Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 11:10 AM       
Vinth, we already came to the conclusion that a gay gene isn't entirely responsible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preechr
As you guys have already pointed out, if being gay depended upon reproduction, gay itself would have died out long ago.
Not entirely true; a lot depends on social conditions. The Ancient Greeks were big homos, but they still had wives and children.
ranxer is probably a spambot
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 11:13 AM       
Quote:
And what can we say about a state that actively enforces it's sodomy laws?
a certain obsession? a fear?

and gay has been shown in experiments to increase as population density increases.. sounds like a form of population control to me.

sheesh, why can't people do what they want in thier own homes?!

i find it strange that the strongest anti-gay folks are religious.. why cant they let god sort it out like thier supposed to? why must the bible thumpers try to impose thier views on others (which is against gods will from what i've read) let those who have no sin cast the first stone!
Mocker

Helm is probably a spambot
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 12:04 PM       
Burbank: Gay animals are probably natural errors. From an evolutionary standpoint, a gay animal makes no sense, since it fails to reproduce. Nature's way is pretty much straightforward, so even if being gay might have some minor evolutionary benefit, it can't overshadow the fact that the animal has been made useless. Bisexuality is another issue, but seeing how very few animals have sex just to enjoy themselves, such a trait is -again from an evolutionary standpoint- pretty much useless. I believe most gay people are such because of social and psychological issues, but in the case when they're not, it's usually an issue of hormone glans defectivity. It can be argued that humans are naturally bisexual, but again I cannot see why nature would make them in such a way.
Mocker
theapportioner is probably a spambot
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 12:50 PM       
One area that isn't discussed nearly enough, masked certainly by the false nature (genetic) vs. nurture (social environment) dichotomy, is what goes on during embryonic and fetal development. A certain array of genes may predispose one towards homosexuality, but the embryonic environment, teratogenic influences, I bet plays a big role as well.
Ooner is probably a spambot
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 02:19 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by theapportioner
One area that isn't discussed nearly enough, masked certainly by the false nature (genetic) vs. nurture (social environment) dichotomy, is what goes on during embryonic and fetal development. A certain array of genes may predispose one towards homosexuality, but the embryonic environment, teratogenic influences, I bet plays a big role as well.
Very, very good point. Amniotic fluids have always been a big part of my wild guesses about it, but never seem to get mention in these debates.

Location: one shot, right between the eyes, just for old times sake
Bennett is probably a spambot
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 02:24 PM       
I don't know why Vince doesn't just settle this, and tell us exactly why he wants Kevin to suck his cock.
Mocker

Old Jun 17th, 2003, 02:40 PM       
Quote:
teratogenic influences
Isn't that what you'd call a natural error? Elaborate.
Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 02:41 PM       
[quote="Helm"]Burbank: Gay animals are probably natural errors. From an evolutionary standpoint, a gay animal makes no sense, since it fails to reproduce. Nature's way is pretty much straightforward, so even if being gay might have some minor evolutionary benefit, it can't overshadow the fact that the animal has been made useless. quote]

Not being able/willing to pass on one's genes does not make one useless to a species. The drone worker bees are sterile, but they are essiential to the surivival of the entire hive. I have heard of gay animals raising babies of the species who have been orphaned. Perhaps therein lies their use?
Red, dead meat!
Carnivore is probably a spambot
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 03:01 PM       
The cause(s) of homosexuality is(are) really irrelevant to the issue. The issue is whether homosexual acts should be criminal. I think the overwhelming majority, myself included, would say no. Does anyone think they should be illegal? Anyone willing to go on a little tirade about how homosexuality is a sin against God and they'll suffer eternally in the underworld?
Mocker

Old Jun 17th, 2003, 03:09 PM       
Jeanette: As I said, that's way to roundabout for nature. At least as far as I can tell.
Mocker
theapportioner is probably a spambot
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 03:15 PM       
Natural, sure, in that the embryo doesn't have any conscious experience of what nutrients etc. it's getting from the mother, but what is considered nature has taken a very genetic deterministic shift that has made us forget that an embryo's "natural environment" can be just as important, if not moreso.
Mocker

Old Jun 17th, 2003, 03:52 PM       
it's a bit unclear to me. Are you making some distinction between the whole process of birth, and a more specific part of said process?