Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Banned

TheCoolinator is probably a spambot
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 02:33 PM        Might and Magic fans in the house?
This topic is about one of the most fantastic fantasy RPGs ever created. The Grandpa of all MMO's.

.....(applause)

The first time I layed eyes on an M&M game was when I was working for KB toys as a youth. In the store we had some cheap PC games on the computer rack. So, one fine day I decided to spend some of my minimum wage salary on a random computer game. I took out my wallet, closed my eyes, point my finger into the mess of PC games sloppily placed on the rack and miraculously picked out Might & Magic 7. Now usually I don't buy games that are half way through a series but I gave it a shot nontheless. I brought it home, cracked it open, and installed it on my PC. What I discovered after 20 minutes of playing it was a First-Person / Group based / RPG.

It had all the hallmarks of a regular RPG but was completely different in the way it moved. You could toggle in and out of turn-based combat, you could walk around 3D rendered environments at will, Travel to places all over the map, Pick and choose your quests ,promotions, friends, enemies, the digital skies were the limit.

The only thing I could possibly compare it to today would be a non-online, non-multiplayer MMO. Now I understand how little sense that makes but there is really no other way I can describe it. You roam the vast expanses of the virtual world talking to NPC, competing quests, and mastering certain skills through apprenticeship.

I always wondered if 3DO and New World Computing didn't go the way of the dodo, would we have be playing Might & Magic's successor instead of World Of Warcraft?

Anyone else play any of the M&M's ? Heroes included.
Banned

Old Mar 18th, 2010, 03:47 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentegarn View Post
I liked the heroes series. I prefer Wizardry over M&M though for 1st person rpgs
I'll definitely check it out. Is it an older game?
SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 03:55 PM       
HOMMIII is the best. I use either Solimar the Genie or the one elf that comes with movement plus.
WHAT'S THIS?!
Pentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contest
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 08:46 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCoolinator View Post
I'll definitely check it out. Is it an older game?
It is an older series, you can try the NES versions of the first 2 out on the every video game sight

Wizardry 1: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord
http://www.everyvideogame.com/arcade...ay&gameid=1010

Wizardry 2: The Knight of Diamonds
http://www.everyvideogame.com/arcade...ay&gameid=1011

There were 8 in the original series, plus there was a PS2 one called "Tales of the Forsaken Land" that was interesting
Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 12:24 AM       
I've loved HOMM 2,3 and 5. Had a thing for the Undead.
WHAT'S THIS?!
Pentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contest
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 12:25 AM       
The Undead in 5 were just nasty, especially when your skelly archers just kept building up and you had 1k+ of them killing most stacks in 1 attack
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 12:30 AM       
Exactly! Get a few slots of 1k+ and they can do pretty well. I hated zombies though.
Banned

Old Mar 19th, 2010, 10:47 AM       
Quote:
The Undead in 5 were just nasty, especially when your skelly archers just kept building up and you had 1k+ of them killing most stacks in 1 attack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhukov View Post
Exactly! Get a few slots of 1k+ and they can do pretty well. I hated zombies though.
Quote:
Zombies had one purpose, meat shields for your archers and liches :P
Archers in general are pretty hard core at high levels, there is a spell that you can use that will stop them from being able to use their bows but I think it only lasts one turn. And in HOMM4 the zombie class continues to be just as tough. One of the hardest meat shields to get your troops through.

Last edited by TheCoolinator : Mar 23rd, 2010 at 01:59 PM.
SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 02:01 PM       
I never got a chance to play HOMM V. Was it pretty much III with better graphics?
Banned

Old Mar 19th, 2010, 03:16 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10,000 Volt Ghost View Post
I never got a chance to play HOMM V. Was it pretty much III with better graphics?
I can't really answer in detail because I only played it for an hour before uninstalling it. I didn't uninstall it because it was bad or anything, I just didn't have time to play it, and still don't

From what I remember it's beautifully rendered and the combat is pretty much the same. It actually reminds me more of HOMM3 combat style then HOMM4.

In HOMM4 the heroes have a lot of mobility while I believe in HOMM3 and HOMM5 they are stationary. The heroes can attack though in HOMM5 but you can't move them around the environment. After they hit their target they reset

Last edited by TheCoolinator : Mar 19th, 2010 at 04:01 PM.
SKATASTIC
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 03:50 PM       
I never got Heroes IV because I saw that the map enemies get their own roam turn where they can just walk over and attack you. I still want to play Heroes V because I heard you can recruit blade dancers who pretty could get away with having the last name of Daermon N'a'shezbaernon.
Banned

Old Mar 19th, 2010, 04:04 PM       
Quote:
I never got Heroes IV because I saw that the map enemies get their own roam turn where they can just walk over and attack you. I still want to play Heroes V because I heard you can recruit blade dancers who pretty could get away with having the last name of Daermon N'a'shezbaernon.
In HOMM3 all enemies are locked in place during battle? I never played it, I just read reviews and saw screen shots.

In HOMM5 the enemies can roam the combat environment just like in HOMM4 but the hero that leads them is stationary.
LOVES the tubal ligation!
Dimnos is probably a real personDimnos is probably a real person
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 04:30 PM       
What? Stationary enemies? What is this, a game for pussies? Go play Age of Wonders 2.
SKATASTIC
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 04:51 PM       
Quote:
In HOMM3 all enemies are locked in place during battle? I never played it, I just read reviews and saw screen shots.
On the world map enemies are locked in place. During combat they move around

Quote:
In HOMM5 the enemies can roam the combat environment just like in HOMM4 but the hero that leads them is stationary.
That sounds risky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimnos;
THE THING YOU SAID ABOUT AGE OF WONDERS
I've never played Age of Wonders....what's that ruckus about
LOVES the tubal ligation!
Dimnos is probably a real personDimnos is probably a real person
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 05:28 PM       

I havnt ever played a HOMM game but Im guess its a lot of the same thing. You pick a race you want to play (human, elf, orc, goblin, undead, etc.). You have one mighty wizard guy that is supposed to be you. You can also recruit "hero" units to join your regular armies that arent as bad ass as your wizard but are much better than your regulars. One scenario or level takes place on a large area map that has cities all over it, at least one of which is under your control. You can upgrade cities that you control to have different buildings and thus produce different units of your race. Build a wall around it so its easier to defend when attacked. You can also build a wizards tower that will extend the range of your spells so you dont even have to move out of it to nuke enemy units. You can even build a teleportation chamber in the tower so you can teleport to another one of your cities that has a tower. Of course you can always walk but thats for suckers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_Wonders_2
Ba-dum-tish. RIMSHOT!

ChrisGlass is probably a spambot
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 07:58 PM       
Quote:
HOMMV is HOMM3 remade in 3d. So it's good.
Old Mar 20th, 2010, 05:05 AM       
Yeah, it's like III only a little harder, I think. Obviously new enemies, heroes, races, spells etc.

No lizard people though, which saddens me
Turrican't. :(
Kitsunexus is probably a spambot
Old Mar 21st, 2010, 02:28 PM       
Can't go wrong with M&M III for the SNES, I've always wanted to play the Amiga version, though. I FUCKING LOVE THE SYNTHBRASS SAMPLE IN THE INTRO.FUCK
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Mar 21st, 2010, 07:19 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsunexus View Post
bye.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsunexus View Post
I came back to get my avatar (i deleted it and changed my mind), but no I'm not talking about FF, I'm talking about ED:

http://encyclopediadramatica.com/I-Mockery

After being here for a while (and this time posting more than one or two posts), I've come to the conclusion that they are 100% right. I have my avatar so I'm leaving. Bye.
bye.
Slim Goodbody
Supafly345 is probably a real personSupafly345 is probably a real person
Old Mar 21st, 2010, 08:58 PM       
I swear I don't care I just forgot my bags.
Old Mar 21st, 2010, 11:23 PM       
Guys, he's just here to collect his username.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 05:57 AM       
when i saw this thread i was all "oh man i bet coolinator likes one of the shitty might and magics after 6", and MAN sometimes i hate being right

mm2 is the best might and magic
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 06:13 AM       
oh also: using a 3d environment for an RPG "mmo-style" was DEFINITELY not invented by the Might and Magic series. see: elder scrolls: arena, daggerfall, and battlespire. maybe drakkhen too, although it switched from FPS view to sort of an adventure-game view during combats. Ultima Underworld 1 and 2 also did fps-style RPGs although they didn't have free-roaming outdoors areas.