Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Mocker
theapportioner is probably a spambot
Old May 27th, 2003, 10:02 AM        AFP -- Sharon backtracks on term "occupation"...
Sharon backtracks on term "occupation" in face of internal rebellion

JERUSALEM (AFP) - Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon went into damage-control mode after stunning the country and his own party by using the term "occupation" to refer to Israeli presence in the Palestinian territories.

"People did not understand me," a parliamentary source quoted Sharon as saying during a meeting of the committee on defence and foreign affairs.

"Attorney General Elyakim Rubinstein called me yesterday and confirmed that the official word used for the territories is 'disputed.'"

Sharon had caused a stir among his own ranks on Monday when he criticised the negative impact on Israel of the military occupation of the Palestinian territories, and already appeared to be regretting his comments.

"I think that the idea of keeping 3.5 million Palestinians under occupation is the worst thing for Israel, for the Palestinians and also for the Israeli economy," he told his fellow Likud MPs on Monday.

"You may not like the word, but what's happening is occupation," he insisted.

Israel's "control over the Palestinians cannot continue without end. Do you want to stay forever in Jenin, Nablus, Ramallah and Bethlehem? That is not right," he said.

Sharon was responding to a barrage of sharp criticism from right-wing Likud members after the cabinet's approval Sunday of the Mideast roadmap for peace, which foresees the creation of a Palestinian state by the end of 2005.

The comments, the softest statements ever known to have been pronounced by the premier, had threatened to further alienate the right-wing parties in his government coalition and the hardliners in his own party.

Shaul Yahalom, a member of the pro-settler National Religious Party, said Tuesday that he was relieved.

"I was in shock yesterday; I feel a bit better today," the sources quoted him as saying.

During the committee meeting, Sharon clarified a number of the reservations he submitted to the United States on the roadmap.

"It would take a miracle for the Palestinians to fulfill the demands listed by Sharon," rejoiced Yahalom, whose party voted against endorsing the peace blueprint on Sunday.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old May 27th, 2003, 11:13 AM       
"People did not understand me,"

"You may not like the word, but what's happening is occupation,"
Mocker

Abcdxxxx is probably a spambot
Old May 29th, 2003, 01:34 AM       
Well...he IS an extremist after all right?
Mocker

Abcdxxxx is probably a spambot
Old May 31st, 2003, 12:53 AM       
also to add some context to sharon's use of the term "occupation" ...

it's being said that the u.s. pressured him to do it, going so far as to threaten with a list of sanctions to be imposed on israel.

it's also being said that bush is counting on a palestinian state by 2003, and believes it's going to get him re-elected. or at least distract from the mess in iraq.

talk is that sharon was promised that the u.s. would put pressure on iran and remove the potential threat there.

the word "occupation" is so overused that it's meaning has changed. even bush supporters defending the war with iraq use the term "occupation". the west bank was considered "conquered" territory, or "disputed" land before the term "occupation" came into vogue during the clinton era.

also - don't be shocked if sharon goes the way of rabin and is assasinated for this speech. there are many who view rabin's concessions (that were supposed to be temporary, and a trial run) and irreversable and damaging because the oslo peace talks led to worse violence - not peace.
kilmie polanski is probably a spambot
Old May 31st, 2003, 07:39 AM       
Quote:
the creation of a Palestinian state by the end of 2005.
Come On...does anyone believe this is going to happen? :/ bush is kidding himself if he think he can create it by the end of this year.