Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Vibecrewangel is probably a spambot
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 05:50 PM        Infringing on rights
I worked for a large company that allowed Catholics and Jews to have religious symbols in thier offices and cubes but would not allow "pagans" (I hate that term) to do the same. Nor could they visibly wear signs of their faith. This company was not run by either a Catholic or Jew, and the policy was instituted because some people were uncomfortable with the thought that pagans = satanist.

Does this infringe on the rights of the "pagans"?

Another company I worked at allowed women to have calandars of shirtless men in their cubes, but would not allow even the sports illustrated swimsuit calendar in a male's cube.
There was also a woman who used to weigh almost 300lbs who became a very sexy athlete. She had a collage of herself in her cube. There were pics of her camping, swiming, training, running, and biking. Nothing distastefull at all. However, other women complained that they felt discriminated against because some of her outfits in the pisc were "skimpy". She was forced to remove the collage. Nedless to say the women who complaied were the same ones with the shirtless men calendars.

What about this one?
Mocker

Abcdxxxx is probably a spambot
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 06:40 PM       
you think these people would even recognize a pagan symbol? at some point it's like a dress code. if you sign up for the job, and they want you to wear tan slacks and a light blue shirt, then you agree to give up some form of free speech. if you take an office job, then you agree to not put up a ten sided pentegram in your cubicle. it's no different. there's seriously a lot more to worry about in this world.
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 06:43 PM        .
But what makes one okay and not the other? If it's a dresscode, shouldn't it be across the board?

And yes, there are other things to worry about. But they are not the only things to talk about.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 07:49 PM       
All the happy crappy is about excercising control over other people. Offices, especially teh cubcile farm variety, are like Baboon documentaries without the narrator.

VinceZeb is probably a spambot
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 09:40 PM       
Is it wrong that it is unfair to pagans? Yes, it is unfair to them. But to most people of the judeo-christian-muslim belief structure, paganism exists because of lucifer.

Either let them have em all or have none. Simple as that.

And the chicks that are offended by the girl's picture need to do what I did and still do: Get off their fat asses and LOSE WEIGHT! If they want to look like that, go do it.

But there has to be resitrictions, since it is a private insitution. It would be not up to dress code standards if I wear my Number of the Beast album cover club shirt to work, so I don't.
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 01:34 AM        Rights
I brought this up since the double standard issues was being discussed in another thread.

It seems logical that since Americans tend to have so many double standards in their every day lives that the whole double standards thing would bleed over into larger issues.

I'm sure this seems pretty obvious to some, but others seem to think that these things aren't important enough to discuss. But, if these are smaller examples of the things we do on a larger global scale doesn't it bear looking at?
Mocker
The_Rorschach is probably a spambot
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 02:31 AM       
You want a double standard?

1979, shortly after the end of Vietnam, an imperialist power came to bear on Afghanistan. To counter it, the CIA and Pakistan's ISI (Inter Services Intelligence) launched the largest covert operation in the history of the CIA, and ironically, the only truly successful one. They conspired to inspire in Afghanistan a resistance movement which would militarily cripple the Soviets by expand their national defense into an offensive holy war, an Islamic jihad, which would turn Moslem countries within the Soviet Union into flash fires of insurrection which would, hopefully, deal a blow as harsh as what America had sustained in the Vietnam engagement. They were more successful than their wildest dreams could ever have predicted. Over the years, through the ISI, the CIA funded and recruited almost 130,000 mojahedin from 40 Islamic countries. The grunt mojahedin were totally and utterly clueless that their lives were actually being sacrificed on behalf of the US.

1989, after a decade of profitless hostilities the Soviets withdrew leaving a ruined civiliztion in their wake

War, however, continued without them. The jihad spread to Chechnya, Kosovo and eventually to Kashmir. The CIA continued to lend support with money and military equipment, Congress, however, was always a problem. They needed loquid assets that didn't require accounting for. Solution? The mojahedin ordered farmers to plant opium as a "revolutionary tax". The ISI aided operations which produced hundreds of heroin laboratories across Afghanistan. Within two years of the CIA's arrival, the Pakistan- Afghanistan borderland had become the biggest producer of heroin in the world, and the single biggest source of the heroin on American streets. The annual profits, said to be between $100bn and $200bn, were ploughed back into training and arming militants.

Oh! The double standard. You might recall a small war against Afghanistan recently where the US tried to put out the militant Moslems who were, SHOCK! AGHAST! manufacturing drugs and performing heinous acts.

VinceZeb is probably a spambot
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 07:18 AM       
Everyone has double standards. It's called being human.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 09:49 AM       
Tht's a subject you know nothing about. Simple as that, Subby.
Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 11:57 PM       
The Pagan thing definetely is grounds to go to court.
The Unseen is probably a spambot
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 12:06 AM       
I wouldnt hire witches to do computer work for me :/
Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 12:39 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unseen
I wouldnt hire witches to do computer work for me :/
Afraid of being transformed into a frog?
The Unseen is probably a spambot
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 12:43 AM       
yes