Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > General Blabber
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old Sep 21st, 2008, 06:14 PM        Annual pilgrimage to Foy's Halloween Wonderland! (lotsa pics)

In my version of Heaven, Foy's is right across the street from Jungle Jim's. It's one of those wonders you poor bastards outside Ohio may never get to experience, and that's truly a shame.

Despite having a tragically shitty online presence, Foy's still manages to be kickass. It started out as a general store, I think, and sort of morphed into a Halloween thing without entirely leaving the general store aspect behind. And it's not one store, but a whole series of stores that more or less takes up the entire block. There's one devoted to general-store stuff, one devoted to high-end props, one devoted to kids' costumes, and so on:

...I think it's safe to assume that a place that has demons capering on the roof and a guy vomiting toxic sludge by the front door is going to be worth a look.

To begin with, almost all of the stores are stuffed floor to ceiling with just about every kind of crap imaginable. An entire wall is devoted to "titty beads". Classy!

They've cleared out a bunch of candy-sales bowls and filled them with just about any little cheapo toy you could want. There's row upon row of that stuff, and if that doesn't satisfy you, there's row upon row of bigger stuff, floor to ceiling. I think you could literally spend all day in the place and still not see everything there was to see.

Hats, hats, hats! Heads to put in them!

After checking out at the penny candy counter and passing the puking guy on the way out, it's on to the next store:

You can live like a king for 10 bucks at the first place, but the second is more high-end props. And you never quite know when one is going to fly out at you. It's like a haunted house that's also a store. For 5 bucks, you can watch the guy in the chair get electrocuted.

...there are also several costume and makeup shops. I kinda liked the 666 satanic makeup.

How can you not love this place? My next mission is to go there at night...I think last year everything was open till midnight and some of the places are only open very late. I MUST EXPERIENCE IT ALL.

Last edited by Kitsa : Sep 21st, 2008 at 06:20 PM. Reason: holy shit some of these pic sizes fucked up when I hit save. I'm working on it.
Oozes machismo
pac-man is probably a spambot
Old Sep 21st, 2008, 07:42 PM       
This instantly made me think of the shop from Pee Wee's Big Adventure.
teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old Sep 21st, 2008, 08:26 PM       
Holy shit, you're right.
Resident Lurker
DuFresne is probably a spambot
Old Sep 21st, 2008, 09:04 PM       
That website is now one of my favorites on the whole internets.

teacup of sunshine
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 03:31 PM       
I'm guessing their kid did the website or something.
Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 12:39 PM       

Ok, I officially want to go there now.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 04:08 PM       
In my version of Heaven, I would live in Jungle Jim's.
rockfuckcunt
bigtimecow is probably pretty okbigtimecow is probably pretty okbigtimecow is probably pretty ok
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 04:26 PM       
the background on that site is creepy as fuckkkkkk
Pickled Patriarch
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 06:29 PM       
Does the store stay Halloweeny like that all year long or just for September/October?
teacup of sunshine
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 08:25 PM       
I've only been there in September and October, and I can vouch for them being halloweeny before halloween season really kicks in. I plan to ask to go there for my birthday in March, so we'll see.

I believe that there's just so very much Halloween crap that they could never take it all down. I think it probably stays that way most of the year, give or take a few of the external displays.

I know that it is open all year. If I manage to go again (I'm campaigning for later this week, with a family friend), I'll ask.
teacup of sunshine
Old Sep 28th, 2008, 12:32 AM       
Updated to add answer: yes, pretty much open all year, although it is tweaked for Christmas and Mardi Gras. Some external displays might be moved or removed.

Another update: The Ghostbusters car was nowhere in sight, but there was a spectacularly distasteful inflatable hearse in the house next to the town's funeral home.
teacup of sunshine
Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 12:18 AM       
Went back today and got more pics to share with you fine people.

This had appeared since last time, it was in a yard a few doors down. Pretty effort-intensive halloween display.

They'd changed their guy at the bottom of the old stairwell. This one is much better. They had a strobelight on him and I took a badass video clip, which I'd turn into a gif but I'm tired.

...and this, which I bought in the general store and can't figure out at all:

Oozes machismo
pac-man is probably a spambot
Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 12:56 AM       
The aliens look like they're leaving church.
teacup of sunshine
Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 01:03 AM       
They really do.
SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 01:50 PM       
This place looks amazing. Way too far away though.

I've seen this guy before in person. Pretty insane.
teacup of sunshine
Old Oct 4th, 2011, 04:39 PM       
Bumping this to add some pictures of new stuff they've put up.

They've gotten kind of dickier about pictures. There are big signs up that say NO CAMERAS everywhere. I don't quite get that, because I don't think their monopoly on Halloween stuff (or downtown Fairborn, for that matter) is in any way threatened, and all publicity is good publicity.

They've added a couple of figures to the roof, including a Ghostface that points down at the sidewalk.

Couple of new things on the front of the Halloween prop shop.

Creepy new clowns.

Couple of big pumpkin-y things.

The Jeepers Creepers guy is new, and the Psycho Farmer Gorilla is now naked. I think. Unless this is a different one. They also have both animatronic barfing guys out this year...usually it's one or the other.

Zombie.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Oct 4th, 2011, 04:41 PM       
i dont understand why they wouldn't want people to take pictures ;/ prolly good advertisement.

are they scared people will make the shit on their own or something?
teacup of sunshine
Old Oct 4th, 2011, 04:59 PM       
No idea. The people in the haunted house prop place are particularly mean about it.
Pickled Patriarch
Old Oct 4th, 2011, 05:22 PM       
A lot of stores are like that. What they don't realize is that by not allowing people to take photos, it's not only ruining their chances for potential publicity, but it tends to make the customers not like them either... and that's surely not gonna help out sales.

Thanks for sharing the latest pics though, Kitsa!
teacup of sunshine
Old Oct 4th, 2011, 05:25 PM       
I agree with Mockery that it's kind of a shitty move PR-wise.

edit: I forgot to add that there are some more huge outdoor displays, in the area where the aliens were before. This year there are three huge pirate ships with animatronic pirates dancing on the decks. There's a cannon that emits periodic puffs of smoke. I meant to get pics, but I never got lined up right to get a good photo (the parking lot is in the middle of the street, so there's a lot of dashing around to get across safely).
Superior Electric Sheep
replicant is probably a spambot
Old Oct 4th, 2011, 11:44 PM       
OMG! That's what I call heaven, that store... nice!
The Glum Cunt
k0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contest
Old Oct 5th, 2011, 06:45 AM       
How big is their cape selection that they advertise it out on the front of the building? I really wish capes would come back into style. I don't know of their modern day usage, but I really would like to see every other person walking down the street in one.
The Glum Cunt
k0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contest
Old Oct 5th, 2011, 07:20 AM       
I wanted to buy a monocle but they're more expensive that regular glasses, for ones that are actually functional. And none of them come in my strength, the lowest one. +1.00