Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

FS is probably a spambot
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 11:28 AM        the Gunslinger, Dark Tower I - revised
Since the Gunslinger was my favorite book from Stephen King's Dark Tower series, and one of my favorite King books in general, I ordered the revised version a while back. For those not in the know, since the Gunslinger was written long before any of the other books, and over a span of some twelve years, it kind of sticks out in language and style when compared to its successors. Plus, there's several plot mistakes for later on. After finishing the entire Dark Tower series (the last books will be published later this month, in the summer of 2004 and November 2004), King re-wrote the Gunslinger, the story being the same but sentences altered and some pieces rewritten alltogether.

I was curious as to what was changed, and knew for myself that a lot of things didn't fit in with the rest of the series, but it became a bit of a mess.

In the Gunslinger, Farson is mentioned as a town that is to be poisoned per order of the Good Man, the leader of the rebellion. In later books this Good Man becomes known as John Farson, so that was changed. The town is now called Farson. However, King now seems to suggest that John Farson is Marten, who is also Walter AND the Man in Black.

The language of the original book was very alienating and out there, and a lot of that has been fixed so the reader can understand better what's going on. But it's like no notes were kept at all. For instance, here's a passage from the original:

Quote:
The man in black smiled. "Shall we tell the truth then, you and I? No more lies? No more glammer?"
Roland: "Glammer? What does that mean?"
(...)
Roland: "Then we'll speak the truth." He had never spoken less on this night. "Start by telling me what glammer is."
And revised:

Quote:
The man in black smiled. "Shall we tell the truth then, you and I? No more lies?"
Roland: "I thought we had been."
(...)
Roland: "Well, I wouldn't want to tire you, so let us speak the truth." He had never spoken less on this night. "Start by telling me what exactly you mean by glammer."
It's nitpicking, but I'm mainly using it as an example. The man in black never mentions glammer, and Roland asks him what it is.

Other than that, there's a great deal more mentioning of names of characters from the following books. Roland also recognizes Sheb the piano player from his vision in the pink ball. The death of Allie, the bartender from Tull, is largely re-written, seemingly to soften the circumstances in which Roland kills her; in the end she actually begs for him to shoot her.

The speech of the characters is changed to align more with the half-made up country dialect that you hear mostly in the Waste Lands, which makes some sense, since Roland started out using a lot more contemporary speech ("How they hanging?" "You dudes live in town?"), but it's a bit exaggerated. Even when beyond Tull and alone with Jake, Roland speaks an overly gruff dialect with lots of "Yar" thrown in. Jake, in turn, picks up a lot of his expressions, but that seems mainly to illustrate that he's rapidly forgetting his own world and adjusting to the Gunslinger's.

It's hard to form an opinion on it when you know it's meant to be read mainly by people who are new to it, but I felt it might've been changed a bit too drastically in places. Still looking forward to the next book though, mainly because I'm curious to hear more about Roland's past.

There's something else that's kind of funny and kind of disturbing about this book - there's full-color illustrations added in this versions, and in a scene that depicts a young Roland and Cuthbert at the hanging of Hax, Roland's face is clearly that of Stephen King. If I get a chance I'll scan it and you can decide if I'm crazy or not.
PonchtheJedi is probably a spambot
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 05:30 PM       
I'm a huge Dark Tower fan, and I didn't know that he revised The Gunslinger. I'll have to pick it up, based on your review.
Mike P is probably a spambot
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 02:02 PM       
I was told by another Stephen King fan that the book "Eyes of the Dragon" was a prequel of sorts to "The Dark Tower", but as far as I can tell, this was based solely on the fact that both have a character named Roland in the story. Have you heard anything like this?
Mocker
The_Rorschach is probably a spambot
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 10:56 PM       
Mike. . .You know nothing about why the Dark Tower series is the best every written. You'd have to read most of King's books, and then the series, and you'll see for yourself. ANy hints would ruin it, in my opinion.

I love the Gunslinger series, the the Revised Ed is worth buying

And yes, sadly, Roland Deschain does look like Stephen King
Mike P is probably a spambot
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 11:17 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rorschach
Mike. . .You know nothing about why the Dark Tower series is the best every written. You'd have to read most of King's books, and then the series, and you'll see for yourself. ANy hints would ruin it, in my opinion.
I was actually planning on reading the series at one point, anyway. As for all of King's books... that is going to take a while. I have time, though. If there's one thing I have, it's time.

dailynotetoself is probably a spambot
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 03:11 AM        4th book in The Dark Tower
After recently finding out The Dark Tower serious was revised and now comeing out with new books I picked the first 3 up again. They were excelent reading, however I can not say they are S.K.s best work because, I realy don't read his books. I am currently reading the 4th book in this series which has been just added. This book features a flash back that lasts about 3/4ths the book. Now maybe to a Historyian this flash back might be intresting but currently it is about the most boring thing I have ever read. At first it was all right because the flash back talks about Roland, Bert, and Alain and there first adventure. Ok, ok, im not ever sure if this information is usefull yet however there seems to be no point what so ever and im nearing the last 100 or so pages. It drags on and on and on and on about seemingly a silly situation that the boys and rolands new girl friend find them in. This part of the book truely makes me want to beat the liveing snot out of all the characters.
The only reason why anyone would want to read this book is to continue the story for the few short and sweet segments with wheel chair chick and crack head. Who I cant even rember the names of now because its been so much reading sence they last talked about them. WHERE THE HELL IS THE DARK TOWER???

Exuse my dyslexia.

Dailynotetoself Admin.

Always looking for cynical writers.
Will chop you good.
sspadowsky is probably a spambot
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 11:54 AM       
Keep your pants on, there, Skippy. You've got a ways to go. Part IV serves an important purpose because it addresses things that the first three books touch on, but don't explain. Roland's past needs to be covered because the first three books don't say much about how Roland became who he is.

I believe Part V just came out, and VI and VII will be out within the next year. Part VII: The Dark Tower, is the final installment.
Will chop you good.
sspadowsky is probably a spambot
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 03:02 PM       
I now have Part V in my possession.

But I can't read it because I'm at work.

FS is probably a spambot
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 05:48 PM       
Blast. Only hardcover editions of Dark Tower V are available for me now, and I hate them because 1) they're 2/3 times as expensive as paperbacks 2) they're heavier (and I like to carry them on the go) and 3) they just read less pleasantly. I'll have to wait till February.

On Dark Tower IV: Wizard and Glass, though; I have to agree that the flashback is waaay to dragged out. I think King himself has admitted that romance is not his strong suit, but this part of the book was just too long. Still, I'm very curious about the fate of such characters as Cuthbert and Alain, and I hope they'll be spoken of more in the last three books. My only worry is that King has kinda lost track of the way he was going with his original story, and how the characters behaved.
PonchtheJedi is probably a spambot
Old Dec 11th, 2003, 04:37 PM        Possible Spoilers
This post might contain spoilers if you haven't read the fifth Dark Tower book -

But I have a question for anybody who has finished it.

*****Spoiler Alert*****

Anybody else think it was kinda cheesedick that SK referenced himself in the book?

***End Spoiler**
Space Viking Repo Man
Zbu Manowar is probably a spambot
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 01:53 AM       
Okay, where do I begin?

A few years back I gave up books for a while because I didn't really have the time. Said time came back to me a few months ago so I got back into reading hardcore. And in this mania, I decided to give King's works another try. Not being completely stupid--I don't have a high opinion of his work--I decided to read only the Dark Tower series as I've always had a fondness for those and thankfully they're possibly the only creative works that still entertain me.

Why do I dislike King? Because he takes a lot of liberties in rewriting The Stand under the guise of 'staying current.' Heaven forbid the man just says 'in the future' instead of jacking up the dates in each successive volume. To me, that says a lot of about his lack of being able to effectively write. Eventually, all media--movies, books, etc--will be outdated. You can take measures to avoid this by being ambigious in description but it's a way of life. And if you don't like it, live with it or follow the process above. Rewriting your book makes you look like your talent has run out so you just need to eek a little more money out of your heydays.

Apparently I gave the man too much credit.

How hard is it to keep your characters straight? So what if Roland's matter of speech changes? Maybe it's character development. Maybe it's just life. Maybe it's just a very insecure writer too lazy to actually read his own material before doing rewrites and just likes being careless like that. Being creative means that sometimes things don't come out like they should and not being able to go back and change a work just because an idea sounds neater now then it did then. When writing an introduction for Fahrenheit 451 (and at the same time, translating it into a play), Ray Bradbury found many interesting scenes that he wanted to put into the novel, ranging from Clarisse's final appearance in the novel to Faber's death to a very interesting monologue by the Fire Chief that gives a very interesting motive to his actions. But he didn't put them in. The novel stood. Changing it would mean that Bradbury could take a very fine piece of work and subject it to hindsight and ruin what effect it had. He added those things to the play and let the novel stand.

King should have had more restraint. Just because he pulls down millions for his fantasies on paper does not mean he lives above that law. And now, I won't even bother with getting the Dark Tower. For all I know, it might have a different ending in a few years. I'm better off spending my money and time writing the fucking thing.