Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

NEW FACE IN HELL
Rongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's army
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 01:58 AM        Soul Calibur 2
I got it today, and it came with a free little art booklet thingy.

It's no where near as good as the first, but it's still great. The cheesy announcer voice isn't cheesy as the 1st. The combos are somewhat better, but it's harder to do ring outs. The mission mode is still really fun.

I got the xbox version. You?

NIGhtMAre is probably a spambot
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 10:24 AM       
I've never got to play soul caliber. I heard its good. Maybe one day

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 11:54 AM       
I never got to play the original either.

I remember James asking this a while back, but I don't think he ever got a straight answer: What makes Soul Caliber better than all the other fighting games on the market right now?
Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 01:09 PM       
What's Soul Caliber? I'm still happily playing "Battle Arena Toshinden 3" on my old Plastation.
NEW FACE IN HELL
Rongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's army
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 02:39 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Boogie
What makes Soul Caliber better than all the other fighting games on the market right now?
It's simplicity and...funness?

It's just a lot of fun. Especially with a big group of friends at eachother's throats.

Quote:
What's Soul Caliber? I'm still happily playing "Battle Arena Toshinden 3" on my old Plastation.
Imagine a GOOD 3D Samurai Showdown. Except with only one samurai and only one ninja :o
Mocker
Cap'n Crunch is probably a spambot
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 02:56 PM       
Is it worth the 50 bucks I might blow on it?
NEW FACE IN HELL
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 10:04 PM       
Yes. But only if you have friends.

I had a huge tournament with my friends tonight. Holy shit that was a blast. I handed everybody's ass to them with Rapheal. This game rocks my socks

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 01:19 PM       
Well, I rented it yesterday, and so far, I must say that I am not impressed.

I guess I was expecting to see this game that would revolutionize fighting games; one that would bring something new to the genre, and maybe even something that would attract casual fighting game fans such as myself.

There isn't much of that here, though. At its heart, it's still just another fighting game full of complex combos and fancy special moves.

Admittedly, I thought some of the special moves looked cool, but with the feature that demonstrates each move for you, I really don't even need to play the game to see all that.

Still, I've only played for a little bit so far. I'll give it a little more time to try and live up to its own tremendous hype.
NEW FACE IN HELL
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 04:43 PM       
Which console version did you rent?
MY DAD
MrAdventure is probably a real personMrAdventure is probably a real person
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 04:50 PM       
Only buy this game if you have a somewhat consistent amount of human competition to play against. The AI is improved over the first, but like most, if not all, fighting games it's meant to be player versus player.

I got my hands on the GC version, couldn't be happier.
Mocker

James sucks
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 05:02 PM       
I think Boogie and Adventure summed it up perfectly.

People brought my expectations very high up, by going on and on about it. And what I ended up seeing was "just another fighting game." If I had constant human players to go against, then it'd be fun. But that goes for any game in the genre.

The way I see it, you can spend $50 for an overhyped game, or $20 for Virtua Figher 4: Evolution. As much I as grumble at its complex fighting system, I'd prefer it over something where I can mash buttons, and beat anyone with luck. Besides, Evolution's supposed to have a "tutorial" to better make you familiar with the gameplay. I know that since VF4 was my first game in the series, I was lost with it's gameplay depth.
TERRIBLE BEAT
soundtest is probably a spambot
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 05:13 PM       
That's why I can't seem to get into 3D fighters in general. Maybe I've just been lucky, but to me they all seem like button mashers to varying degrees. In all the ones I've tried, I have yet to play against someone who knew wtf they were doing and not win at least 1 out of 3 matches by just mashing the buttons. That shit just doesn't happen in a good 2D fighter.
NEW FACE IN HELL
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 05:22 PM       
I agree with what most of you said. It's only really fun when you have a group of friend over and a few boxes of pizza. Single player is very "meh".

Although Weapon Master Mode is somewhat fun.

NOTINAGAYWAY is probably a spambot
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 05:24 PM       
Rongi, you didn't invite me to play Soul Caliber. And I'm too poor to buy it.
NEW FACE IN HELL
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 05:37 PM       
I would have, but I forgot your number. Send it to me on aim, >;