Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Art
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

YOU GUYS ARE DOING GREAT
Rez is probably a spambot
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 07:03 PM        artwork
whether you like it or not, i've been at this for a year.

http://three-quarters.co.uk/underwor...rs/dubman.html
http://three-quarters.co.uk/underwor...s/dubman2.html
http://three-quarters.co.uk/underwor...s/dubman3.html
http://three-quarters.co.uk/underwor...s/dubman4.html

love it, hate it, i'm open to anything.

and i actually like to take art seriously so PLEASE nothing really retarded because you think its funny. constructive criticism is more than welcome.

YOU GUYS ARE DOING GREAT
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 08:38 PM       
bump.

KriptiK is probably a spambot
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 06:44 PM       
Very nice. I like the city ones the best. How long have you been making all of these?
YOU GUYS ARE DOING GREAT
Old Feb 20th, 2003, 07:31 PM       
started around august 01 and never looked back since, everythng is in order.

thank you

KriptiK is probably a spambot
Old Feb 20th, 2003, 11:23 PM       
I really like all of your real life photography too. Very nice.

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Feb 22nd, 2003, 05:32 PM       
alright honestly I do like some of the stuff - but I also think you show too much. How discerning and judgemental are you in what you display? I ask because I think some of your work takes away...

If you show all on theme because you are more based on process... I think it would help to explain that.

I think for you an artists statement would really be helpful

And also would like to know what mediums you are using... for you I think it does make a difference
YOU GUYS ARE DOING GREAT
Old Feb 22nd, 2003, 06:10 PM       
i show way too much. i thought the circle theme i did was really great when i did it. now i hate it, but oh well. i'm starting to not like the 3d shapes one i did, some of them still, but most not really

i'm still attached to "greenland" and the photos though, and some of the early ones resonate with me still. most of it still does actually.

but i show a lot because most of what i do is really personal when i do it. i get something really strong in my head, image, words, or music, and i get really hooked on it, and then i work on something that feels right for it and i put it out. i'm still damn proud of most of the stuff i did. the text crap was maybe a mistake in some areas, but i was a sad person then, so it made sense, and no emotion is really inferior to the next.

i was told it helps to explain each theme that i do because once i tell them, it makes more sense and they like it a lot more, but at first i wanted other people to see it teir way and see if it went on the same wavelength, but people are lazy or take everything at face value and tell me most of it sucks.

what got me into it in the first place is a program called microsoft photo editor. it was a cheap-ass free program i found on accident and figured i could make some neat light tricks and things with it. i was never much into art before. i appreciated it and all, but i was never compelled to do it. so then i found a primitive art program that helped me show to an extent what i hear when i listen to music, and what i see when i walk outside. so the first page is all microsoft photo editor

most of the second page is photoDELUXE, which was fun and exciting, then became monotonous and a bit boring after an extended period of time. not to be confused with photoshop, which is infinitely better and much more smooth. still, it was an able program and i liked it. i made 21st century building out of it when i pushed a certain feature farther than it was supposed to go and blasted out something wierd, which i too full advantage of. that and i was in full IDM mode. i found out it was easier to do this on photoshop, but i didnt have it then.

i bootlegged photoshop 7.0 from a friend and the first thing i did was my kingdom, then i got the idea to go from that and break things down again and again with "rim basic" then finally in "disintegration tests" i like rim basic the best out of all three so far. i continued screwing around with phootshop and put out the not-so-good "conversation" theme, which should have worked but i only realy like the last one. i then came up with dead cities because i'm nuts for symmetrical things that are intensely complicated. and i listened to too much music that was really cold so i was in a bad state. i still like it today. but i still dont know a LOT about hotoshop, since it didnt come with a manual and i'm figuring things out as i go along. he next thing out is some things i put a lot of heart into over time and presented some of them as huge prints to friends and family, then some more black and white photos, and then some colorful, texturized, but all around sparse stuff because thats where i'm at at the moment.

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Feb 22nd, 2003, 08:41 PM       
I am not familiar with these programs... so bascially are you saying your work all starts as a photo and then is photomanipulated into end product?

Quote:
i was told it helps to explain each theme that i do because once i tell them, it makes more sense and they like it a lot more, but at first i wanted other people to see it teir way and see if it went on the same wavelength, but people are lazy or take everything at face value and tell me most of it sucks.
Yes. See I certainly understand wanting to have people to interpret things on their own, and I personally do not like my explaining work either. But I think for you to get upset over bad responses or lack of responses when you don't have any explaination is definately asking too much from people . What you are showing is abstract and often with abstract art the problem is that it is interpreted like it was made too simply/without effort or purpose. Most people are going to look at http://three-quarters.co.uk/underwor...bman13_big.jpg and not get anything out of it, and probably think you are a charlatan. Even with explainations and artistic statements you will still get accused of such I am certain, but like I said that comes with the abstract territory I am sure you know.
I guess you need to decide which is better for you - to not explain and leave everything up to the viewer while at the same time alienating people - or to give a statement and purpose and by doing so maybe have a greater response.
Mocker
pjalne is probably a spambot
Old Feb 22nd, 2003, 08:54 PM       
Rez, I've said it before, and I have to say it again: Your user pic is fucking lightning in a bottle. I sometimes drop in just to see it.

I like the 'black & white' ones. It's nice how you almost can make out the shapes.