Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Hitler's Canoe!
MetalMilitia is probably a spambot
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 06:53 PM        S.T.A.L.K.E.R
So it's finally been released and it's not that great. Reviews score it in the high 80%s but after playing for a few hours I'm not hugely impressed; more frustrated than anything.
I have a feeling the game is going to get better but it's kind of buggy and the weapons arn't great (so far).
Banned
Location: Illinois, Alberta, Canada, Thailand, Space, Groundling Marsh, Manhattan, Man Hat Ton
ArrowX sucks
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 01:37 AM       
Agreed its a fucking waste. How the fuck did this game take nearly a decade to release? Granted I'm only on the Multiplayer beta, and I know full well its not representative of the finished game I'm not even gonna bother. The best part is the 3/4 second delay between clicking the mouse and the firing of your gun. That and the game is over gritty making everything look like it spackled with baby shit. I feel physically sick in my stomach while playing this.
Hitler's Canoe!
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 08:26 PM       
I was wrong about this game. I think my problem was that I was playing it like a FPS. As soon as I started playing it like an RPG it got a whole lot more fun. Some of the horror-type sequences are fantastic, too. Really Doom 3-esc but even more 'edge of your seat'.

The whole inventory/weapons system is really cool. You can do stuff like pick up fallen enemies guns and pull off attachments (scopes grenade launchers etc) and remove ammunition and put them on/in your own gun. Also searching dead enemies will usually turn up ammo, food, bandages and all sorts of other useful junk.

It's a HUGE game and it's really fun exploring the maps, mainly because the art style is so well done but also because you can find some really cool items.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 08:46 PM       
Real life Stalkers of Chernobyl go around scavenging things from the site, like antiques. It makes sense that you can pick things up like the scopes and such to upgrade.

I like the grim atmosphere, too.

Here's another game to add to my really cool list of games I'd buy.
Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 01:04 AM       
How is it in terms of bugs? I heard some reviews saying that it was buggy, but then they said that it was buggy on Vista. Are there any problems on XP?

Banned
Location: Illinois, Alberta, Canada, Thailand, Space, Groundling Marsh, Manhattan, Man Hat Ton
ArrowX sucks
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 09:03 AM       
I haven't run into too many bugs as of yet in the beta.

I do like the "Anomalies system" its one of the more unique features. Imagine walking along then noticing the ground in front of you is moving like the predators cloaking thingy then WHAP your crushed into paste by the gravity well you walked into. Some of them are pretty sweet like the lightning one. Once some douche was chasing me with the "zone rail gun" and then BOOM he gets blasted by this lightning that came from the ground and gets sent 30 feet into the air.
Hitler's Canoe!
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 05:04 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Boogie View Post
How is it in terms of bugs? I heard some reviews saying that it was buggy, but then they said that it was buggy on Vista. Are there any problems on XP?
Well I'm running Vista so I can't really say what it's like on XP but in my experience the game is pretty buggy. Not massively (like boiling point : Road to hell) but I've been getting some weird crashes and such recently.

That said I'm still enjoying it. I've managed to snag some good gear which has made combat much easier, although I'm still hunting for a decent sniper rifle.
Son of a Sandworm??!
timrpgland is probably a spambot
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 03:22 PM       
This was on my watch list. I still want to try it out. Thanks for the info.

XBOX LIVE: KefkaGrim
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 11:03 PM       
yea guys this is on my buy list
my one-click list if you know what i mean
from amazon.
Hitler's Canoe!
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 11:49 PM       
I'm getting closer to the reactor and the horror sections are pretty intense. Walking round a corner and having a blood sucker jump into your face isn't a pleasant experience. It's just a shame there are a few bugs which can ruin some of the scripted sequences.

Oh and I found a good sniper rifle, it's like a Druganov with a black stock. Ammo is scarce but nailing enemies in the head from across the map is a blast.
Banned
ArrowX sucks
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 01:23 AM       
I'll be picking this up tomorrow probably. The beta doesn't give me enough.
Banned
ArrowX sucks
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 03:04 PM       
I just picked it up and am agreeing heavily with mietalmilitia about you need to play it and get a feel for it to start enjoying it. I'm not hugely impressed with multi but the singleplayer is a great experience so far.

I'm just wondering, metalmilitia are you afraid of the day night cycle yet? I'm over in this one town and right now its night and I'm afraid to leave the spot I'm holed up in until morning because theres like 4 or 5 of these scary guys who are invisible at night and look like the super vampires from blade 2 wandering the streets.

Also where'd you find a good sniper rifle?

Also Toning down the number of anomolies in some areas would be much appreciated in the next patch.
Hitler's Canoe!
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 03:17 PM       
I was several hours into the game before I got any good guns really. I got my sniper rifle from a bandit during the mission were you need to turn off the brain scorchers. You could probably find one before that though.

I either haven't noticed or experienced the night cycle yet, which is weird as I've played for a good 10+ hours.

The arena in a stalker outpost is cool too. You can make a load of money in there. It's a shame they don't pit you against monsters though.
Banned
ArrowX sucks
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 05:38 PM       
I'm just into the garbages right now. so far all I have is a Prototype Fort 15, Ak47SU/w silencer, an MP5, the sawed off shotgun, and a hand full of grenades.

I also stormed that military base behind the first town where you start. It was hard but now I have tons of AK ammo.

Shifty is probably a spambot
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 02:49 AM       
i got it but i hate radiation. i killed a military group and was reading my PDA after and i got killed by radiation

Cliff burton Gotta love the best metal bassist to get crushed by a bus.
Hitler's Canoe!
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 07:56 AM       
You can get a really good suit from the scientists in one of the main story missions, which is somewhat radiation proof. Also one of the common anomalies (kind of orange round thing) will reduce radiation.
Whiter than Alabaster
the_dudefather is probably a spambot
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 08:29 AM       
will have to give this a go once I finish damn uni work

Banned
ArrowX sucks
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 12:13 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty View Post
i got it but i hate radiation. i killed a military group and was reading my PDA after and i got killed by radiation
That would be the springboard.

I'm kinda pissed off about the fact that they removed vehicles from the game Because it makes backtracking a chore when your carrying too much stuff and you can only run for like 20 meters.

I just went through the Agrocom place where you and about 10 other stalkers have to hold off the army and rescue mole. It was intense. I love the firefights in the urban areas, because the AI doesn't usually toss itself at you so you need to work for kills. Plus the only armor I have is this custom Bandit stuff I found.
The Wrong Melon Farmer

Sacks is probably pretty okSacks is probably pretty okSacks is probably pretty ok
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 12:19 PM       
That guitar makes me want to play it. Can you pick it up and run around with it on your back? Can you pull some of that aggro El Kabong shit on some motherfuckers?
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 12:45 PM       
is anybody running this on a low end system?
i have like a 2ghz processor and a 256 mb 6600 xfx or something card but i think it might bea bit on the low side ;o
i heard this game was made to work with low end systems too though so im curious.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 12:53 PM       
If it's made to work with lower end systems, then I'm sold.
BANNED

Old Mar 24th, 2007, 01:36 PM       
yea it's supposed to come packaged with directx9 compatible stuff and directx8 and some other stuff but I'm not sure if that means i can run it though ;o
my system is so far in the pas.
Banned
ArrowX sucks
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 06:23 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacks View Post
That guitar makes me want to play it. Can you pick it up and run around with it on your back? Can you pull some of that aggro El Kabong shit on some motherfuckers?
Sadly you cannot play the guitar

I'm getting farther along now, I just raided a bandit fortress thing to save a Dutyer scout. During the crawls around the dark hallways I scavenged their armory, and found a Storm Obokan (sp) that has an under slung grenade launcher and a scope. and a sweet set of Duty armor that adds 50%-40% to each stat. Still no dedicated sniper.

BEST bandit name in history!

Sweet ass new AR

EDIT Added image of scary dog thing!

Last edited by ArrowX : Mar 25th, 2007 at 01:50 AM.
IWORKFORTHEMAN:MAN
Misdemonar is probably a spambot
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 07:22 PM       
is there a demo for this?

Shifty is probably a spambot
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 02:04 AM       
no there isnt, atleast from what i could find.

Cliff burton Gotta love the best metal bassist to get crushed by a bus.