Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Mocker

Helm is probably a spambot
Old Jul 6th, 2003, 10:44 AM        Weapons of Mass Destruction
I've been thinking. The US have them and have shown they have no qualms about using them. Isn't this as much a geopolitical transgression as N.Corea or Iraq having them? I especially would like you americans on the boards to tell me what you think about this apparent double standard. Is there at least some attempt, no matter blatant, made towards justifing this, or what?
Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Jul 6th, 2003, 10:52 AM       
This is where the whole 'Rouge state' thing comes into play.

It is okay for the US to have WMDs, it is okay for the UK, China, Russia, France, India, Pakista adn many more to have them, but 'Rouge sates' would threaten the world if they got hold of them.

It is not double satndards because WMD are apparantly not a problem, it is 'rouge states' that are a problem. Or, more accuratley, the problem is defining who exactly is a rougue sate.
Mocker

Old Jul 6th, 2003, 10:59 AM       
So umm... ah... you label anything you want to bomb as a Rogue State (Rouge is french for red, I'm not sure you meant that) and everybody is all "go get 'em big boy!".

So that answers my question about a blatant attempt for justification.

New question: What percentage of americans actually buy this?
ranxer is probably a spambot
Old Jul 6th, 2003, 11:07 AM       
with the bush clique in power Amerikka is the premiere rogue state.. not justifying anything, not talking about disarmament at all, unless it involves disarming the folks that the greedy capitalist fascists want to steal from.

the folks that try to justify the us wmd's without talking about unilateral disarmament are at least in part racist, zenophobic, capitilalist and fascist leaning.. (dog eat dog)
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Jul 6th, 2003, 11:10 AM       
The number of countries that have or had WMD is far greater. Just look at how the U.S. was quietly handing out nukes to all its allies during the Cold War.

Canada had dozens of them, and our job was to play nice with both sides, but make sure that the USSR was dead should both sides decide to annihilate each other. We were supposed to fly around and drop our bombs if the U.S. wasn't able to retaliate on its own.
Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Jul 6th, 2003, 11:17 AM       
Quote:
(Rouge is french for red, I'm not sure you meant that)
Whoops! I didn't mean that, but now that I think of it "red states" would be bombed as well.

Zero Signal is probably a spambot
Old Jul 6th, 2003, 11:38 AM       
Israel has violated more UN resolutions than any other country, and they have WMDs.

<rhetorical question>Why are we not invading them?</rq>
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Jul 6th, 2003, 11:41 AM       
Quote:
The US have them and have shown they have no qualms about using them.
Ya, because we drop them every chance we get. Did you see that nuetron bomb that went off in Afghanistan?

What about that mushroom cloud in Iraq?

No? You didn't see those? Hmmmmmm

Quote:
So umm... ah... you label anything you want to bomb as a Rogue State (Rouge is french for red, I'm not sure you meant that) and everybody is all "go get 'em big boy!".

So that answers my question about a blatant attempt for justification.

New question: What percentage of americans actually buy this?
So, any statement that explains this, you just dismiss like that?

VinceZeb is probably a spambot
Old Jul 6th, 2003, 01:30 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranxer
with the bush clique in power Amerikka is the premiere rogue state.. not justifying anything, not talking about disarmament at all, unless it involves disarming the folks that the greedy capitalist fascists want to steal from.

the folks that try to justify the us wmd's without talking about unilateral disarmament are at least in part racist, zenophobic, capitilalist and fascist leaning.. (dog eat dog)
YES! Ranxer comes through again!

*revs up his guitar, plays a funk metal riff*

"Yeah, rouge state perpatratin' crimes
Amerikka doing it on our dimes.
Greedy capitalist make us march under the golden arches of oppression,
'Have you had your sweatshop wares today?'"

"Facists dictators controlling our minds,
we just sit back and think its fine.
Disarment never put on the table,
we just slaughter them like cain killed abel."

Rock out, ranxer. Rock the fuck out
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Jul 6th, 2003, 09:59 PM       
"Israel has violated more UN resolutions than any other country, and they have WMDs"
Because they are friends with america and stuff
Rogue countries is pretty much anybody the "Allied Forces" do not like.
Mocker
The_Rorschach is probably a spambot
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 02:28 AM       
"The US have them and have shown they have no qualms about using them."

I sometimes wonder at the validity of European news when such notions as this are believed by capable men such as yourself, whom should know better.

Firstly, we developed the first Weapons of Mass Destruction. As the proprietary agents, both in manufactoring and use, we understand more than any other nation exactly what comes about as a result of such warefare tactics. We have never used fissionable materials since the Second World War in combat, and relegated such to testing only. Notice the shfit in our military away from high yield weaponry of the past, towards 'smart' precise ballistics. We're not there yet, but we're trying, and therefore we are showing 'qualms.' The American aim is to end wars quickly, with as few lives lost as possible.

Now, if I understand you correctly, you dislike the idea of any country possessing the cababilities to inflict such wide scale devastation, and cite that the US possesses those means and thus we should not condemn any other nation for likewise witholding such abilities. This is a ludicrous statement as, but our very refusal to use such munitions, we have illustrated our propensity to act responsibly. Other nations, such as Israel, Pakistan, India and, of course the ever popular No Korea, have threatened nuclear retaliation in the past. . .I believe in doing so, they have shown themselves singularly unfit to wield nuclear wareheads.
Mocker

Old Jul 7th, 2003, 08:20 AM       
Okay let's take this from the top. You are making a distinction between weapons of mass destruction (nuclear warheads and anything with a 'significant' (ugh) blast radius ) over 'smart' munitions that can maximise efficiency and minimise error, right?

As far I can understand this, any OFFENSIVE military system that has been designed towards aquiring targets outside the radius of the owner's country in question differs from WMD's only in the amount of damage it's designed to inflict. I'm not saying it's a negligible difference, but it doesn't negate the argument. If you have a bomb that can fly from D.C. to Afghanistan, I don't care how many people it will take out, it's still just the same as N.Korea having same weapons. Doesn't give you the right to 'step in' no more than it gives N.Korea the right to do the same.

So, and correct me if I'm wrong, you're saying (to negate my original 'qualm' argument) that 'smart' weapons, yeah, you have no qualms about using, whereas we've yet to emply WMDs in a post WW2 combat situation. And that makes you responsible fellows.

I'm not arguing the validity of that claim (although I could and I should, since there's room for further clarification. How does a nepleted uranium bomb exactly, which will leave the ground it hit contaminated for thousands of years and will be to blame for tens of teratogeneses to follow, not count as a 'weapon of mass destruction'?) however, I think your retort in itself is complete bulshit.

Quote:
This is a ludicrous statement as, but our very refusal to use such munitions, we have illustrated our propensity to act responsibly.

Is there a responsible use for an offensive weapon system? Is it when the other fellow is 'evil'? Especially in a "strike first scenario (of the likes we've witnessed in oh, three US wars in the last 8 years? ) Furthermore, is your apparent eagerness to use 'smart' weapons proof of your propensity to not act responsibly? Does the "number of lives lost per bomb" ratio in an arbitary, unjust and frankly imperialistic war even make an actual difference as far as ethics go? There's no argument there.

Quote:
Other nations, such as Israel, Pakistan, India and, of course the ever popular No Korea, have threatened nuclear retaliation in the past. . .I believe in doing so, they have shown themselves singularly unfit to wield nuclear wareheads.
The only country that insofar has not threatened, but actualy used nuclear weapons in a war is the US. And I believe that speaks volumes about who is most unfit to wield nuclear weaponry. You set yourself up for that one. I can't believe you tried to turn that around and claim some silly "we've done it... so we know what horror it can create. It's a dirty job, but someone's gotta do it!" fairytale.

And let's not talk about the cold war and how many times the US has threatened nuclear retaliation. Not a valid argument in itself either, that one.

So, bottom line: I do not see any ethical distinction between a dep. uranium smart bomb and a nuclear warhead, and even if there was such, any country's eagerness to resort to using the latter does not in any case make it 'okay' for them to have them. This is an issue of global interest conflicts, and we both know no country should have to 'trust' the US with being the one to arrange who and why should have nuclear bombs.
Mocker
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 03:52 PM       
Quote:
The only country that insofar has not threatened, but actualy used nuclear weapons in a war is the US.
What the hell are you talking about? We warned Japan, a country we were at open war with, that we would use it.

And what were these wars we used "first strike"? The latest Iraq war is the only one I can think of.
The_voice_of_reason is probably a spambot
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 04:06 PM        Re: Weapons of Mass Destruction
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helm
Is there at least some attempt, no matter blatant, made towards justifing this, or what?

It's because we're the police of the world.

GAsux is probably a spambot
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 04:44 PM        Helm
Maybe you could ask Ranxer to help you out with the whole depleted uranium argument. I bet for every substantive qualification you can find that states that each DU round pollutes the earth for eons, I can find some that refute it. That's not to say you are right or wrong, only that you can't concretely prove it either way. I think it would be safe to say that the jury is still out on the DU matter.

I'm willing to concede to your point that even the use of "smart" bombs in a military conflict of questionable justification is unethical. Would you be willing to concede that the United States has gone to great lengths to develop munitions that acheive military objectives as relatively painlessly as possible? You could certainly say that 1 death is too many. I would say that 3,000 dead in a conflict involving heavy urban fighting is miraculous. It's a matter of prospectives I suppose.
Mocker
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 04:58 PM       
I think you've spent too much time meditating on philosophical matters and lost a tenative touch on reality friend.

"Okay let's take this from the top. You are making a distinction between weapons of mass destruction (nuclear warheads and anything with a 'significant' (ugh) blast radius ) over 'smart' munitions that can maximise efficiency and minimise error, right?"

I suggest you learn the definitions of the words you use. The most widely used definition of "weapons of mass destruction" in official U.S. documents is "nuclear, chemical, and biological weapons."

The U.S. president has used this definition in communications with Congress, and if you care to look them up, start here:

"Letter to Congressional Leaders Reporting on Proliferation of Weapons of Mass Destruction," November 9, 2000, Weekly Compilation of Presidential Documents, pp. 2842-2851.

"Statement on Domestic Preparedness Against Weapons of Mass Destruction," May 8, 2001, Weekly Compilation of Presidential Documents, pp. 718-719.

"As far I can understand this, any OFFENSIVE military system that has been designed towards aquiring targets outside the radius of the owner's country in question differs from WMD's only in the amount of damage it's designed to inflict."

What we have here is a failure. . .To communicate.

"I'm not saying it's a negligible difference, but it doesn't negate the argument."

I'm afraid it does.

"If you have a bomb that can fly from D.C. to Afghanistan, I don't care how many people it will take out, it's still just the same as N.Korea having same weapons."

It isn't about possession, its about use. Do you remember when the Soviet Union disintigrated, how there was a brief panic over what would happen to the fissionable materials and constructed warheads? Such lack of stabilities is also present in No Korea, where there are more metric tons of munition than there are food, and various other nations which have rushed to become militarily combatible with the world around them without first making their own nation a peer to its neighbours.

"Doesn't give you the right to 'step in' no more than it gives N.Korea the right to do the same."

Someone needs to do it. We lead the world technologically, economically and, contrary to what you've probably heard, in civility.

"So, and correct me if I'm wrong, you're saying (to negate my original 'qualm' argument) that 'smart' weapons, yeah, you have no qualms about using, whereas we've yet to emply WMDs in a post WW2 combat situation."

We stand beside the conventional arms agreement which was reached in the Geneva Accord, and the nuclear proliferation act, which we spearheaded. Indeed, western countries such as the US, Australia and Great Britain are unique in this.

"I'm not arguing the validity of that claim (although I could and I should, since there's room for further clarification."

Oh, by all means do.

"How does a nepleted uranium bomb exactly, which will leave the ground it hit contaminated for thousands of years and will be to blame for tens of teratogeneses to follow, not count as a 'weapon of mass destruction'?) however, I think your retort in itself is complete bulshit."

Yes well, thats what happens when the mind is forced to come to terms with something it would rather not accept: Disbelief.

I'm going to take the time to explain to you why it is that DU rounds have been used in every war since Yom Kippur that any country has engaged in. In fact, Israel has used more DU than any other nation, but that is neither here nor there: DU turns out to be a highly effective armor-piercing material as it is 2 times as dense as lead and possesses a singularly unusual property of self-sharpening: as a rod of this material slams into a sheet of steel or a wall of reinforced concrete, instead of mushrooming into a flat, broad projectile that then is slowed or stopped by the obstacle, uranium sheds its exterior layers and becomes sharper as it is propelled by momentum deeper and deeper into its target. Uranium is also highly flammable at the kinds of high temperature generated by a high-velocity collision, and so it incinerates whatever target it hits. . .As well as itself.

The DU smart bomb we utilized hits with such tremendous force that it buries itself deeply into the ground. It is more a threat to natural water aquifiers than it is to surface dwelling humans. Is it dangerous? Yes. Did we use it in and about urban environments? Yes. What choice was left to us? As a rule, the US places its bunkers and offensive military commands outside of cities, and generally as far from civilian populations as permissible. We don't hide our tanks and anti-aircraft armourments behind a wall of innocent lives, Sadaam did, and unfortunately his people will pay for his actions.

Now, lets take a gander at some relevent facts: Back in '99 in Kosovo such rounds were used in combat, with the sanction of the UN. On 7 February 2000 NATO published their use of some 31K 30mm PGU/14A API rounds. About 16,000 lbs of DU. Israel used it in the Yom Kippur retaliation, the Falklands war and their invasion of South Lebanon. We used less than 2k lbs in this Iraqi war, if you wish to cry over it, I suggest you find someone with more sympathy.

"Is there a responsible use for an offensive weapon system?"

Is there a such thing a just war? The answer for both questions is the same, but then maybe you're particularly fond of that period in your nations history when Hitler held occupation.

"Is it when the other fellow is 'evil'?"

Evil is generally accepted as a moral judgement, and relative to one's belief system. You will have to use clearer terms if you wish to keep the tone of this conversation serious.

"Especially in a "strike first scenario (of the likes we've witnessed in oh, three US wars in the last 8 years? )"

So shall we consider our embassy bombings in Afghanistan prior to war silly teenage 'pranks?' Or the support of Al Qaeda by the Taliban just whimiscal Middle Easten nuttiness? Liberia isn't a war yet, or are you thinking of something else and I'm just not getting it?

"Furthermore, is your apparent eagerness to use 'smart' weapons proof of your propensity to not act responsibly?"

Yes! We were so eager to use them we invaded Mexico immediately after we developed them! You should have been there Helm, you especially would've enjoyed it.

"Does the "number of lives lost per bomb" ratio in an arbitary, unjust and frankly imperialistic war even make an actual difference as far as ethics go?"

Christ, I can understand not knowing how a WMD was classified, but imperialism? We are not annexing Iraq, where is the imperialism here?

"There's no argument there."

Quite right, I haven't found one yet, just some whiny mewling with half assed facts tossed in for colour.

"The only country that insofar has not threatened, but actualy used nuclear weapons in a war is the US."

As Blanco duly noted, you must know more than either of us. I only know of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. . .Did we deploy nukes in the Mexican War where we eagerly tested our smart bombs?

"And I believe that speaks volumes about who is most unfit to wield nuclear weaponry."

Sure, but such volumes would only be found in a childrens library. But, if you're lucky, you can influence the next generation and then they can grow up kow towing to Holier-Than-Thou Intellectual European moralists like yourself.

"And let's not talk about the cold war and how many times the US has threatened nuclear retaliation. Not a valid argument in itself either, that one."

All I can do is hang my head really. Apparantly you missed where we constantly tried to get Russia to disarm, often taking the first step by destroying our nuclear wareheads as an act of good faith. Apparantly you have also missed the nuclear proliferation pact. Furthermore, it has escaped your notive WE NEVER THREATENED TO US THEM. We had no need to, we built them, built the silos, and said that only in the case of a PRE-EMPTIVE NUCLEAR STRIKE AGAINST OUR NATION would they be utilized. Thats not a threat Helm, and if you can't see the difference between Pakistan saying they use nuclear devices in a war against India if India does not abandon Kasmir, or No Korea feeling econimically or militarily 'threatened' by the US. . .There is no hope for you.

"So, bottom line: I do not see any ethical distinction between a dep. uranium smart bomb and a nuclear warhead, and even if there was such, any country's eagerness to resort to using the latter does not in any case make it 'okay' for them to have them."

Noone is eager for war, not even Bush. He's eager for another election, and tried to surf the post September 11th popularity with a strike from Afghanistan into Iraq, and now he is trying to clean it up with a peace action in Liberia to dissipate the negative blacklash left after Iraq. You are judging an entire nation based upon a series of bad leadership, since about the late eighties, and I think thats pretty simple.

"This is an issue of global interest conflicts, and we both know no country should have to 'trust' the US with being the one to arrange who and why should have nuclear bombs."

Of course, noone should trust the nation responsible for the Marshall Plan, or protecting countries like China (which we until Eisenhower in his infinate wisdom move the Seventh Fleet, like an asshole), Korea and Vietnam from insurgant and subversive forces. I'm done with this topic.
Mocker
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 05:03 PM       
Do I have to go on my DU rant again? Do I?

Do I have to point out that there is no documented evidence of any connection between DU and cancer?

Do I have to point out that the only thing there is a bunch of speculation?

Do I have to point out that there is no explosion in cancer rates in any of the US bases that thousands of rounds of DU daily for training?

Do I have to link to the FAS articles that state that no reputable scientist or physician has found any evidence of a connection?

Do I have to go shave my head again so I don't pull my hair out explaining this for the thousanth time?
Mocker
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 05:09 PM       
Yeah but Blanco, if we want to play straight, we have to put our hands down on the table too. We found out twenty years after Vietnam that Agent Orange led to developemental Luekemia. While it is yet unfounded, it is not unreasonable to expect that DU is potentially cancerous. One kilogram of ‘natural uranium’ is obtained from 1000 kg of uranium ore. Only half of this one kilogram is actually released for use in DU munitions. The remaining 999.5 kg is considered as radioactive waste.

We all know how healthy radioative waste is, and even though DU is self incineratory, there is a chance that it is everybit as caustic as the circumstantial evidence posits.

But I supposed that despite the fact Sadaam is responsible for gassing entire towns of Kurds in his biological weapon research program, the US is the bad guy for lightly using a possibly cancerous weapon in order to remove him from power. Talk about moral relativism. . .

FS is probably a spambot
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 05:17 PM       
I'd say that uncertainty is reason enough not to use depleted uranium as a weapon.

Also, using a 'possibly cancerous weapon' was not imperative to remove Saddam from power.
Mocker
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 05:19 PM       
The other thing that gets me is that people look at the increase in cancer rate and automatically assume it is from DU.

Of course, the people making these accusations aren't scientists.
ranxer is probably a spambot
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 06:23 PM       

excellent book:
http://members.aol.com/superogue/homepage.htm

DU IS a weapon of mass destruction (effects lasting generations) and all the evidence to prove it must be quashed as quickly as possible or the US govt will be held accountable in some fashion (lawsuits by american soldiers families at very least) we dropped aprox 315 tons of DU on kuwait and Iraq in gulf war I .. i havnt heard a number for afghanistan but now the number for gulf war II is 1000 to 2000 tons of DU used. time will tell what effect that has. During gulf war one Doug Rokke and his team of doctors were releasing information about DU that the bush administration (some years later) claimed was Saddams propaganda! so now we have a huge racist and patriotic bias to use upon anyone that talks about cancer rates or deformities in Iraq. if one speaks up about it we are often called commies or anti-american.. why is it that soldiers that speak up about it are discharged and thier records 'lost' so they can't get benefits such as healthcare coverage??? one thing that really bothers me is the corporate profit on something like DU.. many of these flag wavers i run into agree with me that corporations are doing a lot of damage but when the du issue comes up they're like 'oh no, our government would Never do that" as if our government wasnt riddled with corporate crimminals making a buck on everything they can.

wouldnt targetting water reclamation and basic civilian infrastructure somehow qualify as wmd tactics? i think the definition based on the number of people killed directly or indirectly should define the term WMD but that would point at the US too much so its quashed.. like the siege mentality of the iraq sanctions, it targets a whole people not specifically a military and was outlawed by non-terrorist nations a while ago(siege warfare that is).

and about 'smart' bombs, as we found out after gwI the success ratio was much much less than they had hoped.. they claimed 90% or so just after the war but the numbers kept dropping after investigation. i wonder what the results were this time around.

oh and thanks for the lyrics vince, i do wish i was more than amature at the guitar
Mocker
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 06:35 PM       
So, you want to change the defenition to fit your purpose. OK, that crosses the line from ironic to hypocrite.

You have nothing. Zip. Nada. That link proves nothing and why exactly is he an authority on the subject?
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 07:06 PM       
"I'd say that uncertainty is reason enough not to use depleted uranium as a weapon"

:-\ Should everybody stop going outside into the sun then? We put our troops in danger of skin cancer everyday!
Or maybe we should've just rushed in and killed as many people as possible, right. I mean, at least they don't get cancer. I do see the point though, WMD's are bad.

As for the, "US made the bomb and dropped the bomb", bit...
I *think* the English made the gun. They are responsible for millions of deaths. MILLIONS. Probably more than millions. Swords? Blame the Greeks or Ancient Egypt or something. RESPONSIBLE FOR MILLIONS AND MILLIONS. They did it first so it's their fault the rest of the World did it too. It also gave the rest of the World the right to use them. All in equality.
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Sethomas is probably a spambot
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 07:21 PM       
The Japanese invented the gun, silly, though I think that gunpowder was first made by the Chinese.

As far as DU goes, it should be pretty obvious that it's extremely lethal and there's no excuse for using it in combat. Use common sense, people. For one thing, the cancer issue is only the tip of the iceberg. Uranium is one of the most dense of the naturally occurring heavy metals, which means it has properties that are particularly nasty on living things. Just for reference, the lightest naturally occuring Uranium (which I would assume comprises DU bullets) is 238 atomic units; mercury is only 200. (If you wonder why gold is 196 AU and drinking Goldschlager never seems to cause any problems, I believe the narcissism in gold that results in its high ductility and maleability prevents adverse effects from its atoms.) Heavy metals have a strong effect on the body's delicate electric impulses, thus resulting in severe neurological defects. Eat leaded paint chips and you'll probably develop an anxiety disorder, play with too much mercury and you'll probably get palsy for months or years, come into contact with uranium or plutonium and you're looking at severe motor skills damage that may degenerate into paralysis or death.

I think it's a fair assumption that the self-adhesive properties that result in the "self-sharpening" phenomenon described by Rorschach would cause minimize the amount of uranium that would enter the bloodstream from the pores of our soldiers who would presumably handle the bullets while loading their rifles. If not, it might be years before problems make themselves evident. But the problem we're looking at now is that there is a thousand tons or more of the stuff introduced into the Iraqi ecosystem. This isn't a problem that's likely to surface any time soon, but when it does it's going to hit hard. Bullets that found there way on the ground or in the soil will get rained on and will shed loose atoms into the water. The water, even if it's not drank, will end up in crops, or like mercury will run off into the ocean wherein it will difuse into fish tissue and thus be eaten later. I can't tell you exactly how lethal depleted uranium would be, but to give you a ballpark idea I believe that a spoonful of plutonium (AU: 244) dumped into a water supply could potentially kill an estimated 2 million people.

As far as radiation goes, it really seems like uranium would lose its desired properties once it decays below an atomic weight of 238. According to my periodic table, all elements with an atomic mass of 208 or more have lethal radioactive properties at their ground state. It'd be absolutely rediculous to purport that DU can be stable with 30 neutrons fewer than its ground state, so I'd be pretty incredulous to claims that DU bullets pose absolutely no threat as a carcinogen.

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT
BANNED

Old Jul 7th, 2003, 07:35 PM       
Well then, looks like it's all equated in the end. Japanese made the gun, we dropped the bomb. It's the Karma, baby.