Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > General Blabber
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

after enough bourbon ...
Colonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's army
Old Jun 19th, 2009, 10:38 PM        Science!
Taking Tadao's implicit advice ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by elx View Post
I understand inertial propulsion, i'm slightly insulted that you assumed I had never previously learned of it. It's not all that fascinating to me either, but that's just because i'm more interested in the universe than physics itself.
With all due respect, you say you are not interested in physics, only in the universe, but to really understand and study the universe, you first will need to master basic and advanced physics. Classical Mechanics, Electromagnetism, Quantum Mechanics all are precursor courses to Astrophysics. I know that you want what you want, but in order to study effectively you need the foundation first.

Quote:
also, i do still believe that every action has a reaction and every cause has an effect - so i'd be more than happy to debate that last bit with you.
My expertise is in Chemical Physics (spectroscopy, lasers and quantum phenomena), and classical mechanics was a basic weakness of mine in college. However, I'm game, if you are willing to keep an open mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by executioneer View Post
i think getting space elevators to work and making ion propulsion more efficient are more practical goals to work for
I concur.

Quote:
yeah a space elevator is a elevator to space, its cheaper than launching shuttles all the time (or should be!) + if we get efficient space travel we can like mine the asteroids or soem sh*t plus then people can vacation on mars or something idk
More than this, we could begin to construct substantive solar arrays in space, then beam the total collected energy back to earth in the form of microwaves. It would take a great deal of additional infrastructure, but the returns are obvious – NO MORE FOSSIL FUELS EVER!

Quote:
inertial drive, why not invent a perpetual motion device while you're at it D:
For all its established existence and ancient aphorisms (objects at rest tend to remain at rest blah blah blah) inertia is not well-understood at the quantum level. Some feel that the subatomic soup that everything moves through (a.k.a. virtual particles, made popular by R.P. Feynmann) gives rise to inertia. If true, then it may also be true that this soup can be somehow rearranged to make motion not only less difficult, but preferred. This is, I believe, the inherent basis for the idea of “inertial propulsion” (and it's not perpetual motion!)

Any other ideas?
You may already be there.

Last edited by Colonel Flagg : Dec 2nd, 2010 at 03:39 PM. Reason: I can't grammar anything :(
Egg
Dixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's army
Old Jun 19th, 2009, 10:53 PM       
I got a weird bump on my knee, it's kind of shaped like florida.
what is it?
do i need to see a doctor?
Mocker
elx is probably pretty okelx is probably pretty okelx is probably pretty okelx is probably pretty ok
Old Jun 19th, 2009, 11:04 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Flagg View Post
Taking Tadao's implicit advice ...
With all due respect, you say you are not interested in physics, only in the universe, but to really understand and study the universe, you first will need to master basic and advanced physics. Classical Mechanics, Electromagnetism, Quantum Mechanics all are precursor courses to Astrophysics. I know that you want what you want, but in order to study effectively you need the foundation first.
well sir, I did not say or intend to imply that I was not interested in physics, because I am very much so. I am going to become an astronomer, not an astrophysicist, but I'm used to saying 'astrophysicist' instead of 'astronomer' because people tend to confuse astronomy with astrology. much like if I said I wanted to become a 'cosmologist' people would automatically assume I meant a 'cosmetologist'. (although in most situations they are interchangeable so I guess I didn't really need to clarify!)

what I did say was that I was not interested in physics itself, in other words, physics alone does not fascinate me. I'm not looking forward to having to study exclusively in a physics undergraduate program. I like it when it's being applied to the universe, when it's helping me to learn and (somewhat) understand it. I like spending my nights outside with a telescope, or creating sky charts, not inside reading the general theory of relativity. what I love is astronomy, which is in essence, the science of everything - not just physics.
Egg
Dixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's army
Old Jun 19th, 2009, 11:05 PM       
DON'T IGNORE ME
I'M TRYING TO FUCK UP YOUR THREAD
Mocker
elx is probably pretty okelx is probably pretty okelx is probably pretty okelx is probably pretty ok
Old Jun 19th, 2009, 11:07 PM       
I believe this means you have breast cancer, if you'd like i'd be more than happy to help you with your self-examination.
Egg
Old Jun 19th, 2009, 11:09 PM       
THIS ISN'T OVER

ps-you're too young for me, no talk of your hands and my tits you little pervert
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Jun 19th, 2009, 11:12 PM       
Egg
Old Jun 19th, 2009, 11:13 PM       
i should have known
BOO! A SPOOPY GHOST :x
Esuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contest
Old Jun 20th, 2009, 12:01 AM       
Quote:
I am going to become an astronomer, not an astrophysicist, but I'm used to saying 'astrophysicist' instead of 'astronomer' because people tend to confuse astronomy with astrology.
This sentence is awful.

HELLO NERD THREAD HERE'S A GREAT SPACE JOKE ABOUT SPACE

WHAT DID THE SARCASTIC ARCTURUS SAY WHEN THREATENED BY SPICA?

"OH MAN, I'M SHAKING IN MY BOÖTES"

TomWritesAboutStuff.com - The #1 Worst Blog
hAS RUG-BURN
Evil Robot is probably a spambot
Old Jun 20th, 2009, 12:11 AM       
This thread sucks, lets make fun of it.
LOVES the tubal ligation!
Dimnos is probably a real personDimnos is probably a real person
Old Jun 20th, 2009, 01:47 AM       
BOO! A SPOOPY GHOST :x
Esuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contest
Old Jun 20th, 2009, 01:54 AM       
DID ANYONE KNOW THAT PULTO IS NOT A PLANET ANYMORE? :eeek

TomWritesAboutStuff.com - The #1 Worst Blog
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Jun 20th, 2009, 02:51 AM       
i read an article a while ago about how they were building a space elevator using a cable made out of buckys ;\

i also think that its great and would definitely save on the time, energy and convenience of getting into outerspace. It's probably one of the most important things in order for us to become space-faring.
IWORKFORTHEMAN:MAN
Misdemonar is probably a spambot
Old Jun 20th, 2009, 03:40 AM       
MAN
IWORKFORTHEMAN:MAN
Misdemonar is probably a spambot
Old Jun 20th, 2009, 03:41 AM       
WHAT THREAD IS THIS
Dogs Get Put Down
DevilWearsPrada is probably a spambot
Old Jun 20th, 2009, 04:39 AM       
serious homo magazines?
after enough bourbon ...
Colonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's army
Old Jun 20th, 2009, 06:08 AM       
Hey, I started this thread! OF COURSE IT SUCKS!!

elx - I'm trying to take you seriously, but you're making it quite difficult. Do you really think I would confuse Astronomy with Astrology?

I'm pointing out to you that you will need to learn and understand basic physics if you want to make any headway into Astrophysics. If you are just interested in observational astronomy, then all you really need is a telescope and a healthy imagination.
after enough bourbon ...
Old Jun 20th, 2009, 06:16 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnivore Is God View Post
I got a weird bump on my knee, it's kind of shaped like florida.
what is it?
A blood blister - next time before you knee someone where it counts, make sure they're not wearing a cup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnivore Is God View Post
do i need to see a doctor?
Dr. Pepper, maybe.
after enough bourbon ...
Old Jun 20th, 2009, 06:20 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahljorn View Post
i read an article a while ago about how they were building a space elevator using a cable made out of buckys ;\
Yes, currently this is the only material that MIGHT work. I believe this is still in the research phase, and that development is decades away.
Dogs Get Put Down
DevilWearsPrada is probably a spambot
Old Jun 20th, 2009, 06:27 AM       
Semisrspost, but isn't a structure that high doomed to collapse due to varying pressure of each layer of the atmosphere, plus the added rotation of the earth and obvious factors such as cosmic debris and small meteors?
after enough bourbon ...
Old Jun 20th, 2009, 06:49 AM       
The elevator would be in a geostationary orbit - no movement with respect to the earth's rotation. The other points you make are valid, which is why redundency needs to be designed into the construction.

The elevator at the bottom would be in effect a smallish cable in appearance, while at the top (the part in orbit) it would be roughly the size of a small building. Not only does it need to support the mass of whatever it's bringing up into orbit, but also the mass of the cable itself, which is monstrous.

Spider silk would probably work, if we could find a spider that BIG :arachnophobia
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Jun 20th, 2009, 08:16 AM       
they just need to use those goats that have been genetically modified to produce high quantities of spider-silk protein in their milk :heebie-jeebies
Egg
Old Jun 20th, 2009, 08:18 AM       
where are these goats and where can i get one or seven?
Mocker
Old Jun 20th, 2009, 11:46 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Flagg View Post
elx - I'm trying to take you seriously, but you're making it quite difficult. Do you really think I would confuse Astronomy with Astrology?
why would you assume that I thought that? I didn't tell you what I wanted to be, I told someone else and you commented on it. Even if you had asked, I didn't know you had any background in physics until you created this thread. All I said was just used to telling people that - as in, it's a habit.

Quote:
I'm pointing out to you that you will need to learn and understand basic physics if you want to make any headway into Astrophysics. If you are just interested in observational astronomy, then all you really need is a telescope and a healthy imagination.
Quote:
I'm not looking forward to having to study exclusively in a physics undergraduate program. I like it when it's being applied to the universe, when it's helping me to learn and (somewhat) understand it.
I have plans to major in a physics undergraduate program, as I said already..

Flagg- I believe that our communication skills are just not meshing well, this isn't going to work for me anymore.
Egg
Old Jun 20th, 2009, 11:52 AM       
elx, if my birthday is August 7th and my sun sign is leo what is my rising sign?
i get confused easy with the lunar/star sign things.
Also depending on the outcome of my signs, what signs should i avoid in my life. I already figured out virgos are bad for me, any others?