Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Comics 'n Books
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 06:21 PM       
I actually found a copy of Ten Little N*ggers at a used book store and I bought it out of sheer vintage-tude; I've already got And Then There Were None hardcover.
teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 10:15 AM       
My grandmother gave me a copy of Little Black Sambo when I was a kid. The weird thing is, for all the racism it implies, Little Black Sambo was from India, not Africa. The original illustrations make it very, very clear.
Banned

kgp4death is probably a spambot
Old Oct 12th, 2009, 02:20 PM       
The encyclopedia....almost done.
SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old Oct 13th, 2009, 09:30 AM       
Ghost King. Hopefully it will be better than the pirate and orc kings.
Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Oct 17th, 2009, 12:23 AM       
I just finished Use of Weapons, by Iain M. Banks. It was fantastic, my favourite of his so far. The twist at the end was a complete surprise, and I could only see it coming a few paragraphs before it happened. I had to keep myself from looking ahead by covering the offending passages with my hands. I kept saying to myself in my head "no, no no! Don't let THAT be the case!" Right up to the end.

Have now started his most recent sci fi The Algebraist. It's great so far. Some nut on the bus last night noticed I was reading his favourite author and proceded to annoy me with his views on metaphysics and Socrates. This is the second time this has happened.
filthiest soap dish
Babs is probably a spambot
Old Oct 18th, 2009, 10:29 PM       
Right now I'm reading two books currently. Right now I'm reading "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest" and as well "Marshal Zhukov's Greatest Battles". Really enjoying the book by Ken Kesey and also really fond of Georgy Zhukov's book. A very interesting point of view of the battle of Stalingrad from the words the most decorated man in Soviet history (not just the battle of Stalingrad I might add).
Werehamster
Seth is probably a spambot
Old Oct 19th, 2009, 11:12 PM       
Working on The Picture of Dorian Gray, Alice's Adventure's in Wonderland, and Dracula concurrently. It's amusing to see writers of the same era all referencing each other and using similar "in" words, like "picturesque".
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Oct 19th, 2009, 11:41 PM       
You haven't read those 3 yet? Interesting. I'm in need of a big book. Maybe tales of 2 cities.
Werehamster
Old Oct 20th, 2009, 10:49 PM       
A Tale of Two Cities was interesting, but it was hard for me to stay with it because of the style. I hope you enjoy it :D (If you haven't read it already, I suggest The Count of Monte Cristo, if our tastes are by any chance similar.)
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Oct 20th, 2009, 11:00 PM       
Ah! I haven't. Let's say I enjoyed reading Don Quixote, but can't get into Poe or Shakespeare. It's not the style that hurts me, it's my lack of comprehension.
Werehamster
Old Oct 24th, 2009, 12:04 AM       
Oh, okay. Yeah, with some authors... I'd imagine it's something like I don't mind reading them, but since they take more studying, so to say, than reading, that I need to be in the mood for it. It takes more effort.

So, on that front, I would heavily agree with Shakespeare, especially since his work is in middle English and requires knowing the time period to understand a lot of the moral (or immoral) and historical backing of some stuff.

For instance, Macbeth took a lot out of me because, although it is beautifully written, you cannot appreciate its intrinsic power until you understand the time frame it was written in and who it was targeted at. Needless to say I now love it now that I've already studied it and read it, and now when I re-read it I can enjoy it more than study it.

Poe, well... :D He more often takes a kind of... I want to say fantastical and romantic mindset, although romantic not being used in its current-day slaughtered definition. Does that kind of make sense? I felt that he isn't so much about context, as Shakespeare is, as style and approach, itself. It's kind of hard to explain.

Anyway, your avy is full of win. I thought I would share that.
SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old Oct 24th, 2009, 09:07 AM       
I really shouldn't have gotten the unabridged version of Don Quixote.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Oct 24th, 2009, 04:24 PM       
I'm going to buy One-upmanship, I've decided.
☆☆☆☆☆
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 12:25 AM       
I tried really hard to read Macbeth. It came with all kinds of wonderful notes and explanations. I used to read it on the beach all day, but it really was taxing on me. I might try Poe again if it was on my girlfriends coffee table and she was in the shower.

Dante's Divine Comedy was a great read too. I also think I will be hard pressed to find a better Avatar.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Nov 6th, 2009, 06:59 AM       
you can always just watch throne of blood instead :O
Mocker
elx is probably pretty okelx is probably pretty okelx is probably pretty okelx is probably pretty ok
Old Nov 7th, 2009, 07:50 PM       
i'm reading Warped Passages by Lisa Randall
she's so great

-MODERATOR MILHORSE
Will chop you good.
sspadowsky is probably a spambot
Old Nov 9th, 2009, 08:20 PM       
I am currently using this:

to get to this:
Amicable Herculean
captain516 is probably a real personcaptain516 is probably a real person
Old Nov 9th, 2009, 10:33 PM       
Catcher In The Rye.
Insane Writer
ZeldaQueen is probably a spambot
Old Nov 9th, 2009, 10:41 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadao View Post
I tried really hard to read Macbeth. It came with all kinds of wonderful notes and explanations. I used to read it on the beach all day, but it really was taxing on me.
I never had much trouble with Shakespeare but then I only really read it in my Lit classes with teachers who took time to point out the various dirty little jokes the Bard put in there (like the rape threats in Midsummer Night's Dream).

On the other hand, I really can't get into the historic Shakespeare stuff.

@ sspadowsky - If you finish that, you should consider Sense and Sensibility and Sea Serpents.
"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing." "But," says Man, "The Babel fish proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't." "Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanished in a puff of logic.
Will chop you good.
sspadowsky is probably a spambot
Old Nov 9th, 2009, 10:51 PM       
Thanks for the tip, ZQ. By the bye, I would like to state that I will gouge out my own eyes, stuff the sockets with hand grenades, and detonate them simultaneously before I EVER read another Jane Austen book.
Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Nov 10th, 2009, 02:32 AM       
The television adaptations of Jane Austen are always superior, I think.
SKATASTIC
Old Nov 10th, 2009, 10:20 AM       
http://www.oprah.com/article/omagazi...cusack?cnn=yes

Who cares?
Insane Writer
ZeldaQueen is probably a spambot
Old Nov 10th, 2009, 12:05 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspadowsky View Post
Thanks for the tip, ZQ. By the bye, I would like to state that I will gouge out my own eyes, stuff the sockets with hand grenades, and detonate them simultaneously before I EVER read another Jane Austen book.
No problem. I'm surprised there aren't more like that written. It's inspired me to work on Hamlet and Werewolves.

But like Zhukov said, the movie and TV adaptations tend to be easier to follow.
"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing." "But," says Man, "The Babel fish proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't." "Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanished in a puff of logic.
Arts & Farts
Krythor is probably a real personKrythor is probably a real person
Old Nov 16th, 2009, 07:58 PM       
About to start 69 Things to Do with a Dead Princess by Stewart Home and Samuel Beckett's Trilogy.