Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mocker
Jixby Phillips is probably a spambot
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 04:11 AM       
GODS LAST NAME IS DAMMIT JUST KIDDING ITS AMERICA
Is lame

LegoLars is probably a spambot
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 06:03 AM       
I WANT TO BELIVE.
but i can't. Just like FS said, when i was younger, i found it comforting me. But there is so much that can be explained.
There are so many religions, people get killed because of religion. I don't want to support somthing that kills men. therfore i remain an aethist. We were put here for no reason, it's up to us to make our short stay worthwhile.

Life has no meaning, It won't matter if we die. you can't live forever.
If there was a god why did'nt s/he make us immortal from the begining? Since we are, due to religon, creatures created by god, why do we fear death?

ineffable

sadie is probably a spambot
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 06:53 AM       
i wonder those things too. and why is it that the christians, who believe in a perfect heaven, are against abortion? these same people claim the world is evil, yet they fight for babies to enter it--even though they don't want to be burdened with welfare of them.
Ronnie Raygun is probably a spambot
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 09:35 AM       
"I hate how people thank God or Jesus when they win awards. Why the fuck would God give a shit about an award when there are people suffering? And why would God help that person win as opposed to helping everyone else win, too?" - Chimp

If I were to accept an award like that (never will of course) I would thank GOD what ever ability I was given to achieve such an award.

I don't think GOD is concerned about who wins either.

womanwithballs is probably a spambot
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 09:36 AM       
There is one other reason for creating god. What else would we scream in the throes of passion?

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 09:37 AM       
"FACE"

Old Feb 4th, 2003, 10:02 AM       
"Face?" That would depend on the position. heh heh heh

More people have been killed in the name of Christianity than any other religion. The bible is one bloody book. Anyone here ever checked out religioustolerance.org?

MutantEnemyBullseye is probably a spambot
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 10:04 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Raygun
You would have no way of knowing if GOD helped you or not anyway......unless you had that relationship.
That is true, there is no way of knowing. There is also no way of knowing if spotted rhino's are trying to trip you ever time you walk down the stairs. Or if pianos are committing suicide by jumping out of windows nearly killing you every time you walk by a building.
If there's no way of proving that he's not there, there is no reason to believe he is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Raygun
Bush never said that GOD should take the place of govt.'s responsibility.

He and many other Americans are Christian. The American public knew that when he was running for office. Why should he now stop being himself just because he's president?
And yes, we all knew he was Christian. But we didn't know he was going to use his beliefs to justify what may happen because of his decisions, or to reassure us that everything is okay because God will save us in the end anyway. Not to mention that most people didn't vote for him anyway, so it's not like we are forced to accept his crap.
Is lame

Old Feb 4th, 2003, 10:06 AM       
word

Old Feb 4th, 2003, 10:24 AM       
I'm not going to deny anyone his/her right to believe the way they choose to believe. I will however, get a bit ticked if they try to convert me. I have christian friends. We get along fine because we respect each other's beliefs. There are people who tell me I'm going to hell, but then I expect I'd see them there (if I believed) for judging me so harshly.
Is lame

Old Feb 4th, 2003, 10:28 AM       
since there are no hell to go to, why bother?
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 12:30 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by womanwithballs
More people have been killed in the name of Christianity than any other religion. The bible is one bloody book. Anyone here ever checked out religioustolerance.org?
Uhhh...some figures, please? NOT that you just simply pulled that statement out of your ass of course, and not that MOST major religions are responsible for serious amounts of bloodshed.

If you didn't build a time machine and go on a whimsical voyage of discovery yourself, I'd love to know where you got these "facts".
Mocker
theapportioner is probably a spambot
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 12:37 PM        Religion
Humans have created many of fictions to rationalize their bad behavior, religion being one of them. But, humans have also used fairy tales like patriotism, racism, nationalism, and even more liberal ideas such as equality and freedom, to justify badness. Don't lose sight of that.

FS is probably a spambot
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 01:26 PM       
In the heat of passion, I usually cry out ":sunglasses"
Mocker

Helm is probably a spambot
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 03:05 PM       
LOL

Old Feb 4th, 2003, 05:48 PM       
You want me to count how many people have been killed in the name of christianity? I don't have a clue. To be honest, my Death & Dying professor told us, but I don't remember. I'll ask my daughter. She has a much better memory than I do.

I won't lose sight of the fairy tales justifying badness, but we were discussing religion. I personally use equality and freedom to justify the GOOD things I do.

As a child, I used my boredom in Sunday school classes to justify hiding in the balcony until they were over.

FS, do you cry out "sunglasses" because your partner is so bright? (collective groan)
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 06:11 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by womanwithballs
You want me to count how many people have been killed in the name of christianity?
No, I wanted to point out how impossible any sort of quantitative measure of how many people Chrisitianity has killed is, and thus illustrate how ridiculous your statement was.

Yes, Christianity has killed a LOT of people, but so have a LOT of others, including many that aren't even around anymore.

Who can say which is responsible for the MOST death? Nobody.
Vibecrewangel is probably a spambot
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 06:18 PM        GOD
God is just a word. A word created by man. A word used to describe a concept. Something bigger than us. Something that we to this day can not understand.

If you read the stories from different religions and you strip away the names, the general premis is the same. The concept itself is the same.

All we are really fighting over is who's word for the concept is the "correct" one. God, Allah, Zuse, Universe, Energy or Sunglasses....it doesn't matter. They are all nothing more than words. Man places far too much importance in the name as opposed to the meaning behind it.
Legislacerator
ItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty ok
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 06:34 PM       
GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Vibecrewangel is probably a spambot
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 06:45 PM        GOD
Oh Italian Stereotype....were you hoping I'd gone away for good?

Old Feb 4th, 2003, 09:21 PM       
Please name one religion that could possibly be accountable for more deaths than christianity. Not being controversial so much as curious. Give me something to argue with my professor.

I don't think our disagreement is about the name of the higher power, but whether or not the higher power exists at all. My husband is muslim, and he believes. Sometimes he says God and sometimes he says Allah. Same HP to him though.
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 09:25 PM       
[quote="womanwithballs"]Please name one religion that could possibly be accountable for more deaths than christianity. Not being controversial so much as curious. Give me something to argue with my professor. [quote]

People do horrible things all the time in the name of something or other. It doesn't necessarily make the subject bad, it makes those people bad.
Lord Felch Demon
Ninjavenom is probably a spambot
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 09:28 PM       
I heard about a snuff film where a bunch of hooded guys jerk off around a hunchbacked kid as he is pulled apart by four horses running. I think it was called "The Little Spermaid".
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 09:33 PM       
People die for all sorts of shit. People have died over children's sports, but no one wants to disolve Pop Warner football or calls it a blight on humanity.

Basically, every religion I have encountered breaks down into 2 simple rules:

Love God (whatever form you worship Him/Her/It in)

Love each other

Most of the other stuff builds off of that. Since religion has been around for thousands of years, there is a lot of silly rules we don't understand. Them, some nut takes a few of these rules, twists them out of their original meaning and uses them as excuses for horrible things.

The Declaration of Independance clearly states that all men are created equal. Of course we realize what context "men" is in. You will obviously write off someone who uses this as the basis for claiming women as inferior as someone who is miseterpretting the document.
Custom User Title
kinot is probably a spambot
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 10:19 PM       
Ninja

Quote:
Ted McIlvanna, keeper of The Institute for the Advanced Study of Human Sexuality's collection of 289,000 sex movies and 100,000 videos, has seen only three on-camera deaths in 25 years of hard study. Two were accidents where not uncommon sorts of non-vanilla adventures went awry. The last was "a bizarre religious number from Morocco in which a hunchbacked kid was torn apart by wild horses while men stood around and masturbated".
http://www.urbanlegends.com/classic/...cil_adams.html :/