 is probably a real person
Old Mar 21st, 2009, 07:07 PM       
Quote:
why is Superman carrying Richard Pryor on that one book?
That was from the third Superman movie, where Pryor played a guy who teams up with a mad scientist to create an evil Superman.
dead end
mew barios is probably pretty okmew barios is probably pretty okmew barios is probably pretty ok
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 12:43 AM       
i'm heman i'm strong as can be
and i brush my teeth with regularity
once in the morning and once at bedtime
and after each meal so my teeth will shine
you'll remember this saying if you rehearse
and you'll be like the masters of the universe
Forum Virgin
Renny is probably a spambot
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 11:45 AM       
"At first, I thought I found a gem in the form of an autographed Tick figure for 10 bux. Upon closer inspection,
however, I realized it was just a bunch of family members who wrote "Happy Birthday" all over the box." - that just made my day - I am still laughing! Great flea market - I would love to visit it - but since I cannot, these pictures will have to do!
Forum Virgin
Bujold is probably a spambot
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 12:08 PM       
"If you're anywhere even remotely near Pasadena, I can't recommend checking out the Rose Bowl Flea Market enough."

Oh, believe me I would. However, 3400 miles from Pasadena is not "remotely near" enough for me. Even the closest flea markets of a scale nearing this are at least a day away from here.

Also, right next to the wrestlin' Smokey, there was something which looked oddly like that Inspector Gadget figure I remember wanting as a kid. That brought back some memories.
Kilgore Cod is probably a spambot
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 11:51 PM       
Never realized how much Jim Carrey looks like Max Headroom.
Forum Virgin
TuxKamen is probably a spambot
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 05:08 AM       
"Never realized how much Jim Carrey looks like Max Headroom."

Yeah, I noticed that, too, thought it was another Headroom pin till I recognized the Riddler outfit.

I'd love to go to a sale like this, were the prices pretty reasonable for the used MOTU figures? Saw quite a few there I was never able to pick up growing up (Ram Man, Hordak, Trap Jaw). Those masks looked great, too, and I'd love that Hook ad just to torment a friend of mine at work who refuses to see the movie cuz she insists "Peter Pan never grew up!" Also, now I gotta see if I can locate one of those lamps.

Robodie III is probably a spambot
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 05:30 PM       
Man, I'm jealous of your trip ROG. I went to this same market once in 2002 or so, and every place was just selling a mountain of old clothing (and a few food vendors). The only good thing I bought, and it was probably the only non-clothing, was an old McDonalds Grimace cup.
Look at how the selection has changed! From Grimace cup to Jason lamp!