Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Center Square
Brandon is probably a spambot
Old May 18th, 2004, 06:29 AM        Theological question
Isn't the concept of the Judeo-Christian God, as is commonly described, a contradiction in terms?

God, according to most believers, has anthropomorphic qualities. He has a personality; He has feelings. However, He is also said to be omniscient, omnipotent, and pure spirit.

Isn't emotion incompatible with "godly" qualities, though? Wouldn't it require both a physical body and a certain weakness of character? Isn't it ridiculous to think that a "perfect" being could become angry? Sad?

O71394658 is probably a spambot
Old May 18th, 2004, 07:21 AM       
The concept of God and his emotions may or may not be true. The simple fact of the matter is, there is no other way in which to describe him. We tend to associate actions with emotions people are feeling at the time. We aren't sure whether God actually "felt" those emotions, but in the Biblical sense, it's the only way in which the authors can try to make people understand His actions.
Stone Pants Rabbit
Cosmo Electrolux is probably a spambot
Old May 18th, 2004, 08:24 AM       
God = fairy tale

feel better?
Mocker

Helm is probably a spambot
Old May 18th, 2004, 09:33 AM       
Yes, yes it's a contradiction. Hm. Is this thread done?
Mocker
Big Papa Goat is probably a spambot
Old May 18th, 2004, 02:07 PM       
I doubt it
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old May 18th, 2004, 02:29 PM       
I swear I've explained this like thirty times... God is Omniscient Omnipotent and also Omnipresent. This means s\he't knows all, creates all actions(For none can go with or without him, hence the OMNI) and is everywhere at once. NOw whether or not God can actuallly feel emotions "Itself"(Since we are speaking as if it were some bearded fool on a hill), being that it has omni characteristics it must feel the emotions of "Us" or the people within it's omni characteristics.
Yes in a sense being a "OMNI" God would be rather tortureful, and yet bliss. This is why he is omni, but anyway. Because of his omni characteristics he feels emotions and such through us, his "Subjects". This is how the idea of an OMNI Character works, the macrocosm is the microcosm, yet there is neither, because they are one.
Fartin's biggest fan
Perndog is probably a spambot
Old May 18th, 2004, 03:18 PM       
Thank you, Miss Cannabis.

It's my impression that the Judeo-Christian God is most easily defined as something beyond human comprehension. Any contradiction or uncertainty in God's character is simply due to our inability to describe Him completely.
Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old May 18th, 2004, 04:08 PM       
The fact of existence is beyond human comprehension. God is utterly within human comprension because we made him up to explain things that were beyond our comprehension. Being a human invention, he originally had human qualities. Not suprisingly, many gods at or prior to that time had human qualities. But, also present in the concept, is a a mulititude of metaphysical qualities which we pion humans are not supposed to be able to grasp and which keeps the knowledge of the ultimate being just out of our mental reach. As human knowledge grew and changed so did the concept of God evolve, and in some aspects, shrink.

Wherever you go, there you are.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old May 18th, 2004, 04:13 PM       
The Egyptian God's and Goddess's numbered a certain number doubled, and every God and Goddess is a representation of a Human Chromosome.
Mocker
The One and Only... is probably a spambot
Old May 18th, 2004, 04:48 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perndog
It's my impression that the Judeo-Christian God is most easily defined as something beyond human comprehension. Any contradiction or uncertainty in God's character is simply due to our inability to describe Him completely.
Yeah, I would say so considering he's a supernatural being. If this weren't the case, just think of how screwed up the doctrine of the Trinity would be.

All Christians would be Unitarian :/ .
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old May 18th, 2004, 07:29 PM       
Mocker

Old May 18th, 2004, 08:14 PM       

VinceZeb is probably a spambot
Old May 18th, 2004, 09:15 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellychaos
The fact of existence is beyond human comprehension. God is utterly within human comprension because we made him up to explain things that were beyond our comprehension. Being a human invention, he originally had human qualities. Not suprisingly, many gods at or prior to that time had human qualities. But, also present in the concept, is a a mulititude of metaphysical qualities which we pion humans are not supposed to be able to grasp and which keeps the knowledge of the ultimate being just out of our mental reach. As human knowledge grew and changed so did the concept of God evolve, and in some aspects, shrink.
Wow. How much time did you put into that worthless post? Sit the fuck done Baby Huey while the adults talk.

To put human qualities into God is an exact contradiction to the concept of God Himself. God is a being that is beyond human comprehension. When humans asked God's name, he simply said "I am." The ideas of "compassion" or "justice" as we know it have no place with God. God's law is the law that is follwed. God is "compassionate" when we follow his laws. God throught the Bible has stated that His way is the way it is and if you don't like it, have fun in Hell. You can whine and cry about how "unjust" it is, but since God created reality, existance and time, you can't really give Him any guff that is meaningful.
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Sethomas is probably a spambot
Old May 18th, 2004, 09:18 PM       
God as an active agent is impossible by his abiding nature intrinsic to being eternal.

That's why my philosophy rocks.

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT
Mocker

Old May 18th, 2004, 09:24 PM       
vince: what the fuck, don't you have the new testament over there?

seth: last time you posted parts of it, it was complete rubbish. It's nice to know that's it's rock awesome now.
BANNED

Old May 18th, 2004, 09:25 PM       
God didn't create reality, reality was already created before him, hence his own existence. He is nothing special, nothing but the bitch of another rue and form.
Mocker

Old May 18th, 2004, 09:45 PM       
In the whole world, there is one character I identify with and respect above all. His name is said with respect among the sentient beings in the Universe. He is well-revered as a brillant engineer and scientist and one of the most intelligent minds in existance. His name is I AM. The man who puts the "beyond" in "beyond human comprehension". The man who has single-handedly created the Earth, and then gave it up to silly humen because the challenge was gone. Scroll down to meet the man behind the beard, the king of all, God.

Identity: Publicly known

Legal Status: King of all creation, with diplomatic immunity in the United States

Place of Birth: Gypsy camp outside of Haasenstadt, Latveria

Relatives: Mary (Mother, Deacesed), A flower (Father, Deacesed), Pantera(Son)

Height: 6'2"

Weight: 225 lbs.

Eyes: unjust

Hair: totally

Group Affiliation: not jews

First Appearance: Fantastic Four Vol. 1 #5
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Old May 18th, 2004, 09:54 PM       
Helm: If you can point out what exactly is "rubbish", please do so. I love scrutiny. And I wasn't talking about my article on the existence of God (which you never sufficiently disproved), but rather about Coeternalism.

God didn't create reality, reality was already created before him, hence his own existence.

That's completely retarded. You can't say that reality was ever "created," much less that it pre-exists God. If that were the case, then whatever DID create reality would be a more true god. The defining attribute of eternity is that it is devoid of beginning, end, and time itself. Your sort of applying such processes of creation is puerile and stupid.

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT
BANNED

Old May 18th, 2004, 10:10 PM       
I don't have articles, but I'm still smarter than everyone.
Mocker

Old May 18th, 2004, 10:11 PM       
I was thinking of your existence of god article which as far as I can recall was riddled with loosely defined terms in a quasi-logical format and as I recall it was 'sufficiently voided' instead of disproved due to the very basic errors or ommisions and your lack of understanding the difference between a demand and a proof. I haven't read your 'philosophy' and I doubt It'd be any better since you're still sticking up for said article. In a few years after you've read a few more things and have pondered a hell of a lot more about those things you'll look back on this article and understand it as the half-formed juvenile and forced apologetic effort it is.

Quote:
Your sort of applying such processes of creation is puerile and stupid.
Not any bit more retarded that to attributing the burden of creation on another loosely defined semiotic entity like your God.
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Old May 18th, 2004, 10:12 PM       
Is that why you're so angry about having a dick?

Edit: Helm came between Kahl and me.

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT
Mocker

Old May 18th, 2004, 10:18 PM       
I'm a homewrecker
BANNED

Old May 18th, 2004, 10:55 PM       
My dick is also bigger than everyone's, and I can PROVE it.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old May 18th, 2004, 10:57 PM       
Will you get to keep it, or do they just give it to someone else? I'd have it stuffed for a nice mantlepiece.
BANNED

Old May 19th, 2004, 12:08 AM       
They use the dick to manufacture the vagina, the bigger the dick the better pussy you get.

"That's completely retarded. You can't say that reality was ever "created," much less that it pre-exists God. If that were the case, then whatever DID create reality would be a more true god. The defining attribute of eternity is that it is devoid of beginning, end, and time itself. Your sort of applying such processes of creation is puerile and stupid."

Your reality was created when you were born, then constantly recreated through every second as you went through life. You don't even live in the same reality you lived in 20 minutes ago, because I just introduced a contaminate into it. BLAM I CHANGED YO UR REALITY BEOTCH.
There is no true God. Because above the true God of the true God there is another True God, sort of like between every two notes is a different scale, and between every two notes of that is another scale. It's fucking infinite.