Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old May 26th, 2003, 11:45 AM        Report: US plans death camp at Guantanamo
http://news.com.au/common/story_page...%5E401,00.html

US plans death camp
May 26, 2003

THE US has floated plans to turn Guantanamo Bay into a death camp, with its own death row and execution chamber.

Prisoners would be tried, convicted and executed without leaving its boundaries, without a jury and without right of appeal, The Mail on Sunday newspaper reported yesterday.

The plans were revealed by Major-General Geoffrey Miller, who is in charge of 680 suspects from 43 countries, including two Australians.

The suspects have been held at Camp Delta on Cuba without charge for 18 months.

General Miller said building a death row was one plan. Another was to have a permanent jail, with possibly an execution chamber.

The Mail on Sunday reported the move is seen as logical by the US, which has been attacked worldwide for breaching the Geneva Convention on prisoners of war since it established the camp at a naval base to hold alleged terrorists from Afghanistan.

But it has horrified human rights groups and lawyers representing detainees.

They see it as the clearest indication America has no intention of falling in line with internationally recognised justice.

The US has already said detainees would be tried by tribunals, without juries or appeals to a higher court. Detainees will be allowed only US lawyers.

British activist Stephen Jakobi, of Fair Trials Abroad, said: "The US is kicking and screaming against any pressure to conform with British or any other kind of international justice."

American law professor Jonathan Turley, who has led US civil rights group protests against the military tribunals planned to hear cases at Guantanamo Bay, said: "It is not surprising the authorities are building a death row because they have said they plan to try capital cases before these tribunals.

"This camp was created to execute people. The administration has no interest in long-term prison sentences for people it regards as hard-core terrorists."

Britain admitted it had been kept in the dark about the plans.

A Downing St spokesman said: "The US Government is well aware of the British Government's position on the death penalty."

Herald Sun

###
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old May 26th, 2003, 12:17 PM       
I really can't believe the administration would be doing this.

So close to an election year.

VinceZeb is probably a spambot
Old May 26th, 2003, 12:53 PM       
A death camp... give me a fucking break. The press is reporting this like they built gas chambers that are going to blast classical music as they execute millions of innocent people.

Drama. Pure and simple.
Old May 27th, 2003, 09:42 AM       
I don't know. Over a year being held in an outdoor chicken wire cage culminating in secret trials with army appointed officers as defense lawyers potentially followed by on site executions strikes me as kind of dramatic.

I don't think I'd call them 'death camps' exactly. They'd be more like the Kangaroo courts under Mao and Stalin, albeit on a much more limmited scale. But hey, Rome wasn't built in a day. I think if there's little public outcry and we cross our fingers I think little by little we cann work up to Totalitarianism.

Think of it this way, Vinth. There are foreign nationals from multiple countries at camp X-ray, including our allies. If we can establish an on the ground right to execute them following judgement by tribunal and with full secrecy, and we've already established the right to declre US citizens enemy combatants and remove their citizenship using secret evidence... well, who can say where it all might lead? Keep you fingerth crothed!
Will chop you good.
sspadowsky is probably a spambot
Old May 27th, 2003, 02:23 PM       
These people will become un-persons. Man, I've been thinking a lot about 1984 lately.
________
KNIGHT ENGINE

Last edited by sspadowsky : Apr 18th, 2011 at 06:06 AM.
Old May 27th, 2003, 02:28 PM       
Since the number of detainees has never been officially stated, we may never know. Can you think of another plausible reason for keeping these numbers secret?
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old May 27th, 2003, 04:11 PM       
Since when is the U.S. allowed to execute foreign nationals?
Old May 27th, 2003, 04:18 PM       
Since the Supreme court rubber stamped the legality of Military Tribunals during Afghanistan.

I think the official US stance on this is that "Enemy Combatants" have no rights, period. Not as prisoners of war, not as citizens of whatever country they hail from, not even as US citizens. The most chilling aspect of this is that the right of the executive branch to declare someone an 'enemy combatant' has not been questioned, and once you hve that status, you have no further rights. It's a formula for making people disappear.
Mocker

Abcdxxxx is probably a spambot
Old May 29th, 2003, 01:31 AM       
i'm starting to think we need watchdog groups to monitor the watchdog groups. this just reminds me why i can't identify with any "sides" platform position.... they're all fucking nuts.
Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old May 29th, 2003, 12:18 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abcdxxxx
i'm starting to think we need watchdog groups to monitor the watchdog groups. this just reminds me why i can't identify with any "sides" platform position.... they're all fucking nuts.
Careful. They're closing in. They already know your ISP. It's all legal, though, so it's cool.

Wherever you go, there you are.

VinceZeb is probably a spambot
Old May 29th, 2003, 12:57 PM       
That's right. We are all coming to get you. I am a simulated person that is a part of the "Carnivore" program. That is why my english is no too good.
Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old May 29th, 2003, 01:10 PM       
int Vince=0;

if Bush=1 then Vince =Vince+1;

Switch

case 1: If Vince=1, then cout <<"You liberal bastard! Case closed" ;

case 2: If Vince=0, the cout<<"Finally, a intelligent humans being";

Bennet's going to have a field day with this!

Wherever you go, there you are.

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old May 30th, 2003, 04:53 PM       
http://web.amnesty.org/library/index/engamr510782003
AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL
PRESS RELEASE

AI Index: AMR 51/078/2003 (Public)
News Service No: 130
29 May 2003

USA: The Guantánamo scandal continues
By dismissing Amnesty International's concerns about the hundreds of detainees held in the US Naval Base in Guantánamo Bay as "without merit", the White House is at the same time rejecting much wider international disquiet, Amnesty International said today.

"Since the transfers to Guantánamo began 17 months ago, numerous international, regional and national bodies, including governments and courts, have expressed deep concern about the situation of the detainees," Amnesty International said.

"Is that opinion all without merit?"

The UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, the UN Working Group on Arbitrary Detention, the UN Special Rapporteur on the independence of judges and lawyers, the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights, and the European Parliament, are among those who have voiced concern and called for remedies. The High Court in the United Kingdom has referred to the Guantánamo situation as "objectionable" and in "apparent contravention of fundamental principles recognized by international law". This month a US federal judge described the plight of the detainees as "deeply troubling" and "not consistent with some of the most basic values our legal system has long embodied".

"In March, Secretary of State Colin Powell said that states which show a high degree of respect for human rights are the most likely to contribute to international security," Amnesty International said.

"The administration should apply that sentiment to end the legal limbo of the Guantánamo detainees".

In a letter sent last month to Secretary of Defence Rumsfeld, Secretary of State Powell reportedly cited complaints from eight allied countries whose nationals are among the more than 650 Camp Delta detainees currently held without access to lawyers, relatives or the courts. Secretary Powell reportedly said that the situation of the detainees threatened to undermine international cooperation in the US-led "war on terror".

"We have repeatedly said that the US is violating international law and standards on this issue, including the principle that detainees should be able to challenge the lawfulness of their detention," Amnesty International said.

"We repeat our call for full and immediate remedies in the interest of justice and the rule of law".

Responding to Amnesty International's concern on Guantánamo in its annual report, White House spokesperson Ari Fleischer said yesterday: "I just dismiss that as without merit".

Continuing the pattern of official contempt for the presumption of innocence, Mr Fleisher referred to the uncharged, untried, unrepresented Guantánamo detainees as "terrorists" and "very dangerous people". Senior members of the executive, including President Bush and Secretary Rumsfeld, have made such public comments since the arrival of the first detainees in the Naval Base. Last month, following the revelation that children as young as 13 were among the detainees, a senior Pentagon spokesman said that "despite their age, these are very, very dangerous people" on a "terrorist team".

Also yesterday, the military revealed that there had been two more suicide attempts among the detainees over the past 10 days, bringing to around 27 the number of such instances.

This followed reports at the weekend of possible US plans for an execution chamber at the Guantánamo facility. While shocking, this would fit with the administration's proposal to try selected foreign nationals in front of executive military commissions with the power to hand down death sentences. Convicted prisoners would have no right of appeal to any court. No one has yet been named by President Bush to appear before the military commissions, but preparations for such trials continue and officials are being recruited.

"Indefinite detention without charge or trial, confinement to tiny cells for up to 24 hours a day, shackling during the bare minimum of exercise time granted, the cruelty of keeping relatives wondering about the plight of their loved ones, repeated interrogations without access to legal counsel, and the prospect of executions after unfair trials without the right of appeal," Amnesty International continued.

"Is it any wonder that the international community is asking serious questions about the USA's commitment to human rights?"

Amnesty International is awaiting a reply to its repeated requests for access to Guantánamo Bay. In a letter received from the Pentagon last month, the organization was denied access to the US Air Base in Bagram, Afghanistan. Disturbing allegations of ill-treatment of detainees have emerged from the interrogation section of the Bagram facility. Last week Amnesty International renewed its call for an impartial inquiry into the treatment of detainees in Bagram and for the results of the investigation into the deaths of two Afghan men in the base in December 2002 to be made public.

Public Document
For more information please call Amnesty International's press office in London, UK, on +44 20 7413 5566
Amnesty International, 1 Easton St., London WC1X 0DW. web: http://www.amnesty.org

For latest human rights news view http://news.amnesty.org

Zero Signal is probably a spambot
Old May 30th, 2003, 05:07 PM       
SELECT * FROM Vince WHERE Clue > 0

(0) rows returned.