Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Legislacerator
ItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty ok
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 02:19 AM       
yes, it is eventually explained about three quarters of the way through the game. M. Night Shyamalan amirite?

also, keep in mind that this place is in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean and it's like 1956 or something. it makes just as much sense to go into a creepy building and randomly taking some elevator as it would to crawl out of the ocean and probably freeze to death waiting for rescuers to eventually come.
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 02:30 AM       
It just seems like an awfully contrived mechanism to kick-start the game. Suspending disbelief for a moment to think that the main entry point into Rapture - a major metropolitan city - would be out in the middle of fucking nowhere, HIDDEN AWAY in a creepy haunted house, there is absolutely no reason presented to me why I should care about anything at all that's going on.

Since this is theoretically a story-driven FPS, you'll have to EXCUSE ME for using comparisons to Marathon.

In marathon, you know the following at the beginning: You are a security officer, you were sent from mars to check in with a problem on the Marathon, things are fucked up, the ship tells you that as a security officer you need to fix the problem.

In bioshock, you know the following at the beginning: You are a man filled with GREAT PROMISE.

I guess my biggest problem with bioshock is that everything really only seems to matter in terms of your next task. Why do you go down the elevator? No reason; it's the only place to go. Why do you pick up the radio? No reason; you can't leave until you do. Why are you following this guy's orders? No reason; it's the only way to proceed. Why should you care? No reason. Why doesn't Ryan kill YOU with one of his thousands of traps that he kills all his subordinates with? No reason; you're lucky, I guess?

Let me put it another way: In marathon, when you don't know something, it's usually either because it doesn't pertain to anything going on (but you can figure it out if you're interested - you being a cyborg, history of AI rampancy, etc.) OR because someone specifically doesn't want you to know it. In Bioshock, when you don't know something, it's because the CHARACTER YOU ARE PLAYING AS just isn't sharing that information with you, and there's no way to figure out what it is YOU ARE THINKING until you can piece it together near the end of the game.

Since I haven't played through Bioshock, I can only assume that the reason for this is that you find out you're really some asshole in league with Ryan or some other evil syndicate, and that's why they couldn't tell you earlier so that you can be all GASP WHAT HAVE I DONE, but really now. Giving NO reason for you being there until then just leaves me disinterested.
Legislacerator
ItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty ok
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 02:38 AM       
a lot of it is tied into the plot, actually, though I can understand why that wouldn't be a reasonable answer.

granted, Bioshock doesn't give you a lot of story at the very beginning, unless of course you idle at the start screen, but it fits the situation that your character is in. why would some random bum on a plane have any knowledge of a secret city built in the middle of the Atlantic? he wouldn't, but you start picking up the story within the first five minutes. games shouldn't necessarily pander to the kids who NEED instant gratification, no?
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 02:47 AM       
I've played for five hours and still don't have any clue as to the fundamental aspects of what's going on. I've learned TONS about the HISTORY and the CONFLICTS in Rapture, but am given absolutely 0% information as to why I'm here or why I should give a tin shit.

This isn't a case of me being a CHILD, UNABLE TO BE PATIENT AND LEARN THE INTRICACIES of a game that is the most glaring example of instant gratification I've seen in years (Seriously, you can't pretend that this game is above pandering to idiots to begin with. No penalties for death, you're told exactly where to go all of the time, no thought required to play) - If you can't give me a reason to care about the lovely world you've thrust me into, I'm just playing Quake all over again, and Quake had much better fundamental gameplay.

Also, Rapture is a secret city? Doesn't it have a population of like, thousands?
was never good
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 02:52 AM       
While we're on the subject, Halo is a good example of a game that both panders to idiots and actually explains at least the base question of WHY you're doing what you're doing. Bioshock isn't TOO DEEP for that, though it became obvious that the secret was BURIED TOO DEEP for me to continue caring about it.
Legislacerator
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 03:05 AM       
I'm certainly not calling you a child! no no, not at all. I'm also not saying that Bioshock is some deeply complex game that will set the standard for the next generation of games. I would've done better to rent Bioshock, actually. I find the story engrossing, the ambience, music, and mood enthralling. I also loved the steampunk and art deco aspects of the game. The game was, however, too short and not nearly challenging enough to warrant a purchase.

anyway, play it or don't. I thought it was an awesome game, just maybe not worth buying.
Slim Goodbody
Supafly345 is probably a real personSupafly345 is probably a real person
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 06:45 AM       
I really really miss this game.
DON'T F WITH ME
HickMan is probably pretty okHickMan is probably pretty okHickMan is probably pretty okHickMan is probably pretty okHickMan is probably pretty ok
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 07:11 AM       
Just keep playin'. It's explained!
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Guitar Woman is probably a real personGuitar Woman is probably a real person
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 12:45 AM       
Chojin, I think you're being a bit of a chump about this.

Sure, it's a story-driven FPS, but the key phrase here is "FPS," and that type of game is about shooting things. Shooting things with GUNS, and in this case MAGIC. As long as a shooting game gives me a lot of what I play it for, which is well-done gameplay centered around shooting people, I am fine with the story being a piece of shit.

Are you really not enjoying the gameplay to the point of having to focus entirely on the story?
was never good
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 12:47 AM       
Yeah, the gameplay sucks a dick. I've already been over this!
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 12:48 AM       
Oh. Ok, then!
Slim Goodbody
Supafly345 is probably a real personSupafly345 is probably a real person
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 11:46 AM       
Convince Chojin Bioshock is a good game despite its frivolous flaws, and win a free ipod!

EDIT: Iphone!
was never good
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 05:18 PM       
Yes, silly flaws such as pre-1994 AI, terrible control and physics, and ridiculous and contrived plot progression. CAN'T I SEE THAT THIS GAME TRULY SHINES AS A WATER SIMULATOR?
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 06:01 PM       
Why don't you just play System Shock 2 like all the cool kids
was never good
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 02:56 PM       
Cause I am afraid to see what this game would be like without water.
Son of a Sandworm??!
timrpgland is probably a spambot
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 01:28 PM       
The game is a great experience but that experience is lacking quite a bit after the first play through.

Awesome game though.

XBOX LIVE: KefkaGrim
Hitler's Canoe!
MetalMilitia is probably a spambot
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 09:17 AM       
I'm going to have to agree with Chojin on this one. I can't see how this game got perfect 10 scores from so many reviewers. The graphics didn't really impress me, the game play mechanics weren't particularly fun and the character animations look like crap.

As for the storyline I really couldn't care less about any of the characters as I don't know why I'm there or why some guy is telling me what to do. I'm sure it's explained at some point but I haven't loaded the game up in a week so I'm not sure if I'll ever find out.

There are some things I like about the game; the architectural style and atmosphere of Rapture is well done and the voice acting is exceptional but while these things go some way to redeem the game they cannot make up for the fundamentally dull gameplay.
Son of a Sandworm??!
timrpgland is probably a spambot
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 08:57 PM       
Quote:
There are some things I like about the game; the architectural style and atmosphere of Rapture is well done and the voice acting is exceptional but while these things go some way to redeem the game they cannot make up for the fundamentally dull gameplay.
For me this is exactly what it did do.

XBOX LIVE: KefkaGrim
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 09:13 PM       
I found the gameplay fun and the environment exciting and enjoyable.
dead end
mew barios is probably pretty okmew barios is probably pretty okmew barios is probably pretty ok
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 07:32 PM       
overall i liked it. kinda short, kinda easy. but it looks nice and its fun killing things, beating people to death with dead bodies an stuff.

the story as it involves the main character is extremely weak and that hurts :< when it comes to the city itself, it was interesting to me. i wanted to know what went wrong, what was in the big daddy suits, stuff like that. but as far as your character goes, its plain that the rapture sidestory is the focalpoint and you are the hastily tacked on accessory. this disconnection kept me from getting freaked out like i usually do playing screaming zonbi murder simulators. well, that and the fact that they won't freaking shut up for 5 seconds. i observed all his commandments :O observed all his commandments. observed.. all his commandments! observed all his goddammit i freaking know already jesus :O

i just expected more from something with no multiplayer :<
Forum Virgin

B.T.C is probably a spambot
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 08:43 PM       
I just beat the game and though it was pretty good I am glad I didn't buy it this game has no replay value to me.
Forum Virgin

dpw6 is probably a spambot
Old Feb 21st, 2008, 10:21 AM        vita chamber
people keep complaining about vita chambers, so i want to tell everyone that there is a patch for both the xbox and pc version that has new plasmids, tonics, and a "disable vita chamber" option.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Feb 21st, 2008, 11:02 AM       
Chojin did you play System Shock yet or what
Zombie Basher
Dr. Octogonopus is probably a spambot
Old Feb 21st, 2008, 06:00 PM       
Well, you find out later on in the game that Jack has no choice but to listen to atlas, especially if you pay attention to him when he radios you. I'll explain further when i figure out how to write a spoilers tag clicky thing....
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Feb 21st, 2008, 06:02 PM       
(spoiler=typearandomnumberhere)spoiler text here(/spoiler)

replace ( and ) with [ and ]