Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Kulturkampf is probably a spambot
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 05:46 AM        Give Trials To Guantanamo Inmates
"HABEAS CORPUS: The US Justice Department has asked judges to dismiss cases involving at least 300 prisoners at Guantanamo Bay who are challenging their detentions."

I feel it is not proper for Pres. Bush to do it this way at all -- I am a conservative and generally back conservative principles, but there is a distinct problem with this: we have taken them out of the Justice system in many ways and taken all transparency out of the process with secret tribunals.

Something Republicans should agree with:
(1) To avoid totalitarianism, a government must let people see what they are doing.
(2) To uphold the ideals of the Republic and what our forefathers penned, we must recognize that all men are created equal and endowed with certain inalienable rights
(3) To be successful in our war and teach the Middle East democracy, we must insure completely transparent and appropriate justice process.

So I truly am a bit disturbed by it, because there are people who entered Guantanamo as 16-17 year old no names in the al-Qaeda organization, that have now spent what should be the best years of their lives sitting in a 6 foot by 9 foot cell.

Why?

Because they were zealous youths who, having no real education other than the Koran and having no concept that has not been tainted by the Taliban regime or other super-religious institutions, decided to join up and fight. Now, because they bore witness to the sins of their leaders, they are being held without opportunity, wasting away in these cells...

Certainly, there should be appropriate jail sentences and certainly there are some who should be executed after a trial, but there are others who are nothing more than scared kids.

You could have easily come out of an Afghanistani woman and ended up overzealous and preached to your entire life as such, and brainwashed by a local regime come to view characters as ibn Laden as heroes.

Furthermore, it is just a situation where we need to find some resolution to the issues that we faced, and to do that, we cannot keep men around in cages for 20 years waiting military tribunals that are questionable at best.
Näyttelijäbotti!
Pub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty ok
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 07:05 AM       
Open Trials are for Hippies & Liberals. Those prisoners must be tortured for all the information they may give, & then summarily executed to prevent them from spawning more of their hateful breed.

Only the weak believe in good and evil.

Might is right.

For Serious!

Old Jan 12th, 2006, 08:11 AM       
I may be a conservative, and I definitely do not sympathize with the barbarian cultures in the face of civilization, but I do note that what we are doing there is incorrect.

We need to provide a degree of justice -- our own values, our own way of life. It is justice. I tis democracy. It is modern americanism.
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 09:02 AM       
Oh my fucking God, you're a closet liberal!
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 10:07 AM       
Uhm... I hate to be a cunt and all...

But expressing a point of view I agree with doesn't change anything about your hideous writing skills coupled with your pretentious narcisism. Slow down. Think about what you want your sentences to convey. If you believe your opinion is correct, show it some respect by writing clearly. YOU ARE NOT READY for flourishes and style.

Unless you plan on fighting the culture wars with a baseball bat you need to learn to express yourself clearly.

Think of your big culture war heroes. I disagree with them, I think their logic is flawed and their hearts and minds are posionous swamps, but every single one of them can express themselves. You will never be anything but a drone thug in the culture war used only as a body and your voice will be valued only for its volume if you don't slow down, stop being impressed by how smart you think you are and learn to think and express yourself lots better.

Great idea about the tattoos on your face and hands, though. Nothing says 'My ideas have Merit' better than ink on your face.
Mocker
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 11:16 AM       
I wanna get a tattoo on my forehead that says "IF YOU CAN READ THIS, GET THE FUCK OUTTA MY FACE!"
Legislacerator
ItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty ok
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 01:03 PM       
max, what exactly is wrong with his writing skills? have you seen the new charlie and the chocolate factory? you're acting like willy wonka when he kept telling that kid that he was mumbling.
Will chop you good.
sspadowsky is probably a spambot
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 01:09 PM       
Everyone knows fags are the only real threat to America.
Now with less sodium!

Immortal Goat is probably a spambot
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 01:14 PM       
LOL, that movie was great!

Oh, and while I don't see much wrong with his writing style, he does make some strange grammatical choices. For instance:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulturkampf
I feel it is not proper for Pres. Bush to do it this way at all -- I am a conservative and generally back conservative principles, but there is a distinct problem with this: we have taken them out of the Justice system in many ways and taken all transparency out of the process with secret tribunals.
I would have written it more like this:

Quote:
I do not feel it is proper for Pres. Bush to handle this situation in this way. I am a conservative, and I generally uphold those principles, but I see a distinct problem here. Our government has excluded these prisoners from the justice system in many ways, and has only made things worse by holding secret tribunals
I know my version isn't perfect, but I didn't quite get what he meant by the transparency of the process. But that is less redundant and generally more linear and understandable. This just goes to show that his ideas, while generally fueled by blind hatred of so-called "liberals", can still at least SOUND more intelligent. And actually, his ideas in this thread really aren't all that bad.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 02:10 PM       
"max, what exactly is wrong with his writing skills?"
-Eye Tie

"You could have easily come out of an Afghanistani woman and ended up overzealous and preached to your entire life as such, and brainwashed by a local regime come to view characters as ibn Laden as heroes. "

"Furthermore, it is just a situation where we need to find some resolution to the issues that we faced, and to do that, we cannot keep men around in cages for 20 years waiting military tribunals that are questionable at best."
-Kultureclub

I have seen Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. In IMAX! Wonka says 'stop mumbling' to Mike TV because he doesn't like the content of what he's saying. It's a joke. He pretends to be unable to hear things he doesn't like, and blames the speaker. I've sighted two threads, one in which Kluttercub argues that Gitmo detainees need trials and that true Republicans ought to agree, and one in which he argues that people mistakenly believe that Greece in it's heyday thought Homosexuality was A OK. Or something. I agree with one of these opinions, and the other one... well, honestly I can't totally get a hold of what he's trying to say. It's either about ancient Greek Homos or people who justify homosexuality by way of Ancient Greek Homos. I 'hear' both posts perfectly well. Okay, not so much the greek one, but it has nothing to do with his viewpoint which I'm sure is in their somewhere and has something to do with think poorly of Homos.

I have three complaints.
1.) I think his writing is awful. Not a sin in and of itself.
2.) He thinks himself far too erudite. He's aping a style, and not that well. Also not a sin in and of itself
3.) He's very whiny about no one careing to take him seriously, and he thinks it's because of the content of what he's saying, and how very bold and shocking it is to liberal like us. That's extremely egotistical.

In addition he is a Boobie. He wants to leave the army not out of boredom, not for reasons of policy, not to explore other options or spend more time with his family or avoid getting killed or even because he feels the army no longer provides whatever life experience he desires. They won't let him tattoo his hands and face. And he wants to be a college professor. So he can better fight the culture war. Which he believes is more dangerous than terrorsim. He's not a mumbler, he is a doofus or a fake, but fakes usually can't fake his extremely individual phrasing.

Alo, I'm pining for Vinth.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 04:45 PM       
I think his run on grammar quarrels are him trying to seem smart. They aren't really used in the right places. I know I'm not exactly a grammatical genius, in fact, usually when I write I pretty much ignore any methodological form of grammar and just kind of throw them in as seems appropriate(which is exactly how I write, too). However, I generally try to avoid using hyphens as a comma or whatever he was using it for. Aren't those supposed to be like paranthesis, practically? They're used for seperating irrelevant or inconsequential ideas from the bulk, right?
GO AWAY DONT POST HERE

davinxtk is probably a spambot
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 02:37 AM       
The semicolon is the most underrated punctuation mark.
(1:02:34 AM): and i think i may have gone a little too far and let her know that i actually do hate her, on some level, just because she's female
(1:03:33 AM): and now she's being all kinds of sensitive about it
(1:03:53 AM): i hate women

Old Jan 13th, 2006, 03:32 AM       
I do not want to try to sound smart more as I want to sound as if my arguments are right. I am not concerned with what people think of me.

How come these threads are never about the ideas in them that are presented?

I'll start a thread on face tattoos later, and I'll start a thread on writing style and other things later.

The issue is that the Republicans are turning their back on our ideals of freedom and justice and concepts such as a 'speedy trial.'

But whatever.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 11:20 AM       
"I am not concerned with what people think of me. "

But you are concerned with what people think of your arguments, yes? I'm not asking you to sound smart. I'm asking you to make an effort to present your ideas clearly and well.

"How come these threads are never about the ideas in them that are presented?"

I can only speak for myself, but it's because your presentation is far more amusing than your ideas are interesting. If a twelve foot tall man with a head the size of a medicine ball and two hook hands is drooling all over sokme watches he is trying to sell on a street corner, I'm far more likely spend my attention on him, even if the watches are good. And your watches aren't that good. And I can barely see them under the drool. And I already have a watch. Under the circumstances I'm MUCH too intrigued by your bulbous, drooling head swaying on your gangly neck to even think about your watches. Hell, I haven't even noticed your hook hands yet.

"The issue is that the Republicans are turning their back on our ideals of freedom and justice and concepts such as a 'speedy trial.' "

I agree. Even though since 'republicans' is plural 'back' ought to be too. Personlly I feel any Republican that gives a hoot over any of those concepts really oughtn't to waste their time on the whole 'culture war' crap fest, which is a huge diversion from things that actuallly matter, like Freedom, Justice, the constitution, the bill of rights etc. etc. but that's just me.

Are you happier now I've bought a watch? I'd rather watch your head bob in the wind. It's funnier and slightly endearing.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 11:26 AM       
"The issue is that the Republicans are turning their back on our ideals of freedom and justice and concepts such as a 'speedy trial.' "

That's news to me!
Pharaoh is probably a spambot
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 05:33 PM       
Quote:
I may be a conservative, and I definitely do not sympathize with the barbarian cultures in the face of civilization, but I do note that what we are doing there is incorrect.

We need to provide a degree of justice -- our own values, our own way of life. It is justice. I tis democracy. It is modern americanism.
I agree, but I think the five British prisoners, who were released last year, should have been charged with treason in Britain. They were willing to fight against British troops and should be thrown out of the country for that.
Mocker
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 05:49 PM       
Oh yeah?

Old Jan 13th, 2006, 09:22 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharaoh
Quote:

I agree, but I think the five British prisoners, who were released last year, should have been charged with treason in Britain. They were willing to fight against British troops and should be thrown out of the country for that.
I agree, it is something where eople should be tried -- particularly people taking up arms against their own nations, for certainly it is a treasonous action and we shouldn't simply turn our back on it.

Individual cases should be handled as such, and certainly there are people amongst the guantanamo inmates that need lifetimes in jails, and others that have already served their dues.

We'll see how it works out.

Mburbank: it's getting old.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 10:23 AM       
Oldness should be handled as such if certainly amongst are posters there is standng out one who such as you compared to others is not making the writing of sentences a goal toward the enhancement of the understanding of his ideas.
Mocker
Ant10708 is probably a spambot
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 02:30 PM       
I use to enjoy readiny your posts Max. Now I feel like I'm listening to a classmate being lectured by a teacher out to get him.

Edit: That typo embarasses me. Someone please correct it and any other grammar errors I have in my post.
GO AWAY DONT POST HERE

davinxtk is probably a spambot
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 12:21 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by mburbank
Oldness should be handled as such if certainly amongst are posters there is standng out one who such as you compared to others is not making the writing of sentences a goal toward the enhancement of the understanding of his ideas.

you motherfucker i ate mushrooms last night don't do this shit to me
(1:02:34 AM): and i think i may have gone a little too far and let her know that i actually do hate her, on some level, just because she's female
(1:03:33 AM): and now she's being all kinds of sensitive about it
(1:03:53 AM): i hate women
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 02:04 PM       
I don't mind if you feel like I'm a teacher lecturing a classmate as long as it was the TEACHER WITH THE GREAT BIG BRASS BALLS AND THE SEVENTIES MUSTACHE!

Otherwise, fuck you.