Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Sports & Health
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Guitar Woman is probably a real personGuitar Woman is probably a real person
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 07:48 AM        So, boxing.
I'm cutting my teeth on boxing with the current run I guess you'd call it since about last month. I saw Angulo vs. Cintron, Urango vs. Berto, and just now caught Cotto vs. Clottey; all of these were Welterweight fights, which, for the uninformed, is below middleweight and above like 4 other weight classes. Basically it's guys who are between 140 and 147 pounds.

The first two were good, albiet one-sided fights, and the way all the fighters got off with nothing worse than a pinprick above an eyelid or a shiner lulled me into a false sense of security for Cotto vs. Clottey last night, which was brutal and a great fucking fight.

All 12 rounds are up on YouTube, but if you get HBO I'd reccommend getting it from OnDemand so it's not split up and gay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDpZE...eature=related

Spoilers!

Last edited by Guitar Woman : Jun 18th, 2009 at 08:23 AM.
Will chop you good.
sspadowsky is probably a spambot
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 06:59 PM       
Boxing has become almost unwatchable since the rise of MMA.
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 07:20 PM       
Are you saying that MMA is better to watch or that MMA has influenced boxing. I prefer a boxing match or a traditional martial art bout to any MMA bullshit anytime.
Will chop you good.
sspadowsky is probably a spambot
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 10:26 PM       
I think MMA is better to watch. It doesn't appear to be rife with corruption like the boxing world, and the fights are much more brutal. I like watching fights for knockouts, and they're much more frequent in MMA.

If they made boxers continue until someone got knocked out, I would probably dig it more. If you're going to enjoy people beating each other up, I wanna see 'em go the whole nine.
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 10:36 PM       
Yeah, the corruption really fucked up the sport

I like watching for those rare graceful moments. I don't get that same feeling with MMA.
☆☆☆☆☆
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 10:41 PM       
Then again, there are no more Sugar Ray's.
WHAT'S THIS?!
Pentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contest
Old Nov 16th, 2009, 01:01 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentegarn View Post
I am waiting for Paquiao vs. Mayweather
I may just get my wish

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns

Quote:
“Richard told me point blank, Bob Arum will be getting that call Monday,” Greenberg said. “He plans on meeting next week with Bob to make the Mayweather fight.”
God I hope so, I haven't wanted to watch a boxing match in a loooooong time, but I would watch this one without hesitation
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Guitar Woman is probably a real personGuitar Woman is probably a real person
Old Nov 16th, 2009, 02:27 PM       
I stopped watching boxing a while ago because HBO only shows it every 5 months or something, and when I hear about a fight and mark it on my calender I usually just forget about it, or something comes up the day it's broadcast. :/

I do like it, though.
WHAT'S THIS?!
Pentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contest
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 03:13 AM       
Sadly, I think boxing is officially dead since Pacquiao and Mayweather couldn't get their shit together and egos in check. This fight would have saved boxing, the flip side however is if you can't get the greatest fight since the Thrilla in Manilla done, you may as well pack it in because nobody will want to watch after such a failure.
Role Assigner
MattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's army
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 10:49 PM       
Boxing needs a giant purge.

I have a feeling that boxing will be on its last breath during its final hour when true boxing enthusiasts/promoters/fans/athletes will save it. They'll put on competitive fights to prove who indeed is the better man, the judging will be regulated more and held accountable for their decisions, greedy promoters will get chased off, all three million of boxing's belts will be unified into one or two leagues, there won't be 50 divisions, and the ancient art of boxing will again hold some type of weight or honor to those who train in it.

Just joking, boxing is fuc*ed
What Video Games?
Angryhydralisk is probably a spambot
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 12:51 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadao View Post
Yeah, the corruption really fucked up the sport

I like watching for those rare graceful moments. I don't get that same feeling with MMA.
MMA isn't immune to controversy either. Brock Lesnar getting the title in his 4th fight and the Machida vs. Rua fight. Rampage vs. Rashad.

I was looking forward to Pacquiao Vs. Mayweather, just to see Mayweather get knocked out. He's a good boxer, but a spoiled bitch. Especially when he beat Marquez, got called out by SHane Mosley, and then was booed out of the building despite being the WINNER. What killed me the most is he's the challenger going in and making all the demands.

Lastly, I did see Friday Night Fights on ESPN the other night and the main event did look fixed. Guy gets his ass kicked, then busts the other guy open and nicks him on the chin, ensuing a knockout. Kind of laughable really. It's a struggling sport, but IMO if it was DEAD, there would be no boxing at all. No promotions, no matches, NOTHING.

j/k fuck them
WHAT'S THIS?!
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 02:06 AM       
Well total nothingness is not required for something to be dead. After all disco is dead and yet the Bee Gees still make albums
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 03:58 AM       
Quote:
Lastly, I did see Friday Night Fights on ESPN the other night and the main event did look fixed. Guy gets his ass kicked, then busts the other guy open and nicks him on the chin, ensuing a knockout. Kind of laughable really.
I'm kind of ignorant about boxing and all these things you guys talk about but a nick to the chin is all it really takes
Darryl is probably a spambot
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 08:38 AM       
in real life, there aren't health bars.
you just need to cause enough trauma to the brain/brain stem to cause the knockout.

What Video Games?
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 02:12 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentegarn View Post
Well total nothingness is not required for something to be dead. After all disco is dead and yet the Bee Gees still make albums
Up until 2001, anyways.

I hear Ricky Hatton wants to do another fight.

j/k fuck them
say what now?
Geggy is probably a spambot
Old Feb 12th, 2010, 04:40 PM       

February 11, 1990, exactly 20 years ago yesterday. I watched it recorded on VHS on the day after... 20 years ago today. Those were the days when boxing was actually fun to watch.
WHAT'S THIS?!
Old Feb 12th, 2010, 06:01 PM       
Imma disagree with you. That match was fun to watch, but before that Tyson matches were, if you recall, 90 second wastes of 50 bucks. The middleweight division was somewhat entertaining in those days though. And Foreman coming out of retirement was watchable, but it was no Ali-Frasier era.
What Video Games?
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 10:38 AM       
Watched PTI interviewing Mayweather about the upcoming fight. The highlight to me was at the very end.

"Floyd....say PAcquiao."

"...

...Mosley."

j/k fuck them
Banned

TheCoolinator is probably a spambot
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 03:57 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadao View Post
Are you saying that MMA is better to watch or that MMA has influenced boxing. I prefer a boxing match or a traditional martial art bout to any MMA bullshit anytime.
I absolutely agree,

Boxing and other traditional martial arts competitions put the sloppy gladiatorial-esq MMA to shame.

I think the whole MMA craze is because it makes men feel macho and gives them the pseudo-sensation of being a rebel for watching something they aren't supposed.
Role Assigner
MattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's army
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 04:38 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCoolinator View Post
Boxing and other traditional martial arts competitions put the sloppy gladiatorial-esq MMA to shame.

I think the whole MMA craze is because it makes men feel macho and gives them the pseudo-sensation of being a rebel for watching something they aren't supposed.
So having two men stand in a ring and forcing them to hit each other in the face for 30+ minutes or until one KOs the other is OK, but if they can use their feet or a submission then it's "gladitorial?"

What is sloppy? Sure their boxing striking isn't on an elite boxing level, but that's because they have to be well rounded, so they have other things to worry about besides somebody only throwing punches at them.

I think the whole "MMA craze" is because it's a new exciting sport. How or why would anybody feel like a rebel for watching something that comes on CBS?
Banned

TheCoolinator is probably a spambot
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 05:00 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJack View Post
So having two men stand in a ring and forcing them to hit each other in the face for 30+ minutes or until one KOs the other is OK, but if they can use their feet or a submission then it's "gladiatorial?"

1. No one is forcing anyone to hit one another.

2. Amateur boxers wear head protectors and more padded gloves then professional boxers. Professional boxers wear less padded gloves but still wear gloves nonetheless with their laces taped to provide more protection to the other fighter. On top of that they have very well trained referees that observe both fighters and immediately step in if the fighter cannot continue.

MMA fighters do not wear padded gloves. They wear something akin to leather straps with less then an inch of padding. The only time an MMA referee steps in is when the other opponent is close to death by choking, their limbs are about to break, or their heads are being elbowed and bashed with bare fists as they lay their unconscious.

3. Choking, arm breaking, foot stomping, and hitting someone mercilessly on the ground is barbaric on many levels and can be defined as "Gladiatorial". Especially when they have these fights in cages......

Quote:
What is sloppy? Sure their boxing striking isn't on an elite boxing level, but that's because they have to be well rounded, so they have other things to worry about besides somebody only throwing punches at them.

Their boxing striking isn't even close to amateur in some of the events I've witnessed. Especially when they are in the upright position. It's all sloppy shoot fighting bar room brawl back yard mess. Anyone who watches it and says that there is an inkling of finesse is really pushing it. They might as well be in thunder dome.

Quote:
I think the whole "MMA craze" is because it's a new exciting sport. How or why would anybody feel like a rebel for watching something that comes on CBS?

New and exciting sport? This junk has been around for a very long time and I may add was illegal before numerous states men saw that they can tax the crap out of it and it will bring in untold amounts of revenue into their districts. At the expense of morality but whose counting right?

Oh, and ask every person who watches MMA. They know nothing about martial arts at all; all they care about is feeling tough when some poor idiot is getting his head split open in front of a semi-intoxicated audience.

It's sad.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 05:33 PM       
Quote:
It's all sloppy shoot fighting bar room brawl back yard mess
REMEMBER thE GREATEST BOXER OF ALL TIME ROCKY WAS A STREET FIGHTER
Role Assigner
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 07:45 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCoolinator View Post

1. No one is forcing anyone to hit one another.
SEMANTIX. Of course nobody is "forcing" anybody to do anything, but you have to hit another man in the face over and over again in order to win the contest. udum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolio
2. Amateur boxers wear head protectors and more padded gloves then professional boxers. Professional boxers wear less padded gloves but still wear gloves nonetheless with their laces taped to provide more protection to the other fighter. On top of that they have very well trained referees that observe both fighters and immediately step in if the fighter cannot continue.

Did you know that bare knuckle boxing is safer than boxing with 12-16oz gloves? Did you know that it is due to the larger glove size that people have a greater chance of suffering long term repercussion? There would be more broken hands, but less blunt trauma to the head. The boxing gloves argument is a really bad one to use if you're gonna throw safety out there. Udum.

As for the point about refs.. I'm sure there are many good refs, but they don't work for boxing, they work for the athletic commission. We aren't talking about the refs or athletic commission.

I'd say the judging in boxing is far, far worse than in MMA. I've seen three blatantly thrown fights on ESPN and HBO. Blatantly thrown. Even the in house announcers knew it. Udum.

Quote:
MMA fighters do not wear padded gloves. They wear something akin to leather straps with less then an inch of padding.

Once again, smaller gloves or no gloves at all is the best way to have a combat sport. Yes, hands will be broken, but you won't have long lasting head trauma. You can be a retard for the rest of your life(see Ali), and I'll stick with the arthritis. Udum

Quote:
The only time an MMA referee steps in is when the other opponent is close to death by choking, their limbs are about to break, or their heads are being elbowed and bashed with bare fists as they lay their unconscious.

You obviously don't watch any MMA. A lot of fights are stopped early because the ref deems it a TKO or the lesser fighter isn't protecting himself. Next, the fighters TAP OUT when they are done fighting, generally speaking. If one doesn't tap(which is a very stupid thing that only a fraction of fighters have ever done) then the ref steps in.

Once again, you obviously don't watch much MMA. udum

Quote:
3. Choking, arm breaking, foot stomping, and hitting someone mercilessly on the ground is barbaric on many levels and can be defined as "Gladiatorial". Especially when they have these fights in cages......
Chokes and locks are essential to most TRADITIONAL MARTIAL ARTS. These guys use their knowledge of judo, juijitsu, sambo, greco roman wrestling, traditional american wrestleing, etc. to defeat an opponent. It's funny because when MMA first started all these huge guys who use to box and bar fight thought they were going to destroy people with their hands. Funny story, a little 160lb man named Royce Gracie came in and nullified their attacks by using MARTIAL ARTS. He made them tap or put them to sleep. Nothing got hurt besides some egos/feelings. It's a combat sport. udum

Foot stomping doesn't exist in the USA. You cannot soccer kick a downed opponent without harsh consequences. Sorry, you lose.

What is the difference between hitting somebody mercilessly on the ground or mercilessly standing up? You generally hit people without mercy in any combat sport. Don't follow. udum

As for fighting in cages, does it really matter what they fight in? Japan uses a traditional boxing ring in most of their MMA promotions. That nullifies that point. Udum

Quote:
Their boxing striking isn't even close to amateur in some of the events I've witnessed. Especially when they are in the upright position. It's all sloppy shoot fighting bar room brawl back yard mess. Anyone who watches it and says that there is an inkling of finesse is really pushing it. They might as well be in thunder dome.

They aren't boxers. I'm not claiming that they have an elite traditional western boxing calliber pedegree, but to say that they are "sloppy shoot fighting bar room" brawlers is completely laughable.

Have you heard of Muay Thai? How about kick boxing? MMA fighters generally choose these two because it better suits their sport. Traditional western style boxing is very limiting. It serves its purpose for a boxing event, but has great limitations to real world scenarios or MMA matches. Put a kick boxer and a boxer against each other in an MMA fight and i'll choose the kick boxer everytime.

Udum.

Quote:
New and exciting sport? This junk has been around for a very long time and I may add was illegal before numerous states men saw that they can tax the crap out of it and it will bring in untold amounts of revenue into their districts. At the expense of morality but whose counting right?
Quote:

Oh, and ask every person who watches MMA. They know nothing about martial arts at all; all they care about is feeling tough when some poor idiot is getting his head split open in front of a semi-intoxicated audience.

It's sad.
And finally here is where we get to the real heart of your lame post. A lot of things use to be illegal before they became legal. Marrying outside of your race, sodomy, alcohol, etc. so don't give me some American morality arguement.

UDUM. JOHN MCCAIN(a politician who works for a state)was the one who led the crusade against MMA in the early 1990s. This KILLS your "numerous states men saw that they can tax the crap out of it and it will bring in untold amounts of revenue into their districts" shi*. It is still illegal in many states because of backwards idiots like yourself, and it has nothing to do with tax money. UDUM

I don't know who you've been talking to about MMA, but COOL STORY BRO. ANECDOTAL EVIDENCE FTW.

Ask anybody about boxing to see how much they really know about it. Do they understand boxing styles, the intricacies that come with those styles, why some fighters fight in a straight line, why some are unorthodox, what is unorthodox, or why a counter to the body after a left hook is thrown is a good idea?

Probably not.

Don't give me this ol' bullshi*. People watch things mostly because they are entertained by it and not because they fully understand it. I like to watch women jump rope in the rain while they're in their underwear. I don't understand it for the life of me, but god damn I can't get enough of it.

To add to that point just take a look at the NFL for Christ's sake. Most people don't know what's going on behind all the play calling, audibles, or techniques the players use, but they just know that at the end of the day one team has to have a higher score. Does that make the NFL some backwards redneck shi*? No. Are some of the fans backwards rednecks? Yes.

Fact is boxing is dying due to bad business practices, back room deals, promoters running the show, and 9865234 million titles that nobody gives a s*it about. Boxing use to be something really cool, I get it. Problem is that too many things have ruined it and now it's people like you who are simply butthurt that it's getting eaten alive by MMA. Instead of saying, "Hey I'm really jealous that MMA is doing so well. I wish boxing were doing better." You spew out stupid shi* that not only doesn't make sense, but it also makes you look like a complete non-thinking neanderthal, which is ironic because that is the very thing you try to paint MMA and it's fanbase as.

UDUM.
The Unicorn
Sam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contest
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 11:06 PM       
mmmmyyyyyyy nnn*gggggggggggaaaaa