Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > General Blabber
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Banned

Pram Maven is probably Pram MavenPram Maven is probably Pram MavenPram Maven is probably Pram MavenPram Maven is probably Pram MavenPram Maven is probably Pram MavenPram Maven is probably Pram MavenPram Maven is probably Pram MavenPram Maven is probably Pram MavenPram Maven is probably Pram MavenPram Maven is probably Pram MavenPram Maven is probably Pram Maven
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 04:25 AM       
Well, it looked like he was hurting himself. All I did was suggest that he might not being doing it right out of concern for his back.

Anyway, i-mockery, Kahl. What have I done here but insult every time I saw an angle? I'm tiring of being a one-dimensional hate rake, though. There's plenty of good stuff here. The video game threads take me back since a lot of us are around the same age, and there are many talented people posting in the Art Shit. I'd rather find something in common with other posters than fight all the time.
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 05:19 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pram Maven View Post
Eat four small meals, two to three hours apart instead of one big one. That will train your metabolic cycle to burn food regularly instead of trying to attack a huge amount in a short time, which overwhelms it.
I'm glad someone brought this up because it's a common misconception. Would humanity have ever survived if we got 'overwhelmed' from a large meal when the typical eating patterns of our ancestors involved periods of feast and famine? Different macronutrients "burn" at different rates, with proteins taking hours upon hours to digest. This also debunks the conception that your body can only "handle" a certain amount of protein in one meal.

Source: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/res...html#more-1389

Also, the video of me deadlifting is not meant to be taken seriously and it certainly isn't meant to be taken as a primer on DL form. That said, it's pretty much impossible to tell from a frontal angle whether someone's deadlifting incorrectly.
Legislacerator
ItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty ok
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 05:44 AM       
okay everybody, ignore the entire rest of the thread and take granny walks at the mall with pram maven. you will not be fat internet virgins anymore after that.
Banned

Pram Maven is probably Pram MavenPram Maven is probably Pram MavenPram Maven is probably Pram MavenPram Maven is probably Pram MavenPram Maven is probably Pram MavenPram Maven is probably Pram MavenPram Maven is probably Pram MavenPram Maven is probably Pram MavenPram Maven is probably Pram MavenPram Maven is probably Pram MavenPram Maven is probably Pram Maven
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 07:05 AM       
Chojin makes some good points about metabolism and deadlifting. I didn't see him bending his knees in the video, but if he was being serious about it I'm sure he would have done it correctly.

As far as digestion goes, it's important to consider that prehistoric man did not consume cheese or milk. Our intestinal tracts were not designed for dairy at all. It's remarkable how much needs to be done to cow's milk in order to make it palatable to humans.

I tried to make that point earlier, but was banned for... circumventing Kahljorn's ban...somehow.
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 07:07 AM       
uh, prehistoric man most definitely did consume milk. how do you think infants were fed?

i wasn't recommending some retarded paleo diet, i was just appealing to common sense based on our ancestry--if humans experienced negative athletic performance or "energy issues" from fasting, we wouldn't be here today. this is also a central tenet of the intermittent fasting movement (leangains.com).
Banned

Old Jul 11th, 2011, 07:22 AM       
Hmmmm...Sorry, I should have clarified. Prehistoric humans did not suck on their mothers' teats to get milk beyond infancy.

As far as energy issues, I have yet to find a way to not crash shortly after eating. Also can't eat cereal with milk in it. That does the biggest number on my energy levels. Do you have any idea what is going on there? For some reason it just makes feel really...low. Hypoglycemia runs in the family, but I never thought milk affected blood sugar levels. The funny thing is, I used to eat sugar like there was no tomorrow and it had no effect. Sooner or later I'd just crash, but it didn't make me feel ill like this.
was never good
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 07:25 AM       
you're probably lactose intolerant

if it happens with other types of foods, try making starches and proteins a bigger % of your diet, as those macros are metabolized more slowly. if you're still having issues, try cutting out carbs completely and see how you feel. also cut out caffeine if you haven't already.
WHAT'S THIS?!
Pentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contest
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 07:27 AM       
Quote:
As far as energy issues, I have yet to find a way to not crash shortly after eating. Also can't eat cereal with milk in it. That does the biggest number on my energy levels.
Could you be lactose intolerant in a minor way? I have heard stories of people who had a mild version of lactose intolerance where they either have mild stomach issues or lethargy after consuming dairy products. The good news is that if this is the case there are different medications that can combat it

EDIT: NInja'd by Chojin and a lack of brevity on my part
Banned

Old Jul 11th, 2011, 07:45 AM       
Haha, both replies are useful, thanks.

I don't know if I'm mildly anything, Pent. Is that even possible? According to credible sources (I-mockery), I'm such an extreme racist, sexist, child-molesting pig that mild lactose intolerance doesn't really fit my M.O.
Extreme lactose intolerance, on the other hand... That would work. I need to throw up more often, thrash around, and change colors. Medications, I'm not too thrilled about. The last two times I needed anything like that was for pneumonia last Winter (cranberry juice somehow found its way into my lungs) and Abilify last Spring for anxiety. Didn't take it with anything but I still didn't like it...The main cause of the anxiety in the first place was excessive caffeine, which I cut back on and that did wonders except for withdrawl headaches.

Chojin- I know what calories are, but carbohydrates are not something I've ever fully understood. Does that have anything to do with starch? I know sugar and starch are related, that's why I ask. Protein, I think, I've got covered with meat and eggs. Despite eating small meals, it's been largely microwaveable pizzas and burritos. I may be skinny, but that does not necessarily mean I eat right. Something to work on, but healthy food is so expensive.
The Glum Cunt
k0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contest
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 08:07 AM       
Since I'm working out of the house most of the time I don't get a lot of sun causing me to have a vitamin D deficiency. Will that in any way fuck up my chances of getting stronger/losing some weight? I know it means I'll have less energy, but is vitamin D necessary for me other than that? I have started taking vitamin d supplements and trying to get more sun on my breaks.
was never good
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 08:56 AM       
Quote:
Chojin- I know what calories are, but carbohydrates are not something I've ever fully understood. Does that have anything to do with starch? I know sugar and starch are related, that's why I ask. Protein, I think, I've got covered with meat and eggs. Despite eating small meals, it's been largely microwaveable pizzas and burritos. I may be skinny, but that does not necessarily mean I eat right. Something to work on, but healthy food is so expensive.
Carbohydrates come in starch, sugar, and fiber. On a nutritional label, deduct fiber and sugar from the total carb amount and you have the amount of starch. Count your calories with a calorie tracker to find out what your daily ratios are. Most people don't get enough protein and get too much sugar.

Healthy food isn't expensive, you're just not used to buying and preparing it (you also probably have no concept of what makes a food "healthy", like most people; people seem to associate organics and expensive variations on produce with health, which isn't the case). I'll submit that it's inconvenient to eat lean, but it's even less convenient to have a variety of physical and mental disorders. You seem to have enough free time, so no excuses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0k0 View Post
Since I'm working out of the house most of the time I don't get a lot of sun causing me to have a vitamin D deficiency. Will that in any way fuck up my chances of getting stronger/losing some weight? I know it means I'll have less energy, but is vitamin D necessary for me other than that? I have started taking vitamin d supplements and trying to get more sun on my breaks.
Vitamin D supports mental health, helps to regulate blood pressure, and has a variety of other benefits. It's about $10 for an 8 month supply (link). It won't kill you to not take it, but it's a good idea to make it happen. Fish oil is more important than D, especially if your goal is fat loss. An effective dose of fish oil is about 5g total (ratio of EPA/DHA assumed normal), and an effective dose of D in the summer is 5,000 IU. These are both well above the recommended doses of both, but the "normal" amount borders on homeopathic dosages. Fish oil capsules generally contain 1g of oil each, so it's more convenient to supplement it in liquid form (link). Vitamin D you can get in small 5,000 IU capsules, as linked above.
Banned

Old Jul 11th, 2011, 09:26 AM       
Okay, okay. I'll dig out the diet recommendations the doctor gave me.

Here's something interesting... There is a fatty deposit in the underside my left wrist that has been there since 2002 (possibly a ganglion cyst). It's not hard, and it only shows when I flex it. If that resulted from having a poor diet, then I better eat better fast.

Another thing... I have iron-deficient anemia. I wonder if that's connected to my mood instability. I had no idea that was even related to Vitamin D (which is found in sunlight. Which I haven't gotten much of since I started working at night 9 years ago, when I started becoming aggressive and forgetful.

Could it be that... All of these things are connected and simply not getting enough sunlight on top of working at night is affecting me mentally and physically?
Legislacerator
ItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty ok
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 11:18 AM       
koko, a lack of vitamin D, as terezi1 said, affects mental health. I feel it's important to note that it can cause MAJOR depression. some are hypothesizing that many suicide cases can be attributed to depression caused by a lack of vitamin D and niacin. Aside from that, depression can affect fat loss as you may come to eat and eat and eat in order to feel good and never move around much.

pram, same thing for you. much of what you describe as your mental issues might come from a lack of essential nutrients. you may consider supplementation as a good way to start, but again, as terezi1 has said, you need to critically adjust your diet. immediate supplementation, however, may make you feel significantly better in the short term.
Banned

Old Jul 11th, 2011, 12:08 PM       
Thanks, ItalianStereotype.

I don't know where it comes from, I just know that it's always been the worst when I was sitting at a computer. I also don't take enough breaks and have to close one eye because it goes out of focus after a few hours. Thinking about getting an eye patch for when that happens.
Egg
Dixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's army
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 10:49 PM       
Chojin, I like this thread. Thank you for making it. i think the convict type workout will work best for me considering the confined space i'm in at the moment. I shall give it a try!
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 03:18 AM       
Can I help oil you up?
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 10:42 AM       
She needs help with the belt first.

Egg
Dixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's army
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 12:28 PM       
do you guys hear a buzzing sound?
anyways, soon-to-be-mr.dixie oils me up with coconut oil after showers.
the ben wa balls are a good warm up.
Egg
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 12:30 PM       
for serious though, i don't even have space for my bellydancing in here.
teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 11:23 PM       
Chojin, I found a healthy dish with your name all over it.
was never good
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 06:20 AM       
Egg
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 11:59 AM       
that really does look awesome
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Guitar Woman is probably a real personGuitar Woman is probably a real person
Old Jul 18th, 2011, 10:38 PM       
Kay, I went to the gym today and did that shit I said I was going to do. Now I have a question.

Should I be alternating exercises between sets (i.e. after doing one set of presses, I move on to squats, then chin-ups, then push-ups, then rest and go back to the beginning) or is it better to tackle all 3 sets of one before doing something else? This is probably a retarded question.

I had to fumble around a bit before I found the right weights, but I think 40 pounds for bench presses and 60 for squats worked all right. I did an extra set of both of them to compensate for the ones I did with less weight.

NEW BRO PLAN:
Spoilers!

I've done all of these except deadlifts and rows, I think they're all right. I want a fourth exercise to do on Saturday, but I can't think of one if crunches/sit-ups are for fags.

Last edited by Guitar Woman : Jul 19th, 2011 at 12:04 AM.
Legislacerator
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 02:10 PM       
You could probably drop those kneeling pushups. I'm not overly fond of the split you chose, how comfortable are you with your routine?

I tend to do all three sets before moving on to the next exercise. I finish one set, thirty second rest, next set, thirty second rest, final set. There's no such thing as a retarded question unless you yourself are retarded.

Have you made any changes to your diet?
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Guitar Woman is probably a real personGuitar Woman is probably a real person
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 02:36 PM       
Pretty comfortable. What really kills me is the running since my lungs are still full of tumors and shit, but it'll probably get better the more I do it. When everything else starts getting easier I'm thinking I'll just do all of my Monday/Wednesday exercises on the same day, and do that twice a week.

Quote:
Have you made any changes to your diet?
Not really, no

The reason I got flabby was because I ate McDonald's for lunch every day for two months, then woke up one day and was like "holy shit I got fucking fat." I don't do that anymore, but I could probably stand to eat fewer chips. My favorite snack food at the moment is almonds, which apparently have a shitload of fat in them, but they're the only source of fiber I can find that won't solidify into unpassable chunks of lead in my intestines. They're not going anywhere.