your face is momentary

you hide your looks behind these scaaa-aaars

Quote:
THE MISFITS
(30th ANNIVERSARY TOUR)

ANAMIDE : AUDIO TERROR REGIME
SILENCE THE MYTH
8 PM DOORS - ALL AGES
Obviously danzig isn't singing. As long as some faggots are playing Last Caress on stage, i don't care who sings
Creepy Old Fart
JediScum is probably a spambot
Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 09:33 AM       
Even if it's this faggot?

Danskjävlar!
Mintrude is probably a spambot
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 09:13 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediScum View Post
Even if it's this faggot?

You are sooooooooooooooooooo metal Jaymz.
Banned
noob3 is probably a spambot
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 03:41 PM       
Metallica do great Misfits covers! I would much rather watch Metallica play an entire Misfits set than whatever shit spawn is going to actually be playing an entire Misfit set headling as The Misfits.
The Wrong Melon Farmer

Sacks is probably pretty okSacks is probably pretty okSacks is probably pretty ok
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 10:38 AM       
Misfits more like Jerry's Kids am I right you guys?

P.S. also the show here is 70 bucks, BUT JERRY ONLY IS ALL ABOUT KEEPING THE SCENE ALIVE.
NEW FACE IN HELL
Rongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's army
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 09:00 PM       
fuck the misfits
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Guitar Woman is probably a real personGuitar Woman is probably a real person
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 09:17 PM       
I downloaded a few Misfits songs last night with this thread in mind.

I don't normally enjoy punk rock, but so far I <3 these guys. I'll probably pick up Static Age before the week is up.
The Wrong Melon Farmer

Sacks is probably pretty okSacks is probably pretty okSacks is probably pretty ok
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 09:25 PM       
YOU BETTER BE <3ing PRE '83 MISFITS OR I'M GOING TO COME TO THAT HOUSE OF YOURs AND PUNCHING THAT BIG NOSE SO HARD YOU'LL BE CHOKING ON IT
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 09:29 PM       
I got Last Caress, Halloween, Where Eagles Dare, and Helena.

I don't see what's wrong with the not-Danzig guy's singing and whatnot, but I'm gonna pretend I do.
Creepy Old Fart
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 12:09 AM       
I've honestly heard almost no post-Danzig Misfits, so I can't say if it's good or bad either way. But Sacks is right, real early Misfits kicks an ass so big, it needs its own zip code. "Legacy Of Brutality" is still one of my all-time favorite albums. The two anthologies are really good also, epsecially the second one, which had a lot of single tracks I could never find in the record stores back in the day.
Eyelobe is probably a spambot
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 01:31 AM       
I saw the new Misfits a few years ago - it was a fun show. Not as intense as I imagine the original Misfits, but still not bad. Jerry Only had a beer with a bunch of us and seemed like a really cool guy.
Evil ROMhacker
Jomb is probably a spambot
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 04:07 AM       
Guitar Woman - When you say you dont normally enjoy punk, what are the bands you've listened to which you considered punk? Maybe it's just me getting old, but I've thought all the supposed punk music I've heard from the last ten years or so was so much watered-down poser garbage. The best punk music was made in the late 70's and into the 80's. Back then it had originality and style. Being punk back then was about doing something different and giving the bird to the corporate bullshit which was (and still is) being foisting upon us. Seems like today all the music which is supposed to be punk sounds almost the same. It's all made for MTV pop-punk. Like they have a cookie cutter they cut these bands out of a mold with.
The Wrong Melon Farmer

Old Nov 16th, 2007, 12:11 PM       
JERRY ONLY MUST BE DESTROYED.
Creepy Old Fart
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 04:36 PM       
I don't think you're getting old Jomb. I haven't heard a decent band that called themselves "punk" since 1992, maybe 1993.
Evil ROMhacker
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 07:17 PM       
Coincidentilly GG Allin died in 1993. Maybe he took punk with him

In my opinion, what is going on here is that back then, when you were in a punk band you did'nt think you had a chance of getting on the radio, and sure as hell were'nt going to be on MTV. Chances were that you'd be scraping by just one step away from living in the gutter. Because money was'nt involved people were making the music they wanted to hear and did'nt care much if anyone else liked it. This made everything much more "real". Today it's all about making money, and carefully market managing your sound to appeal to as many people as possible.
The Wrong Melon Farmer

Old Nov 16th, 2007, 07:56 PM       
Fuck GG.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 10:41 PM       
The reason I don't like punk is because more often than not it bores me to tears
Old Nov 17th, 2007, 01:07 AM       
I recommend old Ramones, Clash, Black Flag, and maybe the Descendants (for that real pop-punk sound).

Remember, "Punk" started as a fashion statement - nothing has changed. We used to call the so-called "good shit" hardcore.
Evil ROMhacker
Old Nov 17th, 2007, 02:37 AM       
Sacks - GG is definitely not for everyone. Or even most people. Probably not for 95% of the people at least. But to me the man was a hero. There has never been such a shocking and hilarious frontman. He understood that rock music loses it's power when it's safe. He made it dangerous again for a short time.

Guitar Woman - I still have no idea which band or bands bored you to tears or if they were actually good punk rock or just posers or what. I've heard alot of so-called punk bands which bored me to tears to, but they were'nt the good stuff.

Eyelobe - When I think of hardcore, I'm thinking of a bunch of skinheads in New York with X's on their hands playing the same song over and over again, but maybe they just stole the term.
I'd go with all your recommendations and throw in Dead Kennedys, early Flipper, Minutemen, Crime, Testors, The Mentally Ill.....
Old Nov 17th, 2007, 02:50 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomb View Post
Sacks - GG is definitely not for everyone. Or even most people. Probably not for 95% of the people at least. But to me the man was a hero. There has never been such a shocking and hilarious frontman. He understood that rock music loses it's power when it's safe. He made it dangerous again for a short time.

Guitar Woman - I still have no idea which band or bands bored you to tears or if they were actually good punk rock or just posers or what. I've heard alot of so-called punk bands which bored me to tears to, but they were'nt the good stuff.

Eyelobe - When I think of hardcore, I'm thinking of a bunch of skinheads in New York with X's on their hands playing the same song over and over again, but maybe they just stole the term.
I'd go with all your recommendations and throw in Dead Kennedys, early Flipper, Minutemen, Crime, Testors, The Mentally Ill.....
You're absolutely right - the meathead idiots stole the term. Bad choice of words, maybe. How about "New Wave"? A lot of the good groups in the late 70s and early 80s preferred that one.

To add to this great list:

Minor Threat, The Exploited, DOA, Nomeansno, Fugazi...
Creepy Old Fart
Old Nov 17th, 2007, 10:16 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyelobe View Post
How about "No Wave"? A lot of the good groups in the late 70s and early 80s preferred that one.
The term "hardcore" does seem to have been commandeered by a lot of East Coast bands, particularly ones who sing about this "straight edge" rubbish. But it wasn't always so.

I stumbled across a decent documentary at the library a couple months ago, called "American Hardcore: The History of American Punk 1980 -1986". It's not definitive as there are a lot bands missing (Dead Kennedys and Misfits to name a couple) but it tells an interesting story.

Punk already existed but, a few bands in LA termed themselves "hardcore" punk. People who attended shows would rampage in the club, breaking shit. Soon the bands would tour, spreading "hardcore" to places like San Francisco, Nevada, and the Pacific Northwest. Eventually, it got to the East Coast where it really caught on with the bands Agnostic Front, Slapshot and others.

The whole "straight edge" thing was inadvertantly created in the DC scene, where a few people were rebelling against the idea that you had to rebel by alcohol and drug use, as they had seen so many stadium rocker fans doing.

There's more in the doc, it's a good watch, especially if you like Black Flag, Circle Jerks, Minor Threat, Bad Brains, Flipper, Adolescents, 7 Seconds, Agnostic Front and TSOL.
Lots of little interviews, some with people you'd never expect like Moby, who claims he was the lead singer for Flipper for one day!

Good on ya, eyelobe! No Means No has been one of my favorite bands for 15 years.

Sacks, I wouldn't fuck GG with my worst enemy's dick. I'd prolly catch the AIDS just by looking at his corpse.

And how come there's no mention of The Meatmen? Great band! Big Boys, The Dicks,
Scratch Acid and The Crucifucks also deserve mentioning in a Misfits thread.
The Wrong Melon Farmer

Old Nov 17th, 2007, 12:27 PM       
The Misfits weren't 'hardcore', which is why they weren't featured in that doc. I don't think you can really put them in any documentary that isn't a THE MISFITS: THE MISDOCUMENTARY because there is so much shit going on with that band that you couldn't get just a blurb from anyone anyway, except for Doyle because I don't think he knows how to talk. Thank Ian McKaye for making hardcore that fruity straight-edge shit. I hate that guy so much that if hate was people I'd be China.

The problem with GG lies in the fact that he was not immortal. When he was alive it was horrifying and scared away the pretenders but as soon as he died and that good 10 year buffer passed all these joker 15 year old kids who need a new name to drop because their mom knows more about Sid Vicious than they do come out of the fucking cracks. He becomes what he was trying to destroy. If as soon as he was in the ground everyone burned all of his records and never spoke of him again except in dark closets and secret clubs that held listening parties where everyone drank whiskey and kicked each other in the mouth with motorcycle boots it would be fine, but this isn't a perfect world and there are terrible assholes running around.
Creepy Old Fart
Old Nov 17th, 2007, 04:55 PM       
I've read a lot of bands weren't in the American Hardcore doc simply because they didn't give permission. Still, it would be FAR better to have a whole documentary just about the Misfits, as they seemed to be a huge phenomenon in the underground at the time. I seriously doubt that you could get Danzig, Doyle and Jerry Only in the same room now, though.

I actually have respect for Ian MacKaye, though. I got the chance to interview him in 1992 and "straight edge" was mentioned. He almost came apart. Saying something like, "What the Hell does that word even mean? I know it was I song I wrote but other than that, it's been totally taken out of context." I don't blame him for "sXe", I blame kids who turn one song into a movement. Kids like that should have themselves a nice, tall glass of Jonestown brand Kool-Aid.

I never really got into GG Allin's music. So, I'm indifferent to him except that I still wouldn't fuck him, even if he had "a wisp of cotton candy framing a paper cut" vagina, as Bill Hicks says.

Actually, anyone know why Danzig split from the Misfits? I was always fuzzy on the idea.
Evil ROMhacker
Old Nov 17th, 2007, 04:59 PM       
Eyelobe - How about no-wave? I like DNA. One of the things I like most about the early punk rock scene was that it was so diverse. There was a time when everything from Richard Helll & The Voidoids, Television, Pere Ubu, all the bands we've already mentioned, and even Talking Heads were sometimes seen as part of the punk scene. There was'nt a formula you had to use back then. Nowadays there is definitely a formula.

Jediscum - I saw that documentary to. I thought the Bad Brains had a particularly good showing on it, that early live footage of them was great.
I love Scratch Acid! That was a great band.

Sacks - You cant live by what 15 year olds are doing. The music and the live footage that remains speaks for itself. Nothing anybody can say or do can take away what GG Allin was. But he died just a few months to early. I wanted to see if he was actually going to go through with his ambition of committing suicide live on stage on Halloween.
Banned
noob3 is probably a spambot
Old Nov 17th, 2007, 05:09 PM       
this thread is so gay