Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Mocker

James sucks
Old May 21st, 2004, 02:56 PM        Calif. Teachers Said to Help Pupils Cheat
Since someone was politically gay enough to delete my thread, I figure I'll try to contribute even more productively. So I'm going to deliver to you all some news that has nothing to do with politics, until you all realize how gay politics are.

LOS ANGELES (AP) - At least 75 California teachers helped students cheat on standardized exams since a new testing program began five years ago, according to a newspaper report citing state documents.

Incidents include teachers who gave hints by drawing on the blackboard or leaving posters on the wall, told students the right answers and changed the students' responses themselves, the Los Angeles Times reported, referring to documents obtained through a Public Records Act request.

The teachers were among more than 200 investigated in California for possible cheating since a statewide exam program began five years ago.

State education officials say the numbers of proven cases are small in a state with more than 200,000 teachers.

Some educators said temptation to cheat soared under the federal No Child Left Behind Act, which can take away funding or reassign teachers in schools with consistently low test scores.

So far the state has intervened at 56 schools with poor scores, shaking up staffs. The federal government has warned 11 California campuses that they could lose funding or face other sanctions.

``Some people feel that they need to boost test scores by hook or by crook,'' said Larry Ward of the National Center for Fair and Open Testing, a watchdog group that has criticized many standardized tests. ``The more pressure, the more some people take the unethical option.''

Union officials said cases of possible cheating soared after the statewide testing began. Since 1999, the California Teachers Association has defended more than 100 teachers accused of cheating, compared to one or two a year before that, chief counsel Beverly Tucker said.

In some cases, the teachers were allowed to stay; others were fired or resigned, the newspaper said.

California allows districts to determine punishments, and most districts, citing privacy, do not disclose those decisions. State officials say they can't afford to do much checking up on districts.

On the Net:

Test watchdog group: http://www.fairtest.org

Union: http://www.cta.org

05/21/04 10:57

© Copyright The Associated Press. All rights reserved. The information contained In this news report may not be published, broadcast or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press.
Mocker
Big Papa Goat is probably a spambot
Old May 21st, 2004, 03:01 PM       
These teachers are part of a leftist union and are therefore traitors to america, and are part of a jewish conspiracy to destroy the work ethic of our children.

punkgrrrlie10 is probably a spambot
Old May 21st, 2004, 03:52 PM       
Oh I was gonna lean more towards "this is Bush's fault"