Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Ms. Sorghum Molasses '82
Sleazeappeal is probably a spambot
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 06:13 PM        Words to Watch Out for...
Hi, I’m Sleazeappeal.

You may recognize my alias from the long-forgotten cartoon show “Spartakus and the Sun Beneath the Sea”, but that’s not what I’m here to talk about. I’m just introducing myself because I plan to be visiting these forums frequently, particularly this one, because… I’m a philosophical and politically minded sort of guy. I just am.

I would, however, like to take this opportunity to bring to light a few things that I shall not be talking about. Specifically, two words that, once this post is completed, I have no intention of using again during my entire tenure upon these boards.

Those words are “liberal” and “conservative”.

I shall abstain from using these words because, as far as I’m concerned, these words have been ABUSED to the point where they no longer have any recognizable meaning anymore. Oh, they used to mean something. “Liberal” used to mean “wanting to change the status quo” and “conservative” used to mean “wanting to maintain the status quo”. Yes, they were by definition opposed to each other, but such opposition was clinical and schematic.

Furthermore, having one viewpoint or another was a largely subjective matter that one could apply on an issue-to-issue basis. In other words, it wasn’t at all unheard of not too long ago to be “liberal” on one issue and “conservative” on another. Pretty incredible freakin’ concept, huh?

Then something happened.

All of the sudden it wasn’t enough to disagree with the opposition… You had to HATE them.

People stopped thinking that those who disagreed with them were incorrect because they didn’t know any better, but rather that they were deliberately disagreeing with them out of spite. They couldn’t just be “wrong” or “misinformed”, they had to be “stupid”, “insane” and “evil”.

It wasn’t long after that everyone started becoming subject to something I like to call “The Big Switcheroo”. “The Big Switcheroo” is where you no longer consider your opposition to be part of all that is stupid, evil and insane and start considering all that is stupid, insane and evil to be part of your opposition. When you surrender to such a mentality, it’s rather easy to trick yourself into thinking that, if all the opposition believes and holds dear is evil then whatever is the opposite must by definition be good and right. In short, the delusion that those who disagree with you do so out of spite eventually became a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Why do you think terrorist-sympathy is considered part of “the liberal agenda”?
Why do you think pollution is considered part of “the conservative agenda”?

Furthermore, forget about having viewpoints of varying degrees on an issue-to-issue basis anymore. Nowadays you’ve got to choose your alliance and stick with it. You’re one or the other, black or white, no room for compromise. When you’re a Jet you’re a Jet all the way, and if you vary in the least you are considered tainted and cast out.

How do I know this? I know because it’s happened to ME.

Never mind that I think the flat-tax is a great idea…
Never mind that I believe gun-control to be the first step down a VERY slippery slope…
Never mind that I consider the death penalty a perfectly viable option for meting out punishment to criminals (provided it’s used prudently)…
Many is the time I’ve been labeled a “liberal”, no different from some pot-smoking, welfare-collecting, flag-burning, Marx-reading hippie from Haight-Ashbury.

Never mind that I think evolution should stay in science class and creationism should stay in theology class…
Never mind that I believe two consenting human adults should be allowed to marry whether they share the same sex or not…
Never mind that I consider the war in Iraq to be amongst the biggest political, financial and military blunders in our nation’s history…
Many is the time I’ve been labeled a “conservative”, no different from some possum-hunting, sheet-wearing, cross-burning, gun-toting redneck from the trailer park.

The words have lost all meaning and have been reduced to nothing more than empty, rhetorical, derisive epithets and I, for one, prefer not to use them nor have them used on me.

So, whaddya wanna talk about?
dead end
mew barios is probably pretty okmew barios is probably pretty okmew barios is probably pretty ok
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 06:28 PM       
ur mom
Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 07:42 PM       
Are you going to be the liberal version of KK?

frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 07:51 PM       
Some guy on the radio today said Hilary Clinton was a less enthusiastic Dick Cheney.
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Sethomas is probably a spambot
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 08:14 PM       
"Liberal" originally referred to laissez-faire economic policy, and historically has usually been inextricable from the gold standard. That you didn't mention as much kinda makes me assume that you're stupid.

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT
Let's play Hardball!
Seven Force is probably a spambot
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 10:45 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Boogie View Post
Are you going to be the liberal version of KK?
if its Kris Kattan then he succeeded because he is not funny or interesting at all

Kulturkampf is probably a spambot
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 11:38 PM       
Liberal was originally for characters like John Locke who proposed a Republic based on life, liberty and property rights which were not able to be violated. In this sense, Libertarians are really only the liberals.

If you are for such word purity then I am sure you must agree that changing the word 'marriage' to allow men to marry mena nd woment o marry women must disgust you.

In a second thought:

I am a conservative, period. That is it. Perhaps you can call me a 'Neo-Conservative.'

I love Israel.
I love Capitalism.
I love Jesus Christ and Moses.
I love gays but I do not think they should ever marry.
I love the USA.
I love immigration reform.
I love Pres. Bush's foreign policy but his domestic stuff is mediocre.

And: I love the Patriot act and I agree that Islamofascists should be tracked by the government in their every move.
Ms. Sorghum Molasses '82
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 12:58 AM       
mew barios

Well, she's from Chicago. That help any?

Dr. Boogie

If it's all the same to you, I'd rather just be "Sleazeappeal" and leave it at that.

Fathom Zero

Really? Did they say why? I'm guessing they didn't. It was probably meant to be a joke, and if you explain a joke, well...

Sethomas

I wasn't really trying to be funny. Hopefully I'll say something that interests you in the future.

Kulturkampf

It's not so much "word purity" that concerns me, I recognize the need for the meaning of words to change with the society that uses them as much as anybody. It's when they're abused to the point where they lose ALL meaning that I start to roll my eyes.

And if it's all the same to you, I mean... You can identify yourself as whatever you wish, but until I get to know you better I shall choose to abstain from identifying you as anything other than "Kulturkampf: A guy who apparently loves a lot of things".

Last edited by Sleazeappeal : Jan 4th, 2008 at 01:08 PM.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 01:16 AM       
i can think of a lot of better words to watch out for than those
Ms. Sorghum Molasses '82
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 01:19 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Code-Wheel Jones View Post
Yes, but I figured I'd stick with two. Nice little even number, there.

BOO! A SPOOPY GHOST :x
Esuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contest
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 01:26 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulturkampf View Post
I love gays.

Thank you this has been Philosphy board: Cliffs Notes edition

TomWritesAboutStuff.com - The #1 Worst Blog
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 10:02 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleazeappeal View Post
Fathom Zero

Really? Did they say why? I'm guessing they didn't. It was probably meant to be a joke, and if you explain a joke, well...
They were talking about Obama's platform for "a change in Washington" and how it was leveled at Hilary, too, not just the current administration. The reason is that he's new blood in the White House. Hilary's another old political machine. Just like Dick Cheney, but without the style.

Quote:
Kidz (and black people) with guns and swimming pools!

Just kidding, I love the black community and all the contributions they bring to the national fondue pot of races.

Really, I hate it more when people are condescending like the above statement and it really irks me because it's like sending a child off to play while the grownups are talking. I like outright racism more. I respect it more.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 12:54 PM       
what about faux internet racism

Kulturkampf is probably a spambot
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 01:20 PM       
I would like to be known as a guy who loves a lot of things. God commands me to love my neighbor as how I love myself.

Forgive me, I am still young and my ideology is a work in progress. But in the future it will really be based more centered in love and appreciation as this is the message of God, and the freedom of man to do as he pleases as that is his true will.

But thanks, yeah, youa re right: it is the misconception behind words and the dichotomies that we create that makes things dirty. they become parodies of themselves.

But I will tell you -- if you want to know a summary of my views, I am not afraid to say 'Conservative.'
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 02:01 PM       
You love yourself by getting in street brawls, drinking heavily and catching STDs. I would fucking hate to be your neighbour.
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 03:23 PM       
This thread is on a sticky fast track!
Ms. Sorghum Molasses '82
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 04:06 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulturkampf View Post
But I will tell you -- if you want to know a summary of my views, I am not afraid to say 'Conservative.'
Do as you must. But be warned... You'll find there's little need to label yourself as there are many people willing to do it for you.

This I guarantee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTheOmnivore View Post
This thread is on a sticky fast track!
Is that good or bad? Forgive me, I'm new here.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 04:35 PM       
Quote:
what about faux internet racism
Who doesn't? Like racism on a fake internet?
OH GOD
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 04:41 PM       
sorry i should have hyphenated, i meant internet-racism
Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 04:43 PM       
He's right, Willie. Black people don't go in swimming pools.

frappez le cochon rouge
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 05:58 PM       
That reminds me of a movie I watched one time where a black person was drowned by a bunch of white people in a pool. I watched it with my whole family and my aunt's boyfriend at the time said, "What a waste of a perfectly good niggro. "

I was horrified and my whole racist family laughed.
Funky Dynamite
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 06:11 PM       
Tyler Perry in Madea's Swimming Pool.

was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 11:43 AM       
I'm glad this thread is here because I was WONDERING what this guy was all about, and now I have this for reference.

Now all I have to do is find someone that can translate his simple - but beautiful - language.
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 01:27 PM       
Words I like to watch out for:

Free
Sale
Slut
Tavern
Speed Limit Enforced
Onion Booty
Ms. Sorghum Molasses '82
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 05:19 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chojin View Post
I'm glad this thread is here because I was WONDERING what this guy was all about, and now I have this for reference.

Now all I have to do is find someone that can translate his simple - but beautiful - language.
:blink:

Have we met?