Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old May 27th, 2004, 11:48 AM        Rumsfeld bans cameraphones, digital cameras
This story is starting to show up inforeign and progressive press, but I've yet to find any major press corroboration. Anyone know anything about this?

Rumsfeld bans camera phones
From correspondents in London
May 23, 2004

MOBILE phones fitted with digital cameras have been banned in US army installations in Iraq on orders from Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, The Business newspaper reported today.

Quoting a Pentagon source, the paper said the US Defence Department believes that some of the damning photos of US soldiers abusing Iraqis at Abu Ghraib prison near Baghdad were taken with camera phones.

"Digital cameras, camcorders and cellphones with cameras have been prohibited in military compounds in Iraq," it said, adding that a "total ban throughout the US military" is in the works.

Disturbing new photos of Iraqi prisoner abuse, which the US government had reportedly tried to keep hidden, were published on Friday in the Washington Post newspaper.

The photos emerged along with details of testimony from inmates at Abu Ghraib who said they were sexually molested by female soldiers, beaten, sodomised and forced to eat food from toilets.

Location: one shot, right between the eyes, just for old times sake
Bennett is probably a spambot
Old May 27th, 2004, 02:33 PM       
imo, This is pretty abhorrent if true.
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old May 27th, 2004, 06:06 PM       
But conventional film cameras are still allowed?
mesobe is probably a spambot
Old May 27th, 2004, 06:58 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggytrix
But conventional film cameras are still allowed?
of course. You dont want to sound like your trying to cover up more future crimes against humanity too, too much. You might as well ban easy-speading image producing machines like digital technology and allow film cameras since film cameras are harder to transport, easier to destroy (light + spent film = wrecked prints) and more difficult to spread on the internet.
Ronnie Raygun is probably a spambot
Old May 27th, 2004, 07:14 PM       
I know I can't go around taking pictures when I'm supposed to be working.....how about you guys?

Drew Katsikas is probably a spambot
Old May 27th, 2004, 07:27 PM       
Nope. But I'm allowed to bring my cellphone. You suck at arguing.

What would stoping cameras solve? Now the terrible acts these people commit on Iraqis can't be documented? Seriously. Cameras aren't the problem, and to ban them just makes this seem like he's trying to stop public knowledge rather than the problem at hand.
Ronnie Raygun is probably a spambot
Old May 27th, 2004, 07:31 PM       
How much of a moron would you have to be to take pics of abuses YOU are commiting?.....especially after what just happened in Iraq.

Did you ever consider that the people taking these pics were also involved in criminal acts?

Old May 27th, 2004, 07:33 PM       
Yes, I did. They won't stop committing the acts just because they can't take pictures.

Location: one shot, right between the eyes, just for old times sake
Bennett is probably a spambot
Old May 27th, 2004, 08:08 PM       
we just won't know about it. which, of course, makes everything better.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old May 27th, 2004, 09:53 PM       
Ronnie is missing the point. This isn't meant to necessarily stop military personnel from walking around and snapping pictures, but to prevent NON-MILITARY personnel from taking the pictures.

Incidentally, it's obvious Ronnie doesn't even know what soldiers do while they're on tour. Most of them have little disposable cameras and are constantly taking dozens of pictures to bring home. You know, along with the jar full of dirt.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old May 28th, 2004, 10:35 AM       
Soldiers aren't on duty twenty four hours a day, and soldiers have always taken pictures to send home and to document what I imagine is a significant part of their lives.

Are you suggesting, naldo, that the REASON for the ban is because Rummy recently starting worrying that soldiers are slackers?

I'm not saying this is a dibolical act. I'm saying I think it's pathetic and transparent and it shows that what Rummy mosst objecte to about the abuse and torture was pictures, because pictures cn leak out. If you seriously, honestly think there's some other reason for the ban, be my guest and post it. Or is this the point at which you abandon this thread?

Old May 28th, 2004, 04:47 PM       
Affirmative.
Old May 29th, 2004, 02:02 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Raygun
I know I can't go around taking pictures when I'm supposed to be working.....how about you guys?
working? what does a gaurd do for a living? they stand around and watch stuff. It takes about 2 seconds to take a pic with a digi cam
Old May 29th, 2004, 02:03 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Raygun
How much of a moron would you have to be to take pics of abuses YOU are commiting?.....especially after what just happened in Iraq.

Did you ever consider that the people taking these pics were also involved in criminal acts?
yes! the government of the US!

Old May 29th, 2004, 11:01 PM       
SHUTUP