Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > General Blabber
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 10:09 PM       
lol :< okay, Q&A TIME LET'S BOUNCE IDEAS BACK ON THE I-MOCKERY CORPORATE BLACKBOARD

Yes, Fathom, shoot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathom Zero
And is the SAFE FOR WORK part ever going to change? Where will all the stuff go?
The forums being safe for work has always been true, and from our NSFW 'weather balloon' thread in the mock wars forum, it's pretty clear to me that being able to post NSFW material is a major contributing factor for making forums retarded. So no, the forums will remain SAFE FOR WORK.

Yes, Terra, you have an idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra
Loveline is really going to bit the dust? Oh well, survival of the fittest and all that.
Loveline doesn't really get enough posts to warrant an entire separate forum, and I think all of the threads in Loveline would work just as well in General Blabber. Really, the goal here is to consolidate most of the forums into a 'general' forum and then mix what's left into forums that are likely to have their own culture away from the masses in the general forum - For example, the art shit, music, movies, gaming, philosophy, and forum events forums all have a much different flavor to them than say, mock wars or general blabber. I think we should, in the immortal words of the prophet Smuckers, preserve that.

Go, Grislygus! Shoot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grislygus
Even though my vote doesn't count for shit...I would also like the idea of an unimportant board being run by someone completely incompetent, just for kicks.
This is what I'm talking about - I think you're one of the better posters on the forum, but clearly you feel like an OUTSIDER. This is why we need ATTITUDE ADJUSTMENT and SHOCK THERAPY and PAINFUL RAPE as part of our HIGHLY CORPORATE I-MOCKERY VERNACULAR. Also, we kinda did that thing with unimportant forums, and we're trying to reduce clutter here.

Yo! Emu! My man! My dog! Speak up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emu
WE NEED A GAY-UPS FORUM
We don't! We're just going to delete gay-upped posts from now on, though I'm going to ask that moderators that do this use the 'temp delete' option so that us admins can review (as Rongi so helpfully did in this thread, although on that note I feel that Gadzooks and Guitar Woman weren't quite getting into the naked slapfighting stage yet so I reverted the delete).

Good work, Emu, come back! MLE, I choose you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLE
Also, I feel that Kevin has done a wonderful job of moderating the Philosophy boards, considering there is a large cult-like following, and that board is easily one of the most active now, and surprisingly mature (at least generally). If anyone else is to moderate that forum, I feel it would be largely unfair to Kevin to have his powers taken away.
Kevin isn't going anywhere, at least as far as I'm aware. The position of philo board mod is already taken by him. I want to avoid making ALL of our tenured members moderators, as that doesn't make a lot of sense. One mod per discussion forum, two or three mods for general blabber, and we'll add mods to flavor on the 'site' forums although I'm leaning toward having all i-mockery staff contributors having mod powers in that sector.

I can't think of anything to start this with, DuFresne!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuFresne
How about a News and Politics forum for Kevin, and then a Philosophy and Religion board for Seth or Kahl.
Again, clutter. The same types of people post on all of these topics, so it doesn't make any sense to divide them.

Max! Max Burbank! THE MAN WITH THE PUH-LAHN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburbank
I can still make fun of people who suck huge monkey titty, though, right?
Yes, again, feel free to mock people, just try to give them a glimmer of a chance and don't drag the rest of the boards down when you do lay into them.

Okay, to address a previous point in detail, when we make this change I will first merge all of the posts in the forums that we're consolidating, and move the rest to general blabber. From here, we can go one of two ways - either we then

1. Move the ENTIRE FORUMS as we know them into a new 'backup' forum and start the board over anew, or

2. We just continue the boards as-is with the reassigned forums.

I think there are pros and cons to both options and we'll have a poll later on to help us gauge what you dudes think, but for now let's DISCUSS.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Guitar Woman is probably a real personGuitar Woman is probably a real person
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 10:16 PM       
I'm in favor of a backup forum for the current stuff. I'm sure nobody wants our shiny new forums to be all cluttered. Buuuuuuuuuuuut make sure you keep the Thread Backups and Mock Wars Backups from this forum on the new one.
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 10:18 PM       
Yeah, I plan to have a general 'backups' forum with sub-forums for 'Thread backups', '2005 mock wars', '2007 mock wars', and '2007 forum archives'. Who knows, we could even archive the forums like this every year and make it a sort of HOLIDAY.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 10:20 PM       
Also, props on the temp-delete idea. And yes, I am getting the hint, I will stop being a fag.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 10:44 PM       
So, basically, you're taking the essence of these lovely boards, crushing it, and building anew?

I'd like to see how this all plays out.
noob 4eva
maggiekarp is probably a spambot
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 10:45 PM       
What the fuck happened guys

Also, I nominate myself for mod of the members that leave and never come back forum.
Resident Lurker
DuFresne is probably a spambot
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 10:45 PM       
It only took three years

Edit: That was to GW

Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 11:12 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chojin View Post
1. Move the ENTIRE FORUMS as we know them into a new 'backup' forum and start the board over anew
As you know from our previous talks, this is what I thought would be best for the forums once the site redesign is ready to launch. Plus, with a clean slate like that, more random users from the main site are going to want to register and join in the discussions. It's far more daunting to join a forum that already has established cliques and other bullshit going on... but when you're dealing with a brand new forum, the web is your oyster. :o
noob 4eva
maggiekarp is probably a spambot
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 11:20 PM       
If my many years on the internet have taught me anything besides the true meaning of loneliness, it's that bullshit forum cliques exist even after new places are brought about.

For a month or so we'll call ourselves "THE OLD GUARD" or something. Unless we're douchey about it and keep it up for years.

Wait, this is a positive thing. Change, happy times, let's keep hope alive!
Legislacerator
ItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty ok
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 11:33 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mockery View Post
As you know from our previous talks, this is what I thought would be best for the forums once the site redesign is ready to launch. Plus, with a clean slate like that, more random users from the main site are going to want to register and join in the discussions. It's far more daunting to join a forum that already has established cliques and other bullshit going on... but when you're dealing with a brand new forum, the web is your oyster. :o
but we did this once before and it didn't really seem to impact much of anything. I don't really care either way, but if someone is too much of a pussy to join a forum because it says "2002" for someone's join date, they're probably going to be pretty awful anyway.
was never good
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 11:37 PM       
I see value in having a clean slate, as that might not be as TERRIBLE and DAUNTING. On the other hand, having a ton of established threads can also make people feel like a couple of comments isn't going to stand out too much in the fray.

It's also important to let people know that this is an established forum, too. I'm largely in favor of keeping our threads and cleaning stuff up.
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 11:39 PM       
Back up all threads older than a month, perhaps?
CHIEF OF POLICE
MLE is probably pretty okMLE is probably pretty okMLE is probably pretty okMLE is probably pretty ok
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 11:45 PM       
I think that's actually a happy medium.
125% 3D
Cfr5 is probably a spambot
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 11:58 PM       
Chojin, are you planning on actually making the comments forum visible?
was never good
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 12:01 AM       
Well, in the past, rog would post a link to a new article and then have everyone here comment on it, and that's what would now go in the articles forum. If POSSIBLE, it'd be great if the comments forum were visible on here, but looked like the rest of the forums if you visited it from the forums (with a first post from IMOCK BOT or somethign with a link and brief synopsis of the article) and looked like the integrated version if you visited it from the site (signatures off, et al).
125% 3D
Cfr5 is probably a spambot
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 12:06 AM       
I'll see if I can force the comment style for external pages and leave it normal for inside the forum. I've been thinking about grabbing the title from the articles anyway, but a synopsis would have to be hand-written. The goal was to automate it much as possible because there are so many damned articles. Right now, literally only three lines of code have to be added to each article.
was never good
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 12:09 AM       
Well, the 'synopsis' could be the first 256 characters of text or something, followed by a '... [READ MORE]'. I PM'd you with a few more details.
Banned
noob3 is probably a spambot
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 12:30 AM       
There's a thread for every article, why couldn't RoG just LINK to the thread here instead of the comment board? Would that not be a viable solution?
was never good
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 12:32 AM       
Because the way that we set up thread formatting for in-article comments. And it also doesn't really belong in General Blabber.
MAMA MIA!
Terra is probably a spambot
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 12:51 AM       
Will somebody nominate me for "The Stupid Stuff that Nobody Cares to Read" forum? I'd give it (posts) two weeks tops, and then turn it into a free for all (Mock Wars) and then blow the whole thing to Kingdom Come to make room for the floatsam and jetsome that typically show up here?

I mean hell, every forum has to have a flush mod. I've certainly tipped my fair share of turds around here. I'm willing to do pennance for it.
was never good
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 12:56 AM       
No silly forums on the new boards. At least not at first.
Pickled Patriarch
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 01:11 AM       
Quote:
No silly forums on the new boards. At least not at first.
YEAH, THIS IS SERIOUS BUSINESS. :O
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 01:14 AM       
serious homo board, serious homo problems, etc.
Fucking Finland
RaNkeri is probably a spambot
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 03:24 AM       
Quote:
1. Move the ENTIRE FORUMS as we know them into a new 'backup' forum and start the board over anew

So are we supposed to register again if this happens?
Pickled Patriarch
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 03:25 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaNkeri View Post
So are we supposed to register again if this happens?
Nopers. Just all the old post would be moved to an "archives" section of the forum, but everybody would still have their current accounts 'n what not.