Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old May 30th, 2003, 10:04 AM        Why won't Michael Powell listen?
From the Christian Science Monitor:

"Congress and the FCC have received hundreds of thousands of e-mails and letters on the topic. (FCC deregulation)Though the public debate is less than fever pitch, grass-roots meetings attended by various of the FCC's five commissioners have drawn crowds from a few dozen to nearly 1,000. The plan is opposed by both conservative and liberal groups, from the National Rifle Association to the National Organization for Women.

The two Democratic commissioners on the FCC's decision-making board, and members of Congress from both parties, have tried unsuccessfully to persuade Republican FCC chairman Michael Powell, son of Secretary of State Colin Powell, to delay the vote and allow more time to consider the rules. But the meeting is expected to go ahead, as planned, on Monday."

When the NRA and NOW are on the same side of an issue, doesn't that almost certainly mean it's right?

Why won't Powell allow debate? He's made it fairly clear he's going to deregulate the media even though no one outside the industry wants him to. Could it have something to do that most of the FCC travel, including hotels and food, is paid for by media conglomerates. and that of everyone in the FCC Powell recieved the most money last year from the very business concerns he's supposed to regulate?
Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old May 30th, 2003, 04:14 PM       
Anyone who wants to file a comment with the FCC and/or contact their congressperson can go here:
http://www.democraticmedia.org/getin...FCCFiling.html