Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cranberry Everything
dextire is probably a spambot
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 08:12 PM        Ubisoft's new DRM hates you.
According to TechSpot, Ubisoft's new DRM requires you to be constantly connected to the internet no matter what.
This is so the DRM can run all the time in the background, and continuously check-in to make sure you're not a pirate.

If you temporarily lose your connection for any reason, you're kicked off without saving your game.
So if you have a server reset, ISP screw-up, wind, cow, or any number of a thousand things happen that makes your internet temporarily blip, and your game is gone.

So let's see...
Legitimate Users: treated like criminals, possible installation troubles from DRM, constant internet and computer resources taken just for DRM, internet blips and game is lost.
Pirates: game is free, no DRM, easier to install, less resource intensive, can play internet or not, and more likely a better user experience all around.

This is so stupid.

Last edited by dextire : Feb 18th, 2010 at 11:02 PM. Reason: There's no longer a to to see.
BOO! A SPOOPY GHOST :x
Esuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contest
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 08:51 PM       
I approve!

TomWritesAboutStuff.com - The #1 Worst Blog
taco loving zombie
darkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty ok
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 09:49 PM       
they might as well send some one to watch you while you play

SANTO el enmascarado de plata
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 11:50 PM       
I don't see the problem, maybe you can invest in a cow/wind proof internet service.
Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 12:12 AM       
It's a problem mainly because it's far more restrictive than the occasional checks more and more games have now, which in turn were more restrictive than the old methods of just entering in a CD key.

Bad weather could knock out your connection, or your router might need to be reset. Either way, you get kicked out of your game. That's just on your end; if Ubisoft has a problem with their servers, that means you're SOL until whenever they can get their shit together. In short, it means that people wanting to play single player games would be subject to many of the same hassles you'd expect from an MMO.

That's just the connection problems. The other problem is that, while they claim this is to combat piracy, I can't imagine it doing anything other than promoting it. Even if you decide to buy a copy, you can just download a crack for it that bypasses all their efforts and makes the whole thing an exercise in futility. Also, Ubisoft has traditionally had a great deal of trouble porting their games to the PC, but that's just my personal experience.

Maybe it's just an experiment to see if they can drive themselves out of business.

OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 12:56 AM       
they should just go back to code wheels, fuck this
Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 12:57 AM       
If you want to see more posts from Willie, please enter the first word of the second paragraph on page 56 of the I-Mockery manual.

Cranberry Everything
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 01:14 AM       
*sigh* Does anyone have a scan of the manual?
I lost mine years ago when my little sister spilled juice all over it.

I wish they would just stop this stupid copy protection crap.
It's not like it screws with anyone except legitimate customers.
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 01:17 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Boogie View Post
It's a problem mainly because blah blah blah
I bet you say "lag kill" a lot and people with a higher ping are "hackers".
Funky Dynamite
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 03:51 AM       
All I'm saying is that my Linksys router needs to be unplugged and replugged every now and then, if for no better reason than to remind it who runs things.

I didn't realize that "replugged" was a word, but Firefox thinks that it is.

Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 10:55 AM       
Man I NEVER used to pirate games. NEVER. But this constant shit with having to start windows live accounts and HAVING to download the latest patch or else you can't play bullshit is starting to turn me.

Fuck you all except for Skullptura.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 11:57 AM       
I talked about it in my copy protection thread, but Steam is great. I lurve it and all the Valve titles. I also love Good Ole Games, too. DRM-free, so I've had one installer on my passport drive and put Fallout on three of my computers without any problem. It also keeps me from sharing the games actually, because I think it's cool that they do that.

Whereas I'll probably never buy Assassin's Creed 2, even if I want to play it. I've got a distaste for the system to where I won't buy a game from Ubisoft. I'd sooner pirate it.

Maybe that doesn't make a lot of sense. I dunno.
Cranberry Everything
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 12:51 PM       
I love Steam because they give me instant access to old games I never got to play, and it's cheap.

The problem I have with them is that for example, let's say some other company buys Steam.
And that company decides to change to a subscription plan to give you updates, patches, and of course, play your games.
Can you still play the games you bought if you don't pay for the subscription?

It basically comes down to: do you own the game you paid for, or are you renting it for an undisclosed amount of time?

Ubisoft's DRM is the same problem, they just escalate it to the point of stupidity.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 01:50 PM       
Well, the same with all DRM now. So that's not really relevant. You could say the same of .mp3s and music and eBooks and all the digital things.

And I would be willing to bet a lot of money on Valve never selling Steam. They make too much money that way, more so than with their games. Hostile takeover of Valve Corp.? I dunno. Is such a thing possible?

No games nowadays on the PC are able to be installed and played immediately without being verified as genuine, unless they're cracked.
Cranberry Everything
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 02:42 PM       
Are there any mp3s that still have DRM?
I agree that DRM is everywhere, and Valve isn't looking to sell Steam anytime soon, but it certainly could happen.

EA is already the distributor, and could decide to buy Steam (or even Valve) in order to put all of EA's games online.
Then they implement some system that leaves users the choice to pay more, or pirate in order to play the games they already bought.

Many games still just need a CD-Key, but more are requiring an internet installation check-in, then some are starting the Steam style internet check-in every time you play, and now we have the constant internet check-in or you're kicked.

And all for something that doesn't even work.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 03:25 PM       
If these services and servers ever do go out of business, there'll always be talented people that'll reverse-engineer this stuff so you can play you've downloaded.

After all, even Valve's games are pirated. Look at all the Left 4 Dead 2 torrents out there.

I don't even know what your argument is anymore or why I'm talking about it. You're just stating facts and I'm getting irrationally angry.
☆☆☆☆☆
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 03:36 PM       
It's all a plot against inner city kids.
Token Bleeding Heart
LordSappington is probably a real personLordSappington is probably a real person
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 06:07 PM       
What happened to the good ol' days, when all you had to do was either enter your cd-key, and the company TRUSTED you?
I blame EA games, teenagers, and those damned Krauts.
Fun fact of the day: Macs recognize the word 'Kraut'. More proof Macs are evil.
Cranberry Everything
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 06:40 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathom Zero View Post
You're just stating facts and I'm getting irrationally angry.
That has to be one of my favorite responses of all-time.

From what I can tell:
We agree that Steam is awesome, DRM is everywhere, Ubisoft's is the worst yet, and pirates will always find a way.
And that's also exactly what we've been arguing about as well.
taco loving zombie
darkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty ok
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 08:10 PM       
krauts have nothing to do with this is the damn french

SANTO el enmascarado de plata
Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 05:03 AM       
What happened to those heady days of yore when you just got 1500 shareware titles on one disk and you played them until you were told to go to bed?
SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 04:12 PM       
They should get a DRMATOLOGIST.

Also, I don't know what a DRM is.
The Unicorn
Sam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contest
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 04:19 PM       
My ex was a DRM
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 05:33 PM       
DRM IS A GAY WORD FOR COPY PROTECTIONS