Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > General Blabber
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 01:48 AM       
I miss living in the countryside. Suburbia is boring to the point of maddness.

Here are some orchids in flower. There are plenty more where that came from.

teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 07:50 AM       
Orchids are beautiful. I have two at my mom's house, but my dad keeps over-watering them so they might not last long
Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 09:54 AM       
But are they meat-eating orchids that forgive no one just yet?
...Pause at the Beginning
Aaarg is probably pretty okAaarg is probably pretty okAaarg is probably pretty okAaarg is probably pretty ok
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 04:47 PM       

I liked the way those clouds looked. Especially because in every other direction there were storm clouds.
teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 07:43 PM       
it looks like one of those "identify the cloud types" drawings you get in 3rd and 4th grade.
Aaarg is probably pretty okAaarg is probably pretty okAaarg is probably pretty okAaarg is probably pretty ok
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 07:48 PM       
Haha, I was thinking that too when I took it. Well, kind of.

The rest of the clouds looked like this:
Esq.
stevetothepast is probably a spambot
Old Sep 28th, 2009, 06:58 PM       
Are these pictures you've taken Aaarg?

If I had some of those views at my disposal I'd be a happy man. Shits beautiful as FUCK.
teacup of sunshine
Old Sep 28th, 2009, 08:24 PM       
make with pics of the Anne of Green Gables tourists, steve. I know you've got 'em.

One time I was in a Niagara Falls gift shop and this group of Japanese tourists thought I was an Anne of Green Gables impersonator. They were all taking pictures of me. True story.

Fuck my red hair
Old Sep 28th, 2009, 10:38 PM       
Those are all pictures I've taken. The only one I've posted here that isn't is the picture of autumn colors.

I moved down here in May of this year, and yeah I'm much much much happier here than the DC suburb I grew up in or the shitty West Virginia city I lived in for a while.

Basically going in any direction for 15-30 minutes will bring you to somewhere worthwhile: The Blue Ridge Parkway, Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Cashiers/Highlands (the people and towns suck but the nature is fantastic).

That's the "highway" at the end of our street.

The driveway.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Sep 28th, 2009, 11:52 PM       
i should take some pictures of the nature around here :O
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Sep 29th, 2009, 08:23 AM       
I didn't take this picture but this is basically what i would take a picture of:
Old Sep 29th, 2009, 09:22 AM       
yiiiiikes.
teacup of sunshine
Old Sep 29th, 2009, 10:07 AM       
no wonder you're so pissy all the time.
Old Sep 29th, 2009, 10:27 AM       
no joke, if i lived in a wasteland i'd be the most miserable person ever.
Esq.
stevetothepast is probably a spambot
Old Sep 29th, 2009, 10:36 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsa View Post
make with pics of the Anne of Green Gables tourists, steve. I know you've got 'em.

One time I was in a Niagara Falls gift shop and this group of Japanese tourists thought I was an Anne of Green Gables impersonator. They were all taking pictures of me. True story.

Fuck my red hair
I can't complain about tourists too much, they give a lot into our little economy. but yeah... it gets pretty annoying in the heat of summer.

where abouts do you live Aaarg?
Old Sep 29th, 2009, 06:03 PM       
Near the southwestern corner of North Carolina.

In the dot!
BANNED

Old Sep 29th, 2009, 06:56 PM       
Quote:
no wonder you're so pissy all the time.

coming from the person with the highest pissy thread creation rate :O haha do you live in an ugly place too?
Old Sep 29th, 2009, 07:40 PM       
c'mon, she lives in ohio. . .
BANNED

Old Sep 30th, 2009, 07:01 AM       
I'm not sure if thats good or bad
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Oct 3rd, 2009, 09:27 AM       
Well I just got back from a whirlwind tour of Australia's Northern Terrirtory and New South Wales, so I have plenty of photos that I need to put in here when I can be bothered.
Old Oct 3rd, 2009, 09:51 AM       
Sweeeeet.
Old Oct 4th, 2009, 07:54 AM       
I didn't get to spend very long in the Northern Territory; I only got a little over a day in two different national parks, and that was it. The first one my female companion and I visited was Litchfield, just south of Darwin.

Darwin has the worst weather I have ever experienced so far in my life, by the way. 33 degree heat is hardly anything to worry about, but the air was so wet and humid we couldn't walk 50 meters down the road without needing to rest, drink water and complain. It was a chore to breathe. Anyway, Litchfield was about 35 celcius, but dry so it was nice.

First photo is of magnetic termite mounds. They look like gravestones. The termite nests act as huge sails that face East; maximizing morning and evening sun and minimizing it in the noon.

Cathedral termite mounds dotted the place too. They just build massive nests that get to be as big as trees and hundreds of years old.

More Litchfield.

Twin Falls; I swam there.

Twin falls was where I began my love affair with a reasonably large type of green arsed ant that when you licked it's abdomen it tasted like lime. For the next five days I licked these ants wherever I saw them

I think I might have known what this tree is called at some stage, but I can't remember. It is a parasite sucking on another tree.

Swam here too.

This plant is a carnivore. It attracts insects by smelling rather nice, then when they wander in to have a gander, they get stuck on the sticky, dew tipped hairs. The leaf then folds in on itself to consume it's victim. I think it's called a sun dew something or something. Maybe not.

More to come.
teacup of sunshine
Old Oct 4th, 2009, 09:38 AM       
drosera, sundew, yeah. Very cool I've only ever seen one, and not in the wild...just in a terrarium

Edit: the lime taste (lime because it's green?) is formic acid. Ants squirt formic acid from their asses when they're threatened; I'm guessing having their asses licked is perceived as enough of a threat to give you that burst of lime flavor. Most people say it's lemony, so it's interesting you went with lime. The french word fourmi, ant, comes from the same root as formic acid.

Anyway, humans aren't the only ones who learned to take advantage of it. Certain species of birds practice something called "anting"...mostly jays, who are pretty intelligent although they're asshole birds. They antagonize the ants and stuff them under their feathers. The threatened ants squirt formic acid, and the acid kills the mites that are bothering the bird. As a consequence of anting, jays are typically pretty clean birds.

Last edited by Kitsa : Oct 4th, 2009 at 09:52 AM. Reason: adding some boring biology major shit on for your benefit
Old Oct 4th, 2009, 09:54 AM       
Alot of the time it's the small things (not always literaly) like that that can be the thing which interests you most. I didn't expect to see them there, because I had read about them and thought I remembered that they grew in boggy or marsh like areas. There were hundreds, and although most were only about ten centimeters across, there were a few as big as your hand. Or clusters of several plants, I should say.
teacup of sunshine
Old Oct 4th, 2009, 09:58 AM       
I like stumbling across plants in the wild that I'd only seen in books before. I remember when I came across some Viper's Bugloss in a waste area and being so excited. My field botany teacher encouraged me to harvest one for my pressings project, but was enough of an asshole to neglect to tell me that I needed to wear gloves.

Turns out that there are little poison spikes in the stems that protrude when the stem is compressed, injecting fun little squirts of poison into your hand, like nettles. I had a bad rash on my hands for days

No consequences from your self-anting?

Last edited by Kitsa : Oct 4th, 2009 at 07:24 PM. Reason: correcting my lousy spelling