Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Comics 'n Books
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Jul 11th, 2010, 07:40 PM       
Yeah, I've heard that it's smaller than a bedroom.
Son of a Sandworm??!
timrpgland is probably a spambot
Old Jul 15th, 2010, 07:59 PM       
"The Winter War" by William Durbin. He's my uncle so it's pretty much the only reason I'm checking it out. Most of his novels are for the younger crowd. Historical novel, Soviet Union invading Finland in November 1939.

XBOX LIVE: KefkaGrim
wizbenny is probably a spambot
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 01:53 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by timrpgland View Post
"The Winter War" by William Durbin. He's my uncle so it's pretty much the only reason I'm checking it out. Most of his novels are for the younger crowd. Historical novel, Soviet Union invading Finland in November 1939.
That's very cool. Historical fiction is very tough to do well.
has a woody
Phoenix Gamma is probably a spambot
Old Jul 24th, 2010, 02:18 AM       
Just finished the last Scott Pilgrim book.

God, what a let down. Wangst got cranked up ("it felt like I was trapped in a river..."), the fights were stupid (and not funny stupid. Just stupid) and the pacing was horrible. I missed reading a fun comic about a guy fighting even exboyfriends with occasional game jokes tucked away in a few pages. Not stupid melodrama. Now I definitely don't want to see the movie.

BOO! A SPOOPY GHOST :x
Esuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contest
Old Jul 24th, 2010, 02:20 AM       
I've never read a Stephen King book before, so I'm going to try The Stand and see how it goes

Well ok I've read Thinner but that's a Richard Bachman book w/e

TomWritesAboutStuff.com - The #1 Worst Blog
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Jul 24th, 2010, 02:24 AM       
It's gotta be one of the best, really. The Shining and It are good, too.
WHAT'S THIS?!
Pentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contest
Old Jul 24th, 2010, 09:27 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esuohlim View Post
I've never read a Stephen King book before, so I'm going to try The Stand and see how it goes

"Richard Bachman's" greatest contribution to entertainment was when The Running Man became a movie
CHIEF OF POLICE
MLE is probably pretty okMLE is probably pretty okMLE is probably pretty okMLE is probably pretty ok
Old Jul 24th, 2010, 09:45 AM       
Though the best work that King wrote while he was writing as Bachman was The Long Walk. I loved that shit.
Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Jul 24th, 2010, 11:44 AM       
Quote:
Make sure you start at the begining of his career and work your way through while giving us one line reviews.
Esuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contest
Old Jul 24th, 2010, 02:56 PM       
I was thinking about doing that with I-Mock members in reverse alphabetical order

frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Jul 24th, 2010, 03:00 PM       
Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Jul 24th, 2010, 03:58 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLE View Post
Though the best work that King wrote while he was writing as Bachman was The Long Walk. I loved that shit.
as soon as i saw the crack about the running man the FIRST THING i thought of was WHAT ABOUT THE LONG WALK
pickled
Nick is probably a spambot
Old Jul 25th, 2010, 08:19 AM       
Some shitty webcomic called Wayward Sons.
Old Jul 30th, 2010, 02:35 PM       
At least you're reading.

Meanwhile I've been reading Lackadaisy Cats with my daughter. The author gave me a book at SDCC, and it's some pretty amazing stuff... I'm not typically into anthropomorphic stuff, but the artist has real talent which gets me past that barrier. I can recommend it.

I also started reading an interesting Webcomic called OUT THERE from R.C. Monroe. He was at my booth, and I got a chance to peruse his stuff. Again, not the typical fare I'd read, but pretty good focus on characterization, not artwork.

I picked up several novels from the Del Ray and Tor booths as well, but haven't dove into those just yet.
Old Jul 30th, 2010, 02:39 PM       
Quote:

The thing that frustrates me with Stephen King is... he's brilliant at creating concepts and characterization... but he FAILS to outline his plots or where to take them.

So it's invariably enjoyable right up to the climax, and then the whole thing seems to meander and fall apart. He has great beginnings and middles, but AWFUL endings.

I don't think I've EVER read a Stephen King book (and I've read a lot) and gone, "What a satisfying ending..." The best I've managed to say was, "Well... that was... different."
Old Jul 30th, 2010, 04:27 PM       
Yeah I mean novels since that was what was being discussed. His novellas are typically better constructed... Guess I should have specified.

Mind you, I enjoy them overall, but disappointed in the finales.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Jul 30th, 2010, 04:37 PM       
I like a lot of his non-supernatural thriller stuff. Fo' realsy
Old Jul 30th, 2010, 05:05 PM       
Well since I'm the kind of person who enjoys reading books and cares more about the journey than the destination, I'm not going to be put off by bad endings as long as most of the overall book is good. I'm about 400 pages into the Stand and it's incredible so far, btw.

frappez le cochon rouge
Old Jul 30th, 2010, 05:32 PM       
Trashcan Man is one of my favorite characters in anything ever.
Old Jul 30th, 2010, 07:15 PM       
Bombedy bombedy bomb.

The Dark Tower series was very cool in that it tied a lot of his books together into one kind of psuedo-continuity. Ending sucked tho... which, he even SAYS will suck with a disclaimer for anyone reading it. Seriously. Kind of insulting.

Still, there's no denying he's a good writer... he just needs an equally good editor to pin him down to endings that make sense and he'd be a perfect writer. LOL.

Everyone needs a sounding board... in my opinion. Unfortunately (as demonstrated by Lucas) when you're surrounded by sycophants and yes-men... too afraid of upsetting the 800 lb gorilla... you're left with bland creative from otherwise talented people.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Jul 30th, 2010, 08:15 PM       
I don't think it's easy to end a magnum opus.
Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Jul 31st, 2010, 04:41 AM       
the dark tower series is very simple. as soon as stephen king wrote himself into it, as a character, it solidified as crap.

It's archetypal Dune Syndrome; everything gets too damn big, everything gets explained even as more questions are raised, the explained again, everything gets lost in the muddle, everything gets ridiculous in a hurry and then the whole damn series collapses in on itself in a ludicrous, quivering pile of What The Hell Was THAT Crap
Ancient Mariner
Old Jul 31st, 2010, 04:49 AM       
psuedo-continuity, my ass. Occasionally, continuity wouldbe briefly hinted at in books like Cujo (yes... and It). From there, connections were firmly established in Insomnia.

Unfortunately, all that was just too damn interesting and subtle, so we get beaten over the head with ZOMG ROLAND ACTUALLY MET STEPHEN KING AND TOLD HIM THAT EVERY STORY HE EVER WROTE WOULD ACTUALLY BE ABOUT THE DARK TOWER LET'S ALL GO TO BARNES AND NOBLE AND GEEK OUT TOGETHER