FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old May 18th, 2006, 10:39 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by AChimp
http://curmudgeongamer.com/2006/05/history-of-console-prices-or-500-aint.html
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old May 19th, 2006, 10:10 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Arcade
I thought four hundred dollars was pretty fucked when we got our 360s. Indeed, I pretty much considered it the ceiling. It should be the ceiling. I'm aware there is a chart out there showing the price of all consoles adjusted for inflation, and where the PS3 lands in the matrix. This would be great if I were buying it with money I used to have, or perhaps spending valuable, inflation adjusted "Future Bucks."
I love Tycho :<
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old May 19th, 2006, 10:51 PM       
Yeah, I think that graph is highly misleading. 600 bucks is 600 bucks, regardless of how it compares with other systems.

Besides, all that graph really tells me is that my SNES was a really good buy.
Striped Tomato
Zebra 3 is probably a spambot
Old May 20th, 2006, 09:54 PM       
- Intellivision II and Coleco Telstar Pong aren't listed on the fuckin' chart!
Mocker
thebiggameover is probably a spambot
Old May 22nd, 2006, 12:11 AM       
i think its funny how a 2600 is more than a ps3. but the one i think is cool is the first pic. i looks like all the high priced ones are the ones that fail.....
Whiter than Alabaster
the_dudefather is probably a spambot
Old May 22nd, 2006, 06:47 AM       
if i hear sony telling me its a bargin one more time....

wow yipee its got a blue ray player, which i dont want, and may never want if HD DVD becomes the domanant format, fair enough if it means better storage for games but in my eyes at the moment its like buying a nes with a built in betamax player for twice the price

was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old May 22nd, 2006, 11:55 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chojin
blue-ray functionality on a system is roughly as important as the ability to play betamax casettes and/or 8-tracks.
I wish I had thought to make a betamax joke first!
Royal Tenenbaum is probably a spambot
Old May 22nd, 2006, 02:29 PM       
HD DVD will not win this format war. It would be impossible. All major film studios support Blu-Ray. Blu-Ray is a superior quality format. Sony owns a film studio, that will not support HD-DVD. The PS3 is going to have a massive installed base of people that will buy Blu-Ray discs. No question, the Blu-Ray functionality is awesome. Mark my words, all the beta max comparisons are just fucking retards that know shit all.
Marc Summers is probably a spambot
Old May 22nd, 2006, 02:49 PM       
I found this article to give a fairly decent comparison:
http://www.engadget.com/2005/09/19/b...on-s-division/
was never good
Old May 22nd, 2006, 05:23 PM       
SSA:

HD DVD will not win this format war.
AI was the best movie ever.

It would be impossible.
To top AI.

All major film studios support Blu-Ray.
Except for the ones that don't.

Blu-Ray is a superior quality format.
That also costs more and no-one aside from you and me knows about.

Sony owns a film studio, that will not support HD-DVD.
Oh dear! We're running out of those!

The PS3 is going to have a massive installed base of people that will buy Blu-Ray discs.
I assume by 'installed' you are referring to the human-like robots that Sony will install in major malls and message forums to talk about how completely worth it their $600 system really is.

No question, the Blu-Ray functionality is awesome.
THERE IS NO ARGUING THIS. THIS IS THE WAY THINGS ARE.

Mark my words, all the beta max comparisons are just fucking retards that know shit all.
Betamax was also a superior format that cost more than the competition. What do you know!

HD DVD will win in my opinion because people have already associated 'HD' with 'Better' from HD TV and HD Radio. Ask any lay person who would be in the target market for a new video player what a blue ray is and they'll point you to an aquarium.

HD-DVD has everything VHS had over its competition and more. It's not even a contest at this point, although using Blue-Ray as a console gaming apparatus is OK by me! Like the Dreamcast's GD-ROM.
Whiter than Alabaster
Old May 22nd, 2006, 05:33 PM       
in my view the problem is that there is still doubt over the better format, in the ps2 era DVD was already established to a degree without any other major formats (with movies like the matrix launching a thousand dvd players) and as far as i can tell the first consumer blue ray player will be the PS3, and despite that it is more likely to 'win' over HD DVD, i would rather not gamble that much money on a product unless I know its going to be the better supported one.

in the end i hope one of the formats, hd-dvd or blu-ray vanish quickly as i dont want to juggle 2 different formats for movies.

(oh and if we are going to stop using betamax references i guess we could use UMD instead :P)

Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Guitar Woman is probably a real personGuitar Woman is probably a real person
Old May 22nd, 2006, 05:34 PM       
hey guys, who really gives a crap about hardware as long as we get to watch the movies?
was never good
Old May 22nd, 2006, 05:40 PM       
she's right guys, what are we doing, arguing on the internet and all? and on a mockery site, no less?

HOW COULD WE BE SO SHORT-SIGHTED.
Whiter than Alabaster
Old May 22nd, 2006, 05:59 PM       
i wish hd-quality movies were easier to download, and that my pc was good enough to play them full speed, then i wouldnt have to worry

and its not a question of am i getting a PS3, just when am i getting it