Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Comics 'n Books
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Virgin
thegrayhoodie is probably a spambot
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 12:35 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by glowbelly View Post
moby dick was a fuckin snorefest.
Agreed. 8000 pages of explaining the minutiae of different knots and impenetrable sea-speak? Fuck you very much Ishmael.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 03:45 PM       
I've never understood why English teachers think that the sun shine's out of Shakespeare's ass. I think it's pretty dull.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 03:49 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esuohlim View Post
Did you like Catch-22 though, because I love Catch-22 and I was going to try that one next
I fumble names, I'm sorry. Anyway, it took a while to get going. Something Happened, I mean. Eventually, I put it down after I felt the story was going nowhere for long enough. I can't speak for everybody, though. I think you should read it.
El Oh El is probably a spambot
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 09:09 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by AChimp View Post
I've never understood why English teachers think that the sun shine's out of Shakespeare's ass. I think it's pretty dull.
Hamlet is the only Shakespeare I can stand.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Guitar Woman is probably a real personGuitar Woman is probably a real person
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 09:29 PM       
The Aeneid and The Importance of Being Earnest.

Yeah, I know they aren't really BOOK books, but fuck you. Although Aeneid was more because the copy I had was translated so that every two lines formed a rhyming couplet and it confusing and annoying to read

Also, I love Old Man and the Sea

Last edited by Guitar Woman : Mar 22nd, 2008 at 11:42 PM.
Mongoloid
Cedar is probably a spambot
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 12:59 AM       
Don Quixote
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 01:49 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedar View Post
Don Quixote
This is one of my favorites, thank god I didn't read it in school, but of my own free will.
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Sethomas is probably a spambot
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 01:56 AM       
One time i was in some chain book store looking at Libros en Español and found a copy of Don Quixote in Classical Spanish. It was a beautifully-bound volume and surprisingly not a modern translation. I decided I MUST have it, but didn't buy it for some reason at that moment and wanted to come back for it later. It was gone later, and I was sad.

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 02:08 AM       
What was the print date... not to drive the knife in deeper or anything
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Sethomas is probably a spambot
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 02:30 AM       
Since that episode was probably three years ago, all I can remember was that it looked like it was made in the past 15 years. I was amazed that it was at a lame chain store in the first place, where they usually only sell books in Spanish to pander to migrant workers. (Last time I looked at that section, half the books were various editions of La Biblia Sagrada and the other half were various editions of Mi Vida by Bill Clinton.) But, if that book happened to be a well-preserved 16th century codex missing from the Spanish Royal Collection, then I guess I really should have coughed up the $25 when I had the chance.

On that note, I have reason to suspect that one of my antiphonal leaves was part of a dismembered codex stolen from the Vatican. I did email the FBI office for the area where my dealer lives about it and they never responded, so I guess I'm in the clear.

More on topic, though, I really really hated reading House of Leaves. My friend demanded that I do so, so I did it because I love her. I've described it more than once as being "so pretentious that it feels grossly inadequate when the book pokes fun at itself for being pretentious". Once I was done, though, it began to plague my dreams heavily so I guess maybe my subconscious enjoyed it more than I did. Also, it made listening to Poe (the singer) more interesting.

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT
☆☆☆☆☆
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 02:36 AM       
Another book I didn't enjoy,
On the Road.
And I'm a great Steinbeck fan, but Travels with Charlie didn't do it for me.
Egg
Dixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's army
Old Jan 29th, 2008, 09:41 AM       
Sweet Valley High
Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Jan 29th, 2008, 02:06 PM       
I just finished reading House of Leaves, and I really, really wish The Navidson Record was just a short story unto itself.
Official Punching Bag
JakeOfAllTrades is probably a spambot
Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 03:28 AM       
Vapor by Amanda Philipacchi. She creeps me out more than Stephen King, in the wrong way. I mean, she gets kidnapped by him, he gets kidnapped by her, both have a psychopathic and shameless love affair, and there's a really unnecessary torture scene that is just horrible.

Anil's Ghost by Michael Ondaatje was also terrible. It was a pretentious "Ooh, I wrote The English Patient, look at my pretty and wordy paragraphs that are beautiful yet gaudy baubles that add nothing to the story. And what was the deal with the ending?

Don't get me started on Eragon. It's like a train wreck filled with stolen Star Wars plots that got derailed by sheer genericness. Yes, the Mono-myth of Campbell is a worthy exploration but when you blatantly steal character designs from George Lucas and get away with it, is it truly an honest victory? (Not that I have any respect for George Lucas anymore after the "Prequels of Doom". You know what I mean.)

But by far The Secret is craptacularest of all. Do people honestly believe that the Universe will give them stuff if you ask for it? You have to earn it!
AWESOME
Madman914 is probably a spambot
Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 05:52 PM       
Lord of the Flies.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Feel the guilt
Fat_Hippo is probably a spambot
Old Feb 10th, 2008, 10:35 AM       
I didn't even think Eragon was that bad, since I don't analyze books. Sure, wasn't great, but it passed the time alright.

Any book I've ever read in school, except for the one about yellow fever, and I only liked that 'cause it made me glad to live in the 21st century.
Why is it that you only read books in school, which would ONLY be read in school?
I'm not even necessarily talking about classsics, but simply books, which are neither intriguing enough to be picked up by adults, and way to dull to be picked up by children? I DON'T GIVE A FLYING SHIT ABOUT SOME INDIAN GIRL WHO WAS STUCK ON AN ISLAND FOR 40 FUCKING YEARS! AND I CARE EVEN LESS IF SHE REALLY EXISTED! Island of Blue Dolphins MY ASS!
He speaks truth!
BOO! A SPOOPY GHOST :x
Esuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contest
Old Feb 10th, 2008, 04:23 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeOfAllTrades View Post
Don't get me started on Eragon. It's like a train wreck filled with stolen Star Wars plots that got derailed by sheer genericness. Yes, the Mono-myth of Campbell is a worthy exploration but when you blatantly steal character designs from George Lucas and get away with it, is it truly an honest victory? (Not that I have any respect for George Lucas anymore after the "Prequels of Doom". You know what I mean.)
It's because Eragon was written by a 12-year-old

TomWritesAboutStuff.com - The #1 Worst Blog
Näyttelijäbotti!
Pub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty ok
Old Feb 10th, 2008, 04:30 PM       
George Lucas in no way invented the plot devices he employed in Star Wars.
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Feb 11th, 2008, 03:52 PM       
A Separate Peace. I don't think anybody likes that book.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Feb 11th, 2008, 11:58 PM       
Angela's Ashes

I was forced to read this in Grade 12. It's about some dumb guy's childhood where he was some Irish asshole in some city where he was racialized or some shit. There's like three scenes in the book where he masturbates.

My teacher was pretty pissed off at me for pointing out that it was inappropriate for a school environment and I mentioned in one of the essays I had to write about it that the main character's response to difficult situations was to jerk off on park benches. I didn't do very well on that essay.
Official forum judge
Girl Drink Drunk is probably a spambot
Old Feb 12th, 2008, 09:12 AM       
The Stone Angel.
Kilgore Cod is probably a spambot
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 06:11 PM       
Neuromancer by William Gibson

This was recommended to me a few times but I found Gibson's writing style to be an unbearable bore.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 06:53 PM       
JOHNNY MNEMONIC.
Who? Me?
0dd1 is probably a spambot
Old Feb 19th, 2008, 05:27 PM       
If you want a snorefest, read Harriet the Spy. It's extremely boring to the highest exponentially infinite degree possible and I didn't even want to read past the first 20 pages because it was so boring.

The only good thing about it is that a "Hey Arnold!" short was shown in theatres before it when the movie came out. Even so, I was little and knew nothing of it then :-(
Mucho Porro
ElPila666 is probably a spambot
Old Feb 20th, 2008, 05:53 AM       
I read Friedrich Nietzche "Thus spoke zaratustra", man what a loose of time it toke me at least 3 weeks finish that dawm book, just empty words some of those copycat from others philosofous of his time, what he was thinking, the superman, the will of power, fuck you nazi scumbag, i think nietzche was the first EMO ever, he only closed himself into his selfish being that doesn't even care about human beings, that crazy feeling was addopted later for hitler, so that, only nazi EMO racist like to read nietzche if you doesn't know that you'll found out. I mean why anybody even bothered to make an anime about that book maybe could be more interesting insted of reading or maybe cause is shit