Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > General Blabber
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Banned
noob3 is probably a spambot
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 11:16 AM        i can't get a job :x
does anyone else feel like they can't get a job? because as the name of this thread says, i can't either. i've been to 2 interviews this week, and one was like yeah come up for a follow up interview on monday and the other just flat out told me to never come back. it's cold & raining and I drive up to this place and they are like YEAH SORRY WE DIDN'T CALL YOU TO TELL YOU THIS BUT YOU ARE NOT HIRED THANKS FOR DRIVING OUT HERE IN THIS UGLY WEATHER! man why couldn't they have just called me and told me that :/

what's wrong with me, why do employers think that i am bad? i need some getting a job related advice, guys
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 11:26 AM       
omfg i have the same problem i've applied to at least 3 dozen places in the past few weeks and I've only gotten two callbacks only to have them tell me "we don't have the budget to hire anyone right now" :<
Banned
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 11:36 AM       
at this point in time i am going to have to like go make fences for people on craigslist
Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 12:36 PM       
I applied for a job at every single motherfucking business in the entire town, regularly distributed resumes and references, checked on my application status regularly, visited three job expos, applied at both our local employment agencies and carefully monitored businesses that I knew had high turnover rates.

After four months, I was only interviewed three times and finally got a job when family friends went out of their way to make room for me at their restaurant.
Level 29 ♂
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 12:38 PM       
It hasn't got shit to do with making a good impression at the interview or whatever, it's all about who you know.
Banned
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 12:45 PM       
i dotn have a resume and i have either quit or got fired from all the jobs i've worked at except one and that one got shut down so.. it's not like i have any references i know for a fact i could go get a job at mcdonalds or a grocery store, but i really don't want somone trying to pay me $6 an hour to work :/

i need to just go be a valet again but i think i have outstanding tickets D: that i can't pay because i don't have a job :X
Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 12:46 PM       
Who you know can help you cheat, but it's really be about 80% pure timing and luck.
Banned
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 12:51 PM       
WHAT IF I DON'T KNOW ANY ONE
Ancient Mariner
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 12:57 PM       
Then it's total luck. If you live in a small shithole like I am right now, try to predict where someone's going to get shitcanned next. Crappy local video rental stores are a good bet.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 01:56 PM       
Get a haircut, you scrubs. No one wants to hire someone who's going to be shedding all over the place.

Then start off with a job at McDonald's or some shit to prove that you CAN work. Making $6/hour is better than not getting paid at all. No one's going to pay you $20/hour unless its your dad and he's trying to get tax write-offs.
Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 03:02 PM       
Also, don't tell them that you've been fired from every job you've ever had until AFTER they've hired you.

I hate this hacker crap!
MarioRPG is probably a real personMarioRPG is probably a real person
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 03:21 PM       
Cut your damn hair.

LOVE, YOUR FIJIAN HOST DAD

Alive is probably a spambot
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 03:53 PM       
yeah cut your hair, try to look the part -clean clothes shoes ect.. dont go in there with that 'i just smoked a bowl last night' look about you. smell decently too, the slightest wiff of questionable 'odour says mucho about your life style. like none of that bong resin beer stein cologne is what i mean. oh and the job market happens to stink right now so good luck.
Fartin's biggest fan
Perndog is probably a spambot
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 04:28 PM       
Don't cut your hair, just wash it and dress nice. Then call every temp agency in town. If you live in a respectable-sized city there should be at least a couple. Minneapolis has like ten. And half of them hire entry-level employees with no specific skills for upwards of $10 an hour. The great thing about temp jobs is that you can quit with no reason and no notice given and then find another one. The bad thing is that employers can drop you with no reason and no notice too. Not much security, but it's work, and you don't have to struggle for an interview because the agency takes care of that for you. Then eventually, if you don't have any bigger plans, one of your employers is bound to give you an actual permanent job offer (I've worked four temp jobs and three of them wanted me to stay on permanently).

The other good option is to see what massive corporations have headquarters in your area and apply for their basic trained-monkey office jobs. Here in Minneapolis, Target, 3M, Wells Fargo and US Bank (and others to lesser degrees) hire ungodly numbers of employees from applications submitted on the Internet.
MAMA MIA!
Terra is probably a spambot
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 07:33 PM       
So in other words, stop bitching and making threads about it and apply online.

Otherwise, hit the road and start at Mickey D's. I mean, fuck. It's a start, you lazy ass. A shower wouldn't hurt either, just so you know.
Resident Lurker
DuFresne is probably a spambot
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 08:24 PM       
A lot of big retail chains (Wal-Mart is notorious for this) will not even look at your application unless you have given a reference or two. Work the crappy food-service jobs for awhile, then try for something less shitty. Especially if you have tickets and (I assume) bills to pay, then make like Calvin and get a Mcjob quick-like.

Custom User Title
Kant spelz is probably a spambot
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 07:06 PM       
Here's what I did:
know somebody.
Stone Pants Rabbit
Cosmo Electrolux is probably a spambot
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 07:34 PM       
look...posting in every thread on the board won't get you your fucking custom title.
Evil ROMhacker
Jomb is probably a spambot
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 07:50 PM       
Do you have any notable skills, interests, goals... that sort of thing?

Maybe you could start your own business and be your own boss? That's what I did when no one would hire me
Custom User Title
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 07:57 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo Electrolux View Post
look...posting in every thread on the board won't get you your fucking custom title.
Sweet, here for an hour and I already have someone following my posts.

I finally made it big mom.
Level 29 ♂
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 08:00 PM       
I'm thinking of resigning myself to Wal-Mart.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 08:03 PM       
Don't tell 'em you've quit, either, because they'll think that you'll quit on them, too.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 08:07 PM       
EDIT: Ooops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emu View Post
I'm thinking of resigning myself to Wal-Mart.
If you do, get yourself a nice nighttime restocking position. My mom's friend has it and all she does is stack lipstick and other cosmetics at 3 in the morning and she doesn't have to deal with bitchy customers then. Of course, the only real reason why she took it was so she could see her kids during the day, but I wouldn't mind doing something like that at night.
Level 29 ♂
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 08:17 PM       
I might do that. I'm up all hours of the night anyway.
Custom User Title
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 08:22 PM       
If you can pass a criminal background check, I know a lot of retard farms hire all types of peoples.
Some even pay you to sleep at their places.
Fuck yeah.
I just realized I did not in fact pass a criminal background check, and I still got hired at one.
It's so easy and they are so desperate for people.

Last edited by Kant spelz : Oct 23rd, 2007 at 08:23 PM. Reason: grammar