Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > General Blabber
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Jan 11th, 2011, 02:03 AM       
they should throw some carbon nanotubes in there, that'll make it work better right
Mocker
The One and Only... is probably a spambot
Old Jan 11th, 2011, 02:52 AM       
Scientific realism is bullshit, Bas van Fraassen all the way.
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Jan 11th, 2011, 11:43 AM       
after enough bourbon ...
Colonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's army
Old May 23rd, 2011, 04:48 AM       
It's been awhile, but this article caught my eye.

It's a little misleading - as if Uranium could be made non-radioactive. However, there is a great deal of U238 left over from the enrichment process that is useless for anything other than a curiosity. There are catalytic compounds that use uranium, and of course for science experriments on radioactivity, but this is a real, honest-to-goodness opportunity to radically shrink the physical size - or increase the capacity - of mass storage media. It's not yet ready for commercialization (as if!) but there is potential for some serious speculators in the IT marketplace with some excess capital to make a go at developing the technology.

Know anybody? :D
You may already be there.
Näyttelijäbotti!
Pub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty ok
Old May 23rd, 2011, 05:09 AM       
Wouldn't it be usable in a cloud facility where people don't generally hang out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC News [Link]
Researchers have set a new record for the rate of data transfer using a single laser: 26 terabits per second.

At those speeds, the entire Library of Congress collections could be sent down an optical fibre in 10 seconds.

The trick is to use what is known as a "fast Fourier transform" to unpick more than 300 separate colours of light in a laser beam, each encoded with its own string of information.
Superlasers firing into a Uranium harddrive? Yes, please.
after enough bourbon ...
Colonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's army
Old May 23rd, 2011, 05:10 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Robot II View Post
Is Andrea Rossi's E-CAT device real or a hoax?
Quote:
Originally Posted by executioneer View Post
sounds an awful lot like a hoax to me what with all this "unknown compound" business
It may look a little fishy, but a Greek energy company is sponsoring a 1 megawatt pilot plant as a prelude to commercialization. And as for the "unknown compound" BS - well if they said what it was, they would jeopardize any patent protection. The investors have been given some information, but they have also signed agreements preventing disclosure.

Personally, I wonder what ConEd or Exxon is thinking right now.
after enough bourbon ...
Old May 23rd, 2011, 05:12 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub Lover View Post
Wouldn't it be usable in a cloud facility where people don't generally hang out?
Or in a thumb drive with shielding? I'm still a little unclear on how much reduction in spatial size is possible.

And I FFT's.
Slim Goodbody
Supafly345 is probably a real personSupafly345 is probably a real person
Old Jun 6th, 2011, 11:47 AM       
Some of you might remember Camacazio who used to post here, but you may not know that he is a fucking sweet physicist. Well he is THE GUY for fastest cold ion transport, so made this artist rendition of the achievement for him to use in his presentation today.

ITS FUNNY BECAUSE SOMETHING THAT SMALL COULDN'T POSSIBLY BE COVERED IN ICE LET ALONE A ROCKET LOLOLOL

Last edited by Supafly345 : Jun 6th, 2011 at 09:12 PM.
after enough bourbon ...
Old Jun 6th, 2011, 12:57 PM       
Star Trek physics has taken a small step forward.

I especially like the first phrase "Trapping antihydrogen atoms at [CERN] has become so routine ..."
after enough bourbon ...
Old Jun 6th, 2011, 01:08 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supafly345 View Post
Well [Camacazio] recently broke the world record for fastest cold ion transport AGAIN, [...]
The articles I'm finding on ion transport are mostly involved with ITER and/or PPPL - and they're about 2 years old. Newer articles are jealously guarded by their publishers to the tune of between 25 and 40 bucks per.

Can you provide a little more information so I can figure out what the heck he's doing? Maybe for free?
Slim Goodbody
Old Jun 6th, 2011, 01:18 PM       
He is getting ramped up to publish an article on it soon. Ion transport isn't what he's working on mainly I don't think, it was just a part of it. And I guess you need government clearance to know whats going on at this stage? He drops little hints about shooting lasers off eachother for a quantum computer they are developing, I don't know you'll have to wait until they go public. The place he works at is called NIST if that helps point you in the right direction at finding info.

Last edited by Supafly345 : Jun 6th, 2011 at 09:14 PM.
Slim Goodbody
Old Jun 6th, 2011, 01:21 PM       
Also I hope he doesn't read this thread because he'll scold me for my ignorance about things he's probably told me about but I'm getting them wrong right now. Also I don't want to seem like I am bragging on his behalf, I just wanted to show off my shitty graphic I whipped up this morning for him that is going to be witnessed by an entire physics dept as the representation of cold ion transport.
Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Jun 6th, 2011, 01:23 PM       
I-Mockery isn't for successful people. So I guess that's why he doesn't post anymore.
Slim Goodbody
Old Jun 6th, 2011, 07:22 PM       
Me (11:37:20 AM): Are there any papers on this cold ion transport I can read
Me (11:37:33 AM): or are you writing one about it
camacazio (11:37:36 AM): only theory, and i haven't read one i like
camacazio (11:37:41 AM): mine will be the first experimental paper
camacazio (11:38:02 AM): but your picture shows the general idea

Me (11:38:29 AM): ah, okay, I know you'll show me it if you ever write one
camacazio (11:38:40 AM): yup!
camacazio (11:38:49 AM): well i'll have one by the summer's end
after enough bourbon ...
Old Jun 6th, 2011, 08:28 PM       
Thanks. NIST is a big clue, and your description is another. I think I know what to look for now. I'll let you know.

If they don't "back trace" my inquiries and the men in black come and get me, that is.
after enough bourbon ...
Old Jun 6th, 2011, 08:41 PM       
I'd guess that he's working in the PML division of NIST, which is heavily involved with developing quantum computing using ultracold materials known as Bose-Einstein Condenstates (BEC's). I may also be completely wrong, and if so, I never said any of this.

Does he know Dr. Carl Weiman?
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Jun 6th, 2011, 09:07 PM       
is there any way to make a flying pizza slice out of BECs
Slim Goodbody
Old Jun 6th, 2011, 09:13 PM       
Ugh, you guys are going to force me to link him to this page goddamnit.
OH GOD
Old Jun 6th, 2011, 09:15 PM       
KAMIKAZE A YOU
after enough bourbon ...
Old Jun 6th, 2011, 09:18 PM       
Quote:
If you could, it wouldn't be very hot.
Mocker
camacazio is probably a spambot
Old Jun 6th, 2011, 09:19 PM       
Quote:
I'M WORKING ON IT
OH GOD
Old Jun 6th, 2011, 09:57 PM       
this technology will revolutionize pizza as we know it :o
Mocker
Old Jun 6th, 2011, 10:15 PM       
yeah that way when you want a pizza you'll get it fast, and it will be cold
OH GOD
Old Jun 6th, 2011, 11:32 PM       
so cold
Mocker
Old Jun 7th, 2011, 12:23 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Flagg View Post
I'd guess that he's working in the PML division of NIST, which is heavily involved with developing quantum computing using ultracold materials known as Bose-Einstein Condenstates (BEC's). I may also be completely wrong, and if so, I never said any of this.

Does he know Dr. Carl Weiman?
Not personally, but I'm pretty familar with his work, and I've worked with people who have worked with him. The university campus has a cute little nobel laureate sign with him, Eric Cornell, and John Hall listed. I trap single ions, our "temperature" is excitations of vibrational quanta in the trap.