Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > General Blabber
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Aug 17th, 2012, 10:51 PM        DECISIONS
At the end of this summer, I need to sorta decide what to do with my life. I got my bachelor's degree in writing/communications at the end of April, but I haven't bothered applying to anything in my field yet. I've already done enough work in that field that I have a bit of experience and a degree, which is nice, but everything that I've looked at looks boring and shitty.

Here's the thing: I can either keep looking and do the scattershot approach with my applications, hoping that I hit something acceptable to me, or I can spend a few months (I was thinking of going up until early December) working on oil rigs, which means reeeeeally good money, even at the base level, but absolutely filthy, horrible fucking work. If I did the latter, I could pay off some looming debt and likely put a sizeable down-payment on a new vehicle, but I'd be away from home (but still in my province) and hate my life for those months.

I realize that this is one of those first world problems, but I'd still like some thoughts from anyone with anything worthwhile to say.

That was very funny. Well done.
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Aug 17th, 2012, 10:54 PM       
My friend used to do the fishing thing in Alaska and pay off huge amounts of bills. You just can't drink. Booze costs 20 times more and will eat away your whole check.
The Glum Cunt
k0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contest
Old Aug 17th, 2012, 10:57 PM       
I am not doing anything with my life, so I can't give any advice, but my sister graduated just recently with a bachelors in some kind of science or something. But she got a job after applying to hundreds of places. You just have to apply to a fuck ton of them...but you probably have to be willing to move.
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Aug 17th, 2012, 11:16 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadao View Post
My friend used to do the fishing thing in Alaska and pay off huge amounts of bills. You just can't drink. Booze costs 20 times more and will eat away your whole check.
The great thing about where I live is that I don't have to go as far as Alaska, and booze costs the same pretty much everywhere in the province. A number of the guys who do the oil field thing get into drugs, though. It's seriously a problem of young guys having more money than they know what to do with, a lot of the time.

As a direct result of the oil thing, the province's economy is pretty good, so there are plenty of jobs that don't require moving--it's just a matter of finding one that won't make me want to blow my head off.

BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Aug 17th, 2012, 11:17 PM       
you probably shouldn't take any advice from me because im kind of a loser but I suggest doing the oil field job, but not really for the money.
i think maybe you'll find it extremely satisfying and not so horrible and even if you don't you'll have one of those life experience things.

like the end of office space
The Wolf
Old Aug 17th, 2012, 11:22 PM       
I spent a couple summers doing oil field stuff, and the summer that I was at a plant wasn't as horrible as I thought it'd be. The other one was the worst job I've ever had, and then we got shut down and me and another guy got laid off. Still, I made enough money in a couple of weeks, and with the previous summer's tax return, that I didn't have to work at all for the rest of the summer.

I know what you mean, but I don't think there's a lot of satisfaction to be had in some of these jobs--at least not for me.

BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Aug 17th, 2012, 11:23 PM       
being unsatisfied and partially miserable is what makes it ultimately satisfying and life-fulfilling
BANNED

Old Aug 17th, 2012, 11:25 PM       
i kind of want to do one of those winter ice fishing expeditions where you can die but you get paid a shitload, mostly so i can maybe almost die

tadao do you know how i can find one of these jobs?
The Glum Cunt
k0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contest
Old Aug 17th, 2012, 11:29 PM       
If I tried the ice fishing winter deal, I would probably get air lifted off of the boat. I don't do well under super stressful conditions. That's why I tend to take jobs where I can lounge around most of the time.
BANNED

Old Aug 17th, 2012, 11:31 PM       
ive never even been on an ocean boat, so I'd probably get all seasick and die from seasickness. not even a cooldeath like beng cut in half by a boat or freezing to death in the water
The Wolf
Old Aug 17th, 2012, 11:39 PM       
Some of these jobs are pretty dangerous too, actually; a lot of people get injured on a regular basis. A friend in high school had his face burnt pretty badly, and a buddy's younger brother had scalding water or something dumped on him recently. I also remember someone telling me about some guy getting all of his teeth knocked out, or something.

I almost wish death was more likely than a horrible maiming.

BANNED

Old Aug 17th, 2012, 11:58 PM       
i used to live in a city with a lot of oil field jobs and people did occasionally die/get maimed/lose fingers and shit

THATS WHAT MAKES IT FUN ZOMBOID
taco loving zombie
darkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty ok
Old Aug 18th, 2012, 12:07 AM       
when i was living in canada one of my friends lost a couple of fingers and still managed to play video games so i say go for the oil thing

ps. you are not asking here just so you can blame it on someone else if you don't like it right?

SANTO el enmascarado de plata
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Aug 18th, 2012, 12:24 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahljorn View Post
tadao do you know how i can find one of these jobs?
My buddy is coming to visit next friday. I'll ask him how he contacted the people. Meth is the drug of choice for Alaskan fishing.
Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Aug 18th, 2012, 02:20 AM       
Just put off doing something with your life for a few more years; like the rest of us.
BANNED

Old Aug 18th, 2012, 03:32 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadao View Post
My buddy is coming to visit next friday. I'll ask him how he contacted the people. Meth is the drug of choice for Alaskan fishing.
sweet
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Aug 18th, 2012, 09:37 AM       
Doesn't a degree in communications guarantee that you'll be working in the oil fields anyways?
☆☆☆☆☆
Old Aug 18th, 2012, 11:39 AM       
I applied to be an Electrition in Kuwait 1 year before Sadam set it on fire. Good thing they didn't want me.
The Glum Cunt
Old Aug 18th, 2012, 01:02 PM       
I didn't know Kuwait had electricity yet. I just imagine a bunch of dudes in caves hammering things with rocks. And how did he set stone caves on fire? This is a confusing day.
BOO! A SPOOPY GHOST :x
Esuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contest
Old Aug 18th, 2012, 01:09 PM       
The process of applying to jobs pertaining to my degree was the hardest thing I've ever had to deal with in my life. Harder than actually earning the degree, and harder than the job is itself. It was month after month of borderline depression, money worries, and hopelessness

So in my opinion, if you have the guaranteed opportunity to earn some money just take it. Worry about happiness later. I don't know how the economy is in Canada but I'm an engineering/physics graduate who actually got to the point where I was applying to movie theaters because I was running out of money. Fuck that shit.

TomWritesAboutStuff.com - The #1 Worst Blog
BOO! A SPOOPY GHOST :x
Esuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contest
Old Aug 18th, 2012, 01:10 PM       
I responded seriously. But I am a serious man now.

TomWritesAboutStuff.com - The #1 Worst Blog
☆☆☆☆☆
Old Aug 18th, 2012, 02:34 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0k0 View Post
I didn't know Kuwait had electricity yet. I just imagine a bunch of dudes in caves hammering things with rocks. And how did he set stone caves on fire? This is a confusing day.
Well I didn't know bitches could be opaque in Texas. I guess the world is full of mysteries.
The Glum Cunt
Old Aug 18th, 2012, 02:42 PM       
Everyone's opaque. Light travels through us all.
The Wolf
Old Aug 18th, 2012, 03:53 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by AChimp View Post
Doesn't a degree in communications guarantee that you'll be working in the oil fields anyways?
Not necessarily. It's specialized in writing, so it's a bit more broad, but yeah, in Edmonton, a lot of jobs are still related to the oil field.

Milhouse - Yeah, I expected you to have something to say. The economy definitely seems to be a bit better here, but looking at some of these jobs and thinking about how much debt I have while still adding to it is really depressing. I'm leaning towards the money right now because if I don't, I'll just be broke after paying monthly expenses and fractions of my debt. It really seems like it'll take forever just to get out of the red.

Slim Goodbody
Supafly345 is probably a real personSupafly345 is probably a real person
Old Aug 18th, 2012, 08:47 PM       
Working in the oil rig doesn't sound so bad, the days would probably go by quickly, and as long as your hair was short the filth wouldn't be too much of a bother I imagine. That kind of work really eats away at your health I hear though, so it you are ever gonna do it, do it young and just while young.