Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Comics 'n Books
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Hitler's Canoe!
MetalMilitia is probably a spambot
Old Dec 1st, 2008, 08:58 PM       
I used to know this guy that was always going on about these books. He was annoying to the point that you couldn't listen to him talk for longer than about 30 seconds. He did this especially annoying thing were he would kind of "blog" at you in real life. You'd have to listen to all his inane opinions on Terry Pratchett and the Nintendo Wii and then at the end he might let you make a comment which he would ignore.
If you tried to interject at any point throughout his IRL blog entry he would just ignore what you'd just said and continue with what he was saying previoussly even if it made no sense in the new context of the conversation.

Just to keep this comment on topic I have found this guy's blog and whadda-you-know one of the latest entries is on Terry Pratchet. Enjoy!

Quote:
The Fifth Elephant.
Hmm.
It's a book with the Nightwatch, Uberwald, and plenty of fat...fat in the sense of material which you can digest in your minds and feel energized.
If you hunger for Discworld, for it's constructive satire... hold on stop. I don't know any longer if I dwell on Pratchett's stuff out of its fantasy, philosophy, or comedy, but something new after this. Don't get me wrong there is nothing tiring about returning to see Carrot or Vimes in another situation with characters who seem anything but throwaways even if their chances of appearing in another book may be slight.
No there's the point: every Discworld character seems to have some instant development upon the reader which distinguishes them as characters rather than talking objects. More so is Discworld is now an education unto itself when discussing the history of human creative.
However the most durable thing about Discworld now is Vimes. He is, unquestionably, the defacto character to Pratchett's prose. Sure Death, Granny Weatherwax, and Rincewind, have their purpose to fronting many other books but Vimes is the most Discworld character in Discworld...he is the embodiment of what this world is about: unhinged, sturdy, and glued the wrong way but holds harder than most things done 'right'. It's these changes to our perception of fantasy which allows me to distinguish Pratchett as a writer of the highest definition and description.
Wow.