Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

GAsux is probably a spambot
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 03:59 PM        Political Relativity
Are conditions in the world and the political situation regarding the U.S. any more critical/vital/important now than they've ever been?

When was the last time a President DIDN'T mention what a critical juncture in history we're at during a State of the Union?

Are things really worse, or just the same but different?
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 04:20 PM       
"We live in historic times"

As opposed to living in a time that we're all going to try to forget about 20 years from now?

"Hey guys, remember back in 2005..."
"You. Shut the fuck up. Now. We don't talk about 2005."

GAsux is probably a spambot
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 06:21 PM       
Honestly. I wonder how many references in each of Bush's six State of the Unions there are to what pivotal times we live in. I guess in fairness that's not just a knock on him as Im sure everyone else did it too.

Im just thinking that in my lifetime, as long as I can remember, we've never lived in a time that wasn't "critical/historic/pivotal/vital/crucial" to the future of the nation.

So each year we get to hear about how THIS is the year that matters.
ineffable

sadie is probably a spambot
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 10:36 PM       
ziggy made me lol.
GO AWAY DONT POST HERE

davinxtk is probably a spambot
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 03:17 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAsux
Honestly. I wonder how many references in each of Bush's six State of the Unions there are to what pivotal times we live in. I guess in fairness that's not just a knock on him as Im sure everyone else did it too.

Im just thinking that in my lifetime, as long as I can remember, we've never lived in a time that wasn't "critical/historic/pivotal/vital/crucial" to the future of the nation.

alright now snip it down...
Quote:

a little more...
Quote:
we've never lived in a time that wasn't "critical/historic/pivotal/vital/crucial" to the future of the nation.

and... perfect!
Quote:
we've never lived in a time that wasn't "critical/historic/pivotal/vital/crucial" to the future of the nation.

THIS is the year that matters.

You know why this is the year that matters? Because this is the year we're living. Last year isn't so important anymore because it already happened. Next year isn't quite the main priority yet because well it's 365 days away, am I right?

Think of time as a piece of string, hanging off the corner of your desk. Right now is where it bends. As it drags along, the most important part is still right now, the bend.

So no, we do not live in a period of time now that is more or less impactful than any other period of time. Except possibly lunch time, which is of course vitally important no matter when right now happens to be.
(1:02:34 AM): and i think i may have gone a little too far and let her know that i actually do hate her, on some level, just because she's female
(1:03:33 AM): and now she's being all kinds of sensitive about it
(1:03:53 AM): i hate women