Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > General Blabber
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old Jun 9th, 2011, 06:37 PM       
I remember when geocities used to make you pick an "address", like geocities.com/paris/catacombs/5720606267248 or something
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Jun 9th, 2011, 06:57 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esuohlim View Post
Geocities basically exemplifies the whole internet at that time of my life. There was a certain charm about it that I sort of miss. I was a big fan of all the Jixby + company webring Geocities sites, and I don't remember where I first stumbled upon their stuff but they're the reason I found I-Mock in the first place.

GEOCITIES, EZBOARDS, AND VIDEO GAME CHEAT SITES. I was fucking pumped about video game cheats for a while since my only experience were the odds and ends I would try to remember from those cheat books in the stores. Getting immediate access to all of them for any game at anytime was like a dream come true. I miss getting excited about that kind of thing
i-mockery was originally a series of geocities sites all designed to make people angry, and i maintain it was still at its best back then. we originally found rog's sxe/vegan hate page in the mid 90s searching for bob saget hate pages on altavista. i thought it was hilarious and contributed some pictures as "lordofmalice". boy was i cool back then.

i remember paying $5 at arcades for mortal kombat II move lists back before the internet was out :{
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Jun 9th, 2011, 07:50 PM       
YOUR MOM INTRODUCED ME TO THE INTERNET AND WE HAD A FAT THREESOME

IT WAS FAT CAUSE THEY WERE FAT
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Jun 10th, 2011, 11:47 AM       
I tried the internet when AOL came out and quickly went back to BBS until the internet got better.
Lingonberry pancakes
Mad Melvin is probably a real personMad Melvin is probably a real person
Old Jun 11th, 2011, 05:21 AM       
I remember downloading a shareware version of Shadow Warrior from BBS. It took fucking ages and the line went down when there was only like 2% left. My parents didn't let me download it again, because of the phone bill, so I went to my friends house and we downloaded it from there. My friend packed the game on floppy disks (about 20 disks total) and I tried to install the game from them. 1 disk was corrupted. I almost cried.

I met the real internet around 96. My friend had it and we would go to some lame chatrooms and try to get girls send us pictures of their tits. It never worked.
Thrills and Oblongs
Shrubfest is probably pretty okShrubfest is probably pretty okShrubfest is probably pretty okShrubfest is probably pretty okShrubfest is probably pretty ok
Old Jun 11th, 2011, 05:55 AM       
I had to make a webpage as a class project before we had a computer at home. I finished my A levels before we got broadband. We are a bit behind the times.

I also had a MySpace and an email account before having the internet because myspace was the shit in highschool, so my friends clearly thought I needed one.
I was only allowed online for an hour at a time at off peak rates, because it was expensive and frivolous.
We didn't get broadband because my mother believed 'faster internet, faster viruses!'
Evil Robot
Evil Robot II is probably pretty okEvil Robot II is probably pretty okEvil Robot II is probably pretty ok
Old Jun 13th, 2011, 12:29 AM       
After growing tired of the new "multimedia" groilers encyclopedia we turned our attention to the one computer hooked up to a phone line. It was already connected and logged in to prodigy under the libriarians name. The three of us though it would be nice of us to open her mail and respond to it. We managed to hammer out the message "Yay, I am kermit the frog and I stick pencils up my anus" and sent it to her online stock broker. We continued looking at random "prodigy specific" crap when a new message arrived stating that her broker thought the message was disgusting and childish and had forwarded it to prodigy administrators. We then deleted the message and went on with our day.
taco loving zombie
darkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty ok
Old Jun 13th, 2011, 12:29 PM       
the first thing i remember from the internet was watching bikini pictures of the girl from the weird sciene tv show with my father

SANTO el enmascarado de plata
teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old Jun 13th, 2011, 12:32 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Robot II View Post
After growing tired of the new "multimedia" groilers encyclopedia we turned our attention to the one computer hooked up to a phone line.
Glad to see I'm not the only one who arrived via Grolier's.
teacup of sunshine
Old Jun 13th, 2011, 12:40 PM       
dbl post sry sry
YOU GUYS ARE DOING GREAT
Rez is probably a spambot
Old Jun 13th, 2011, 04:26 PM       
wish i could remember but my memory of how i spent time at the library all involved MUD games

pretty sure i was playing MUD games before i got a hot mail account
teacup of sunshine
Old Jun 13th, 2011, 04:33 PM       
Also, I was on IRC for fucking ever. I mean, seriously. For fucking ever.
Evil Robot
Evil Robot II is probably pretty okEvil Robot II is probably pretty okEvil Robot II is probably pretty ok
Old Jun 13th, 2011, 08:37 PM       
I remember the apple IIe computers that the school had and then they got 3 of those windows 3.11 machines for the groilers thing. It seemed a lot of schools got the same package deal that year.

I'm thinking back to first grade and in the library there was a wall of film canisters you could take out and there were microfilms of books and crap. They had special viewers you loaded it into as well as a cassette tape that went with them. I'm trying to find one online but I cant remember what they were called.
...Pause at the Beginning
Aaarg is probably pretty okAaarg is probably pretty okAaarg is probably pretty okAaarg is probably pretty ok
Old Jun 19th, 2011, 08:35 PM       
I remember the Internet in my middle school in 1996, but only from a classroom in the gifted ed. program. Also, I didn't know what it was and apparently several of my classmates did. Fuckin' kids with well-off, educationally-nurturing parents.

My grandparents got a webTV (YEAH) unit in 98 or 99 or something, and my parents followed pretty quickly. I learned HTML on a webTV (YEAH).

In 2000, I bought myself a computer/Internet package (remember those PeoplePC commercials?) at age 14... and then I never left my fucking room again.

Also I hated Geocities. Also Angelfire until I learned how to upload files via FTP and didn't have to use their editor.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Jun 19th, 2011, 11:53 PM       
My dad bought this thing called "Internet in a Box" in 1994, which was basically all the programs you needed to get a Windows 3.1 machine hooked up to Internet. It included the Mosaic browser, which eventually became Netscape.

After that my dad convinced my mom (cuz moms are the ones who really run the show ) that we needed a second phone line because she wouldn't stop yelling at us to get off the modem so she could talk to my grandma for hours.
teacup of sunshine
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 12:15 AM       
Did anyone else make "Hypercard Stacks"?

It was like making really shitty gifs in Paint.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 12:21 AM       
We used Hypercard in junior high to make presentations for a Science class project. We only had Mac Classics and the presentations really sucked, but my teacher had a huge boner for Hypercard so we were stuck with it.

I honestly would have rather made posters by hand.
teacup of sunshine
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 12:25 AM       
I vaguely remember making one of a volcano erupting for Earth Science. It was pretty terrible.
aint nobody

All Hail Duke is probably a spambot
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 02:59 AM       
a decade or so ago my cousin left her computer here when she was moving, i hooked it up and some time later used aol "free" trial discs
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 02:16 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsa View Post
Did anyone else make "Hypercard Stacks"?

It was like making really shitty gifs in Paint.
yes. i learned to program in hypercard's language hypertext (no relation to http) and made probably over 100 stacks of games as a kid. most of them were point-and-click but toward the end of my career i was using buttons with graphics (essentially sprites) and had physics engines. my most infamous series of games was called "baby ball", which was a home run derby game with live babies. i got sent to the principal's office once for working on it after school. when i first got on AOL, one of the first things I did was delve into their vault of hypercard games.

hypercard even had its own virus called 'merryXmas' that would hide the title bar, make the program run a tiny bit more slowly, and embed itself into the stack code in a way that it couldn't be deleted without the matching merryXmas virus removal program. i still have a mac hooked up in my computer room pretty much purely so that i can play my old hypercard games.
Well Shit
creeposaurus is probably a spambot
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 03:38 PM       
I got my first taste of internet when I was 12. It was when my aunt showed me some picture of a guy's head hacked in half on rotten.com. Then when I turned 13 my mom decided to get Juno dial-up. I used to wait an hour and a half just to download one song. Then when I turned 16 my aunt and I got Comcast when we were living with my grandparents. That's when I started playing shit like Maplestory...
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 03:52 PM       
hahaha juno

my parents had juno internet up until last year
Well Shit
creeposaurus is probably a spambot
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 03:57 PM       
Holy shit, that shit still exists? You should blow their minds and introduce them to cable internet.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 04:37 PM       
did already. well, it's via a wifi router at my sister's house right next door, but still.
was never good
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 04:45 PM       
netzero :<

i was probably the first person in my state to get an ISDN line when they came out. LOOK OUT FAGGOTS ON QUAKEWORLD, I'VE GOT A 90 MS PING