Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Comics 'n Books
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Arts & Farts
Krythor is probably a real personKrythor is probably a real person
Old Aug 29th, 2009, 08:01 PM       
He gave a lecture at my university a few months ago. I was interested in going but it completely slipped my mind and I missed it. Oh well.
LOVES the tubal ligation!
Dimnos is probably a real personDimnos is probably a real person
Old Aug 31st, 2009, 01:32 PM       
This is what I just read.

http://www.destructoid.com/disney-ac...h-146880.phtml
teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 11:15 AM       
I'm reading an autobiography called "My Lobotomy". It's fascinating. This 12 year old kid's psycho abusive stepmother basically told any lie she had to to make sure that the icepick-lobotomy happened, because she thought it would make him easier to control.

Comes complete with freaky photos that the doctor (the infamous Dr. Freeman, who spread the doctrine of the icepick lobotomy far and wide) snapped during the surgery to show off:

http://soundportraits.org/on-air/my_lobotomy/page4.php

Last edited by Kitsa : Sep 4th, 2009 at 05:03 PM. Reason: added lobotomy photo link
Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 08:46 PM       
Jesus Christ that sounds interesting, but also to scary for me to read.
Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 08:51 PM       
*too damnit.

Now I look like an idiot in the BOOK forum. How come I don't have an edit button?

I'm reading Player of Games by Iain M. Banks, by the way. Second book in The Culture series. Good so far.

Spoilers!
teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old Sep 4th, 2009, 05:18 PM       
I'm re-reading "The Unwilling Vestal". I haven't had a copy in my hands since high school latin class, and I wanted to see if there was anything I'd missed.

Nope. Same stilted post-Edwardian "Latin Scholar" take I remembered.
ni kar'tayl gar darasuum
Kybo Ren is probably a spambot
Old Sep 12th, 2009, 01:02 PM       
the ZOMBIE survival guide by Max Brooks- should of bought this damn thing years ago, now I feel vindicated in zombie proofing my domicile.

OUTCAST, OMEN, ABYSS- STAR WARS: blah, blah, jedi, or force or something or other.
liking them better than I thought, lots of good Luke & Han action, but not at the same time.

STAR WARS: firefight. oh that X-7, can't kill Luke on his own, so he hires a bunch of mercs, shoots them up and sends the survivors after our favorite rebels. it may be a kids book, but at least Mighty Chewbacca is kicking some ass <burn in hell R.A. Salvatore> *****spoiler alert: Lune Divinian shows up pimping a firspray. OH YEAH!!!!*********

Owner's manual to a 1993 Honda Accord- I've read worse
teacup of sunshine
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 09:36 PM       
My mom gave me "Punk: the Definitive Record of a Revolution" as a gift. I guess what I was hoping for was "Please Kill Me" with more pictures. I loved Please Kill Me.

There are lots of interesting pictures, yeah, but I was disappointed to find that the majority of the book is given over to kissing the asses of Malcolm McLaren/The Sex Pistols/Vivienne Westwood, like they defined all that is punk and that should be good enough for the likes of you. Really, they just made it cartoonish.

Still, good purchase for the pictures, even though the text (especially the captions) is annoyingly tiny.
Mogwai Trainer
CinnamonGrrl Erin is probably a spambot
Old Sep 18th, 2009, 02:52 PM       
I am re-reading "The Historian" by Elizabeth Kostovo. I really can't recommend it enough; it's a wonderfully modern take on the Gothic genre of the 1800s.
Esq.
stevetothepast is probably a spambot
Old Sep 18th, 2009, 04:01 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsa View Post
My mom gave me "Punk: the Definitive Record of a Revolution" as a gift. I guess what I was hoping for was "Please Kill Me" with more pictures. I loved Please Kill Me.

There are lots of interesting pictures, yeah, but I was disappointed to find that the majority of the book is given over to kissing the asses of Malcolm McLaren/The Sex Pistols/Vivienne Westwood, like they defined all that is punk and that should be good enough for the likes of you. Really, they just made it cartoonish.

Still, good purchase for the pictures, even though the text (especially the captions) is annoyingly tiny.
I was going to buy Please kill me a while back, kind of wish I did now. Have you read "Our band could be your life" I want it bad.
Amicable Herculean
captain516 is probably a real personcaptain516 is probably a real person
Old Sep 19th, 2009, 04:17 AM       
I'm halfway through "The Chosen" by Chaim Potok, which isn't nearly as cool as I thought it would be from the title. It's about the friendship of two Jewish boys. What really bugs me is that in the book, all they ever do is either study the Talumnd or go to the library to read. I mean, haven't these guys ever heard of the park, or the movie theater?
Esq.
Old Sep 19th, 2009, 06:55 PM       
http://www.amazon.com/Vice-Guide-Dru.../dp/0446692816

This is pretty damn hilarious at times.
teacup of sunshine
Old Sep 20th, 2009, 06:07 PM       
Nope, steve, haven't read that one but Please Kill Me is definitely worth it. Very balanced, I thought.

The Punk pictorial thing...well, as I said, some good photos but I definitely got tired of page after page of Johnny Rotten's face. You'd think everything began and ended with the damn Sex Pistols (I hated them anyway)...they take up a good 3/4 of the book.

They also spent too much time on Andy Warhol and gave him (I think) way too much credit.
Esq.
Old Sep 20th, 2009, 07:49 PM       
I hate andy warhol and the sex pistols.
teacup of sunshine
Old Sep 21st, 2009, 08:41 AM       
the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

I hate pretty much everything Malcolm McLaren has ever done. He strikes me as an egomaniac who tries to take credit for everyone else's success. I hate even seeing him in interviews, just that smug look on his face.

And I think that Andy Warhol just embodies that "it's art because it's trendy" thing. His paintings are one thing, but the films*? The happenings? The Exploding Plastic Inevitable? The fucking Velvet Underground with Nico droning away? Errrggghh.

*Having to watch "Empire" in an art course, beginning to end, should be the new vision of hell. Dante is outdated.
Amicable Herculean
captain516 is probably a real personcaptain516 is probably a real person
Old Sep 21st, 2009, 12:02 PM       
The Scarlet Pimpernell- it sucks, the whole book seems to be about lord percy and his wife. Someone please tell me it gets better.
Esq.
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 09:03 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsa View Post
the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

I hate pretty much everything Malcolm McLaren has ever done. He strikes me as an egomaniac who tries to take credit for everyone else's success. I hate even seeing him in interviews, just that smug look on his face.

And I think that Andy Warhol just embodies that "it's art because it's trendy" thing. His paintings are one thing, but the films*? The happenings? The Exploding Plastic Inevitable? The fucking Velvet Underground with Nico droning away? Errrggghh.

*Having to watch "Empire" in an art course, beginning to end, should be the new vision of hell. Dante is outdated.
Agreed. But I do have a certain love for the velvet underground.
SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old Sep 25th, 2009, 01:28 PM       
Trying to finish Motley Crue's the dirt by next friday so I can read "The Ghost King".
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Sep 26th, 2009, 08:31 AM       
whenever i think of andy warhol films i think of trash and then i think of hairy penises

oh and then that girl with thehuge fake boobs at thebegining
teacup of sunshine
Old Sep 27th, 2009, 12:27 AM       
After what I've had to see in various art classes, I'm now convinced that I would chew my own leg off to get out of watching another lengthy warhol creation.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Guitar Woman is probably a real personGuitar Woman is probably a real person
Old Sep 28th, 2009, 11:36 PM       
Transmetropolitan.

My favorite thing so far is the mention of an Ebola bomb in Spider's toilet.

I once broke into a cabin in the woods and used the toilet, but now I know to be more careful.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Sep 28th, 2009, 11:50 PM       
haha yea that's a really bad idea bruce campbell from evil dead part 1
teacup of sunshine
Old Oct 1st, 2009, 03:49 PM       
"The Lives They Left Behind"- nonfiction. a mental hospital was being torn down and historians were searching the grounds when they found an attic full of all the personal belongings that had been taken from the patients. It's a series of case studies tying their previous lives to what they became after being imprisoned in the hospital. It's really sad
God Emperor of Brigadoon

King Hadas is probably pretty okKing Hadas is probably pretty okKing Hadas is probably pretty ok
Old Oct 4th, 2009, 09:13 PM       
I was wandering through the library the other day when I realized that all the books I've ever read in my life would only fill out about two or three shelves.

I finished Mao: A Life a few hours ago.
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 06:15 PM       
I just got this book in J-Town the other day. http://www.yokaiattack.com/ I like mythology and folklore a lot.