Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

VinceZeb is probably a spambot
Old May 13th, 2003, 01:01 PM        Neil Boortz: America is becoming a police state
source: http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=32543

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: May 13, 2003
1:00 a.m. Eastern

By Neal Boortz
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
© 2003 WorldNetDaily.com

About 10 days ago, some obscure British diplomat opined that America was becoming a police state. This utterance brought on the usual expressions of outrage from Americans who have grown somewhat weary of the anti-American sentiments of foreign leftists.

Now that the rhetoric has died down a bit, can we take a second look at what this anti-American firebrand had to say? While it's almost certainly true that this British politician's statement had malicious, rather than benevolent, overtones, perhaps we should consider whether there might be some truth in his words. Let's take that "police state" charge and run with it for a few hundred words.

First, a definition: The Internet's dictionary.com website defines "police state" as: "A state in which the government exercises rigid and repressive controls over the social, economic and political life of the people, especially by means of a secret police force."

Simple enough! All we have to do now is discern whether or not our beloved country exercises what might be called "rigid and oppressive controls" over our "social, economic and political life." I'm certainly not here to argue that America has become a police state in the image of any number of communist, fascist or theocratic regimes you could name. Let's just say that we need to look at this picture a bit more closely.

First, our social life: We begin early here, with zero-tolerance rules in our schools. Would you say that kicking a young girl out of school because her Tweetie Bird key chain is a weapon is just a bit rigid? How about expelling an Eagle Scout who inadvertently came to school with his Boy Scout ax in the trunk of his car after a Scout meeting the previous night?

As we move into adulthood, we face Republican Sen. Rick Santorum's expressed belief that the nuances of our sex lives ought to be subject to government regulation based on majority rule! In Santorum's America, you would presumably have to get your government's blessing before you became too adventurous with your mate in the privacy of your home. In some states – Alabama, for instance – the "improper" use of a battery-operated device could land you in the pokey!

And what of the sanctity of your home? In Covington, Ga., you are required by law to submit to government inspections of your home. They even measure the temperature inside your refrigerator! If you resist the inspection, you will be arrested and jailed while the government inspectors prowl through your stuff.

In government colleges and universities across the nation, students are subject to disciplinary action if they utter an "offensive" or "insensitive" thought.

We're running out of space ... so let's move on to our economic lives.

The level of taxation burdening the average American family in 2003 is higher than that imposed by the British Crown in pre-revolutionary war America. Many Americans work into the month of June without earning one single penny for themselves. We are forced to "contribute" almost 15 percent of our earnings into a bankrupt income redistribution /vote-buying scheme that is sold to us as a retirement and insurance plan. Our government goes to extreme measures to make it as difficult as possible for us to provide for the health-care needs of our families, preferring instead to build dependence on employers and government.

Our government can pry into your bank accounts without your knowledge or permission, and just recently tried to enact a program that would require your bank or credit union to notify the government in the event you engage in any economic activity that doesn't track with your past behavior.

Remember, also, the forfeiture regulations. We actually had a U.S. senator introduce legislation that, if it had become law, would have permitted any local or federal law enforcement officer to seize your cash if he happened to find you carrying more than 10 grand in an airport, bus station, interstate highway or most other public places. No arrest, no questions, no charges ... just take the money. The legislation failed, but police agencies seize cash from hapless citizens just the same.

We find evidence of government rigidity and oppression in our political lives too. Just try to get a third party on a ballot in almost any state. It's difficult to impossible. Gerrymandering voters into congressional districts shaped like drunken tapeworms denies many voters an effective voice in Congress. And let's not forget the Democrats' efforts in 2000 to wipe out the votes of Americans serving abroad in the uniform of our armed forces.

Finally, what about the definition's reference to "secret police?" Consider the IRS, the DEA and the ATF. The IRS, for instance, pays your neighbor or co-worker to spy on your economic and social behavior.

Space runs short, the examples do not. For further reading, I refer you to the Bush administration's Patriot Acts I and II.

Happy reading.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old May 13th, 2003, 01:22 PM       
While that article offers an excellent start, he complains mostly about things that predate the current administration. While I'd certainly agree that many of the things on his list are huge overeactions and some of it is a pre-lude to a Police State, the conditions imposed by the current administration, which I see as a 'Great Leap Forward' toward the USA as police state, are mentioned onlyu in the essays last line, and only as recomended reading.

So, while I enjoyed the article, if you posted it as some sort of response to my charge tht you aren't much of a Liberatarain, Vinth, I would suggest that you
A.) Speak for yourself
and
B.) If you must cut and paste, do so with Liberatarian articles on the implications of the Patriot act.
ranxer is probably a spambot
Old May 13th, 2003, 02:01 PM       
yeah, boortz doesnt mention that with the bush administrations patriot I and II and homeland security the police can now enter and search someones home if they arent there! omg what the fuck is that? no warrant, just a suspicion or anonymous acusation is all it takes! plus they can listen in on phone calls of any acqaintance or place the suspicious might happen to visit.. no warrant, nothing. i suspect this is for targetting.. or is it that bad that they can use what they gather with these techniques as evidence admissable in court?

how bout the corporate protection in patriot act II attacking the freedom of information act, it restricts access to information about environmental and health risks posed by companies that use dangerous chemicals. ! hmm, how does that help nab terrorists?

there's lots more that's freaking scary, these restrictions may catch a few terrorists, but this is not going to 'win' a 'war on terror' especially if there's corporate influence on the rules and profits being weighed over people.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old May 13th, 2003, 04:13 PM       
You guys are missing the point.

Boortz has said it, so now it's true. LET THE OUTRAGE BEGIN!

VinceZeb is probably a spambot
Old May 13th, 2003, 06:01 PM       
I posted it because I thought it was interesting. This is a politics fourm, isnt it?
Resident Chimp
Old May 13th, 2003, 08:05 PM       
SHOW YOUR OUTRAGE, VINCE!

The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old May 14th, 2003, 09:56 AM       
It is, and I responded fairly thoughtfully. However, as a politics board it's still part of I-mockery. You can take the politics out of I-mockery, but you can't take the mockery of the politics forum.

And if it hsn't dawned on you, humor, sarcasm, Mockery, etc. are very effective tools for political analysis. You can't always expect the conversation to go where you want it.

Chimps point, as I see it, is that Boortz's opinion hold disproportional sway over a certain segment of the population as represented by you, Vinth. You may not agree, or feel it is a particularly germaine comment , but you can hardly deny it's political.
Resident Chimp
Old May 14th, 2003, 04:16 PM       
I'm glad you finally stopped making jokes for a few seconds and finally got the point.