Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Asspunch McGruf
Skulhedface is probably a spambot
Old May 20th, 2005, 07:36 PM        Emulators and Incapatibility
This topic is for those of us unfortunate enough to no longer have our original NES (or whatever system you choose) and play our classics through the magic of ROMs and emulators but have experienced a frustrating side effect:

The dreaded incompatible ROM.

Back in the day, when I was a wee lad attempting to tackle Fester's Quest, it couldn't be done. Maybe it was before my gaming skills had fully developed, but I couldn't even manage to make it to the first house.

Fast forward a decade or so...

Thanks to the magic of emulators, I once again make a valiant attempt to tackle Fester's Quest, and am kicking much more ass than in years gone by...

...and just when I start to get good and cocky, I select a key to open up the first house and *CRASH*. My emulator restarts the game from the title screen.

This thread has two purposes. One is the rather specific question, is there an emulator that Fester's Quest works with better results on? Just as a heads up I use NESter.

Secondly, have you flown through a game recently, battled towards the end, and almost beaten it only to have the emulator throw the dreaded "unsupported" error at you? If so, what game/emulator combination have you had the worst experience with?

Off the top of my head I can only think of two, both with NESter:

1. Fester's Quest, which will restart your game the second you use a key on one of the dungeons

2. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (NES)... making it all the way to the Technodrome at the end of Level 5 and kicking ass, only to have it move along the screen and suddenly crash my emulation because apparently NESter can't handle a goddamned Technodrome.
Whiter than Alabaster
the_dudefather is probably a spambot
Old May 20th, 2005, 07:40 PM       
NO-ONE CAN HANDLE THE TECHNODROME!

FS is probably a spambot
Old May 21st, 2005, 05:15 AM       
I currently use NESten and NEStopia. I know a lot of people use NESticle too. I don't have problems, save with a few unplayable hacks, and that might just be because whoever hacked them screwed up.
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old May 21st, 2005, 02:06 PM       
Emulators are constantly being updated. I remember when I was hacking Friday the 13th my hack stopped working on my copy of nester until I updated it.

I use VirtuaNES now. Look on zophar's domain for a better emulator than what you have now.
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old May 21st, 2005, 02:34 PM       
There's a version of NESter that supports different mappers and some other shit I can't remember. I don't know if it will work with those games, but it's worth a try.

http://www1.interq.or.jp/~t-takeda/b...er_support.zip
The Wrong Melon Farmer

Sacks is probably pretty okSacks is probably pretty okSacks is probably pretty ok
Old May 22nd, 2005, 06:02 AM       
The Fester's Quest bosses are freakin' ridiculous! You better watch your ass.
Mocker
pjalne is probably a spambot
Old May 22nd, 2005, 10:27 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chojin
I use VirtuaNES now. Look on zophar's domain for a better emulator than what you have now.
Hey, that one has a lot of functions I've been looking for. The colors are a bit off, though. Anybody know where to get a good NES palette?
Asspunch McGruf
Old May 22nd, 2005, 05:09 PM       
Just discovered another problem:

I downloaded FCEultra, it seems to be the only emulator that plays Castlevania 3 perfectly (something not even NESter or NESticle can handle, unless there are new versions like Chojin mentioned since last time I tried) but either it's just my computer or FCEUltra sucks, as I can save states but it won't LOAD states.
Mocker
Old May 22nd, 2005, 06:10 PM       
FCE is really good, but I haven't been able to use it since I upgraded my graphics drivers. Quickload should be the F7 key. If that doesn't work, maybe the config file is fucked or something. The newest version has a version number ending with 12, is that the one you've got?
Asspunch McGruf
Old May 22nd, 2005, 06:50 PM       
well I'm not so sure it's the version being incompatible as much as my computer being retarded.

It will save the state and confirm it. However, when I attempt to load the save the menu will pop up and my savestate folder will be empty.

Using the search command comfirms that the save files are indeed there but either FCEUltra or the computer itself doesn't recognize it.

(edit: Quickload is F7, what is the Quicksave key? I wouldn't ask but I've looked in all the options menues, etc. and they don't have a ready list of keys I can find. Maybe quicksaves will eliminate the whole problem altogether.)
Mocker
Old May 22nd, 2005, 07:07 PM       
F5.
Forum Virgin
ehguacho is probably a spambot
Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 11:30 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skulhedface View Post
This topic is for those of us unfortunate enough to no longer have our original NES (or whatever system you choose) and play our classics through the magic of ROMs and emulators but have experienced a frustrating side effect:

The dreaded incompatible ROM.

Back in the day, when I was a wee lad attempting to tackle Fester's Quest, it couldn't be done. Maybe it was before my gaming skills had fully developed, but I couldn't even manage to make it to the first house.

Fast forward a decade or so...

Thanks to the magic of emulators, I once again make a valiant attempt to tackle Fester's Quest, and am kicking much more ass than in years gone by...

...and just when I start to get good and cocky, I select a key to open up the first house and *CRASH*. My emulator restarts the game from the title screen.

This thread has two purposes. One is the rather specific question, is there an emulator that Fester's Quest works with better results on? Just as a heads up I use NESter.

Secondly, have you flown through a game recently, battled towards the end, and almost beaten it only to have the emulator throw the dreaded "unsupported" error at you? If so, what game/emulator combination have you had the worst experience with?

Off the top of my head I can only think of two, both with NESter:

1. Fester's Quest, which will restart your game the second you use a key on one of the dungeons

2. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (NES)... making it all the way to the Technodrome at the end of Level 5 and kicking ass, only to have it move along the screen and suddenly crash my emulation because apparently NESter can't handle a goddamned Technodrome.
probably the game is not correctly dumped, you might download the game from another site. fester's quest is a popular game, you might find it everywhere

about the emulator, you should know that NESter is not a very good one
try VirtualNES, that an AWESOME nes emulator. it has been developed by Marat Fayzulin, a legend of the emulators programing.
there is also an emulator called LoopyNES, very simple and with bad looking, but that emulators really rocks. provides the most accurate emulation i'v ever seen!