Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > General Blabber
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

after enough bourbon ...
Colonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's army
Old May 6th, 2012, 08:02 PM       
I had a friend in high school who applied to Berklee School of Music. It's a good school for jazz, so I understood back in the day.
You may already be there.
after enough bourbon ...
Colonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's army
Old May 6th, 2012, 08:03 PM       
Don't worry about supermoon - we'll get another in a couple of years.

Saturday was a cloudy and rainy night in Philly.
You may already be there.
teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old May 6th, 2012, 09:30 PM       
Brendon Small went there, didn't he?
Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old May 6th, 2012, 09:52 PM       
People need to stop defending Berklee. It sounds rubbish, and that's enough.

I saw the super moon, it was pretty cool.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old May 6th, 2012, 10:25 PM       
agreed, i already ruled out going to ucla and ucsd because they aren't prestigious enough to have a school with one name. Harvard, Princeton, Cambridge.. all one name. Berk Lee just doesn't make the cut.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old May 6th, 2012, 10:56 PM       
San Diego Community College it is, then.
BOO! A SPOOPY GHOST :x
Esuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contest
Old May 7th, 2012, 01:58 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhukov View Post
People need to stop defending Berklee. It sounds rubbish, and that's enough.

I saw the super moon, it was pretty cool.
Supermoons are rubbish too. They happen all the time and the moon isn't THAT much bigger when it does. Catch the moon rising/setting on a particularly hazy summer day and then you'll see a big motherfucking moon.

TomWritesAboutStuff.com - The #1 Worst Blog
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old May 7th, 2012, 02:59 AM       
San Diego is two words

Esuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contest
Old May 7th, 2012, 03:18 AM       
HAVE YOU TRIED SUPERMOON UNIVERSITY. ONE WORD.

frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old May 7th, 2012, 04:50 AM       

Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old May 7th, 2012, 11:31 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esuohlim View Post
Supermoons are rubbish too. They happen all the time and the moon isn't THAT much bigger when it does. Catch the moon rising/setting on a particularly hazy summer day and then you'll see a big motherfucking moon.
The moon is closer to us in the southern hemisphere though, so I can understand why you think that.
BANNED

Old May 7th, 2012, 03:34 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esuohlim View Post
HAVE YOU TRIED SUPERMOON UNIVERSITY. ONE WORD.
i dont think my gpa is super enough
Näyttelijäbotti!
Pub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty ok
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 09:11 AM       
I don't remember if this got mentioned already.

http://www.fastcompany.com/1837966/m...sics-invention

A dynamic Casimir effect engine?
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 11:53 PM       
Sweetness.
teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old Jun 3rd, 2012, 12:13 AM       
She sounds awesome.
Old Jun 3rd, 2012, 01:16 AM       
THIS SOUNDS LIKE VAGUE BULLSHIT TO ME, FRIENDS

teacup of sunshine
Old Jun 3rd, 2012, 01:19 AM       
CAPS

I want to see how far she can go with it, actually. Probably further than Egypt.
Old Jun 3rd, 2012, 02:20 AM       
The thing is I was under the impression that the Casimir effect as a catalyst for space travel was already theorized a long time ago. And I can't find an article about this from a website that is even close to scientifically credible.

Plus, phrases like "...where two very reflective very flat plates are held close together, and then moved slightly to interact with the quantum particle sea. It's horribly technical, but the end result..." raise some red flags. From an engineering standpoint there is basically nothing technical about two reflective flat plates.

NERD SHIT. Anyway, there's a big difference between theoretical physics and what we can engineer as human beings. Quantum physics is basically all on the subatomic scale, where all kinds of crazy shit happens and requires a whole new set of rules apart from classical mechanics.

So yeah, you can theorize all you want but linking quantum physics with real-life macro applications is pretty much a pipe dream since quantum effects on a macro scale are negligible.

But then there's that goddamn double-slit experiment.

IT'S SHIFTY IS ALL.

frappez le cochon rouge
Old Jun 3rd, 2012, 02:28 AM       
I'd like to see a proof of concept, anyway. Shame you don't have to do that to patent something.
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Sethomas is probably a spambot
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 03:12 AM       
So yeah, you can theorize all you want but linking quantum physics with real-life macro applications is pretty much a pipe dream since quantum effects on a macro scale are negligible.

...wut?

Have you never walked inside of a hospital's medical imaging station? Magnetic resonance imaging is all quantum effects (inducing higher electron energy states to produce photons); positron emission tomography is the product of matter-antimatter collisions; CT scans and X-rays depend on the photoelectric effect to convert EM radiation into an intelligible electric signal. Hell, the computers have to factor in quantum tunneling from the Schrödinger Equation (which is as quantum as it gets) as a source of energy bleed. LEDs are macro applications of quantum effects, as are fluourescent bulbs for that matter.

If you haven't been paying attention, most of the innovations of post-WWII technology have made considerate use of quantum physics. I am guessing that you were just limiting your considerations to the outlandishly bizarre realm of quantum effects that occur near the Planck level. Even there you have to give credit to Hawking Radiation for saving us from the evil scientists at the LHC who would otherwise turn the Earth into a black hole. In more practical terms, conventional computing is getting to the point where More's Law will reach its limit because of the aforementioned barrier tunneling that takes place at the 10^1-2 nm scale.

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 03:37 AM       
Shit, gettin' Sethed is rough

I basically meant negligible with respect to kinematics in the macro world. I'm an engineer first, (shitty) physicist second. It just makes no sense to me that a "quantum particle sea" could be the driving mechanism behind propelling a space craft.

frappez le cochon rouge
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 05:49 AM       
I was going to post something like that, but I only eat lunch with physicists and engineers.
teacup of sunshine
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 06:19 AM       
I liked that he spelled out PET and then used the shortened CT. He's a man who knows where corners can be cut.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 06:03 PM       
Also, isn't gravity, even as weak a force as it is, stronger than this quantum propulsion business? The article talks about probes being tossed off course by the effects of the particles, but if that was what it was using to begin with, then I'd imagine it could be greatly affected by a number of conditions. You could account for the effects of gravity and such and plot a course through space in such a way that it could probably use the effects of gravity to propel itself, even, but there's no way something like this would be able to stand on its own two mediocre thrusting feet.

At least, to my astronomical knowledge.
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Sethomas is probably a spambot
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 01:56 AM       
I'm sorry Milhouse, I don't like to be a jerk

I kind of figured afterwards that you were probably just saying "quantum events don't manifest at the macro scale," which is something that I wish every stoner who ever quoted "What the Bleep do we Know?" would realize while shutting up forever.

FZ: Well, what's going on with the satellites that are leaving the solar system is that they were given a trajectory that was designed the in the way you're describing. I think that it wasn't until the late 90s or so that we had a reasonable guess about the average density of the current universe, but even so nobody had any reason to suspect that subatomic particles would prove to be such a nuisance in slowing the satellites down.

What you're describing sort of sounds like making something like a solar panel that uses gravitational force instead of electromagnetic force. The problem with doing that is that unlike electromagnetic force, gravity always has a fixed vector, so you're pretty limited in how you can convert potential energy to kinetic energy (or vice-versa) with gravity alone. A black hole will always pull foreign bodies towards itself, but an electron or proton can push or pull depending on what it's interacting with. If you meant something more analogous to the ability to use a rudder to harnass wind energy on a sailboat into any direction, I guess it's worth a try but that's a harder project than I'd want to tackle.

I think that I did once read about gravity producing "negative pressure" in certain situations, but it seemed highly speculative and probably only applied to the first few femtoseconds after the big bang.

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT