Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Movies & Television
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Aug 24th, 2009, 03:20 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsa View Post
Watched the redux version of Apocalypse Now. It's hard to believe that there was anything even longer than the original.
One of my favourite films, but I can't watch it all in one go. Far too long. With all the added scenes it's just ridiculous. I swear the part where they are at the French plantation goes for as long as the rest of it, with very little actually happening.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Guitar Woman is probably a real personGuitar Woman is probably a real person
Old Aug 24th, 2009, 05:15 AM       
Beyond Thunderdome!

BUST A DEAL

AND FACE THE WHEEL
teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old Aug 24th, 2009, 01:59 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhukov View Post
One of my favourite films, but I can't watch it all in one go. Far too long. With all the added scenes it's just ridiculous. I swear the part where they are at the French plantation goes for as long as the rest of it, with very little actually happening.

That, and because my mind didn't divide the dialogue I didn't realize how much of it was in French. I ended up translating most of the scene for my boyfriend, then I became annoyed at how much I was having to translate.

Marlon Brando's lengthy monologues at the end drag and drag and draaaaaaagggggg.
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 08:21 AM       
Well, they are very, very long, but what with my regime of taking breaks and skipping boring bits I am usually somewhat alert by the end. His monologues seem pretty interesting to me, they make no sense but sound like if you were concentrating hard enough, they would.

From memory:

"...like a snail crawling along a razorblade... that's my dream... that's my nightmare..."

hahaha.
teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 09:36 AM       
He may not even have been acting, though. His character wasn't far off of real life at that point. Remember Sacheen Littlefeather? He was into oppressed indigenous groups and protest.

Also, every time I see this movie I want to pinch Harrison Ford's and Laurence Fishburne's little baby cheeks.
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 10:00 AM       
Very nice of you Kitsa to link someone supporting Indigenous American rights, to a murderous renegade in Vietnam.

Still, he wasn't completely sound of mind. More power to him though; he did get paid somewhere in the vicinity of $75 000 simply to say "The horror... The horror..." after filming his role was completed.
teacup of sunshine
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 10:07 AM       
How do you know that his character was 100% murderous-renegade-totally-in-the-wrong? Montagnards are an oppressed people just like Native Americans. You should see some of the stuff about how the Colonial French bought up old guillotines just to make executions extra horrible for them.
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 11:55 AM       
Well I honestly can't for the life of me remember what he was actually doing there. You see the corpses hanging up around the place, and the senseless gibbering, and you sort of get a bad image of the guy.
teacup of sunshine
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 02:25 PM       
From what I got, he had the area Montagnards under some sort of psychotic benevolent dictatorship. He called them his "children" more than once, and I think that in general they were scared shitless of him but regarded him as some sort of protector.

But he was also very anti-Imperialism and anti-Interventionism, making him an enemy of the stubborn Indochine colonialists and the American forces in Vietnam. Unless, of course, they showed signs of his own unique train of thought. He must have thought that Martin Sheen's character had some potential in that direction, or else he would have been another random head rolling around. Or maybe he just spotted the leader of the group and decided what needed to be done...allow him to live and to do what he was sent to do.
SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old Aug 27th, 2009, 12:23 PM       
Watched Inglourious Basterds yesterday. I could see how some people though some of the movie was boring, it wasn't though. A few others I've talked to said they were disappointed due to the lack of action scenes. It didn't have a lot of action but it was paced well with the story. When I first heard about Tarentino's idea to make a war epic around 2003 I was a bit put back and against it because it was between filming basterds and grindhouse.

After seeing grindhouse(which I loved) I was then ready to appreciate for the basterds.

Highly recommended.
teacup of sunshine
Old Aug 27th, 2009, 03:07 PM       
I saw Bruno yesterday. It wasn't as hilarious as I thought it would be, but the bf laughed himself sick.
filthiest soap dish
Babs is probably a spambot
Old Aug 27th, 2009, 10:36 PM       
I just watched Fists of Fury, Chinese Connection, and Return of the Dragon.
beautiful freak
Aimless is probably a spambot
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 03:24 AM       
footloose, cottage and the pied piper of hutzovina.
SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 02:13 PM       
Caught the boxing match between Rocky and some guy in Rocky Balboa but fell asleep before they got to the last round.
Unfunny Python Reference
Ex Leper is probably a real personEx Leper is probably a real person
Old Aug 29th, 2009, 01:14 PM       
inglorious Basterds. Another classic in the Tarantino cannon. He even made Eli Roth look cool, which is an amazing accomplishment.
beautiful freak
Aimless is probably a spambot
Old Aug 29th, 2009, 02:43 PM       
I finally watched Say Anything. The movie was kinda meh but I fell in love with Cusack all over again.
Mocker
Ant10708 is probably a spambot
Old Aug 29th, 2009, 05:09 PM       
Inglorious basterds: enjoyable movie but not sure if it will be very enjoyable on the second or third watch
Old Aug 30th, 2009, 07:25 AM       
Inglorious Basterds. It was the absolute worst thing I have seen for a long long time. Painfully obvious that he didn't have enough material or dialogue to make an entire movie, so he just works some ol' Tarantino magic and turns drinking a glass of milk into a five minute scene.

3 hours later and I didn't have a clue who half the characters were, and what their story was. I didn't care.

The brutality is meant to shock us, but it's a WWII film (thanks for ruining one of my favourite genres Quentin!) and I think the audience should be prepared somewhat - Germans shooting Jews? Get out of town! - but I know the director thought he was being as cutting edge and IN YOUR FACE as he always thinks he is. Is the disregard for an honour amongst soldiers supposed to be cool and BADASS, or is it scathing social commentary? I don't give a shit anymore.

It's a collection of suspensful scenes, one after the other, and they're really not that suspensful after the first one because the same thing happens. Good guy meets Bad guy, Good guy tries to con Bad guy, Bad guy plays along, but we all know he secretly knows too. TENSION. AGAIN AND AGAIN.

Chapter titles, bold font, pointing out who Herman Goring is just in case history buffs missed the fat, blond man in the Luftwaffe uniform - fuck off. At least get a decent looking Hitler.

My memory has begun the process of collecting all known records of this abomination, and is burning them before the Allies arrive.
Unfunny Python Reference
Old Aug 30th, 2009, 07:15 PM       
The Final Destination. GAAAH I hated this movie. I liked the first 2 and 3 was ehh, but this made me cringe (and not for the gore). The loud audience was more entertaining

- Some Lady (I don't Want To See This SHIT!)
- Same Lady (That's Fucking Gross!)
- Kid (The house is going to blow up *sarcastically*)
- Me (THEY DID THAT IN THE FIRST MOVIE!)

You may say "What Do You Expect?" Well, entertainment for 1, but all i got was frustration & a headache from the 3D Glasses. Even the title is annoying.
filthiest soap dish
Babs is probably a spambot
Old Aug 31st, 2009, 07:49 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhukov View Post
Inglorious Basterds. It was the absolute worst thing I have seen for a long long time. Painfully obvious that he didn't have enough material or dialogue to make an entire movie, so he just works some ol' Tarantino magic and turns drinking a glass of milk into a five minute scene.

3 hours later and I didn't have a clue who half the characters were, and what their story was. I didn't care.

The brutality is meant to shock us, but it's a WWII film (thanks for ruining one of my favourite genres Quentin!) and I think the audience should be prepared somewhat - Germans shooting Jews? Get out of town! - but I know the director thought he was being as cutting edge and IN YOUR FACE as he always thinks he is. Is the disregard for an honour amongst soldiers supposed to be cool and BADASS, or is it scathing social commentary? I don't give a shit anymore.

It's a collection of suspensful scenes, one after the other, and they're really not that suspensful after the first one because the same thing happens. Good guy meets Bad guy, Good guy tries to con Bad guy, Bad guy plays along, but we all know he secretly knows too. TENSION. AGAIN AND AGAIN.

Chapter titles, bold font, pointing out who Herman Goring is just in case history buffs missed the fat, blond man in the Luftwaffe uniform - fuck off. At least get a decent looking Hitler.

My memory has begun the process of collecting all known records of this abomination, and is burning them before the Allies arrive.
I expected this from Tarantino, it's why I didn't even bother going to see it.

It all honesty though, is it seriously that bad? Bad as in it ruined the WWII genre? It seems plausible that Tarantino could of put the last nail in the coffin.
SKATASTIC
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 10:43 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex Leper View Post
The Final Destination. GAAAH I hated this movie. I liked the first 2 and 3 was ehh, but this made me cringe (and not for the gore). The loud audience was more entertaining

- Some Lady (I don't Want To See This SHIT!)
- Same Lady (That's Fucking Gross!)
- Kid (The house is going to blow up *sarcastically*)
- Me (THEY DID THAT IN THE FIRST MOVIE!)

You may say "What Do You Expect?" Well, entertainment for 1, but all i got was frustration & a headache from the 3D Glasses. Even the title is annoying.

Just went to see Final Destination 3D. I was expecting it to be bad but not that bad. The 3D was pretty awful, it looked more like really good high-def. I was especially angry at the ending. It felt almost like they(the makers of the film) gave up on it.
teacup of sunshine
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 11:21 AM       
I never watched any of those Final Destination movies. To me they seemed like that primal "play on the fears of the invincible youngins" thing that just seems so fucking done already.
SKATASTIC
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 11:35 AM       
The first Final Destination was actually pretty good. It had Devon Sawa and they had some interesting deaths as I remember.

For the 3D one though the cause and effects were ridiculous. I feel like Death himself must either have a wry sense of humor or be a big fan of "Mouse Trap"
Unfunny Python Reference
Old Sep 4th, 2009, 09:43 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10,000 Volt Ghost View Post
The first Final Destination was actually pretty good. It had Devon Sawa and they had some interesting deaths as I remember.

For the 3D one though the cause and effects were ridiculous. I feel like Death himself must either have a wry sense of humor or be a big fan of "Mouse Trap"
I agree, The first two films were quite enjoyable, 3 was good on DVD because it gave you choices but in the 4th Death just gave up and started throwing rocks into peoples heads
Amicable Herculean
captain516 is probably a real personcaptain516 is probably a real person
Old Sep 6th, 2009, 11:36 PM       
Porco Rosso. It was pretty good. I shat bricks when I found out Michael Keaton voiced him.